bobby

Just Added An Aux Input To My 02, For Under $20

Starting the thread, don't have pics up yet.. will tonight.. I searched and searched and really didn't find a cheap way to do this... I did find an article on adding an aux with the tape player, which will work with the cd player, but you will lose your cd player function.. I figured I could use a switch to use either cd player or my aux input. Found a 4pdt (4 pole dual throw) switch on ebay (not radioshack lol) but couldn't wait for it to show up, so I used 2 2pdt switches. I'll try to find the link later..... I basically wired the constant of the switches to the cut wires behind head unit to cd player left and right + and - to the wires running back to the RCU... One side of the switch to the aux input (bridged both - terms on aux headphone female input) and the other side of switch to the factory wires to the cd player (which were cut and connected to center of switch mentioned earlier.) I have to have a cd player in the HU playing for AUX to work.. but works awesome! no more s**tty fm transmitter.. Just posted this now otherwise I probably never will. Will clean up and post pics later...

Yeah but the question is, how does it sound?

The sound is pretty much cd quality, as long as the bitrate of the mp3 is around 200 or higher, I cant really tell a difference..

The only gripe is that some mp3's are different volumes, I really need to go through and "normalize" all the levels, but too late now. About 3 days after completing this mod, my cd player jammed and wouldn't recognize any cd's so the aux didn't work also. Kind of happy this happened b/c my spring clips on original stereo were fux0red..  LOL, JY cd player for $35 and all better now..

PICS:

First of all remove cd player and disconnect the wiring harness, cut wires from HU to RCU for cd player + and -

IMG_1039_zpsaec502a0.jpg

Make connections from RCU wires to center terminals(typically) of switch, and connect HU cd player signal wires to one side of switch.

IMG_1044_zpsf889db77.jpg

IMG_1043_zpsd4a625f7.jpg

Then I connected the AUX female jack wires to the other side of switch:

IMG_1040_zps945d6e8a.jpg

Then drilled 2 holes for the switches ( I couldn't wait for my 4pdt switch so used 2 2pdt switches) wish I would have waited but oh well...

IMG_1042_zpsf0ccdb4a.jpg

Temp. hooked everything up to test functionality, awesome!!! (you can see the switches)

IMG_1045_zpsfc580640.jpg

Finally all cleaned up (not the car but oh well..)

I just have to have a cd playing while using the aux input, and throw the 2 switches to aux position.

IMG_1048_zpsc64badd5.jpg

I have been searching for a panel mounted aux input, still deciding which one to get.. Will update in 2-3 years probably when I get around to it...

-bobby

That's something I had thought of doing, but instead I just replaced my radio with a nice double din bluetooth unit. Wanted bluetooth...

Congrats though, looks like a fun project!

Ug. I can't wait to find a mating (cap) connector to these Tyco connectors. Seeing all of these T-taps and butt connectors is killing me.

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2

Edited by thesavo

Holy cow, that is an ancient cell phone! Surprised to see it working-most phones are lucky to make it through the life of the contract.

For whatever reason this is way over my head tonight.. you might have to describe it at the next meet. Would love an AUX port in the Sable (tape player)

• Like 1

LOL yeah ive had that phone for about 4 yrs, cant believe it has lasted that long!     Cant justify a new phone with data plan, less $$ for moar Taurus mawdz.

Good for You!!!  Our daughter has a 1999 sable LS with tape player.  Will your wiring work with her set-up?  She wants me to run down and have auxiliary jack wired in for $250.  Her tape deck took a dump.  Keeps ejecting tapes so she can no longer use her tape adapter.  Any suggestions?

Yes, it should work for 1999-2007 . Unless gen 3s did it different. I don't think it was different.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk