Sign in to follow this  
-chart-

Pats Trick

Wondering it this will work.

Maybe someone has done this.

Take a working PAT key and fasten it close to the tumbler.

Then use any key that will turn the tumbler, and you can have any number of cheap keys.

I know it will NOT work on the LIN but that is a whole new story I learned by accident.

But then that system is WAY too overdone.

some if not many of have cars that no one would try to take by theft.

Any ideas?

-chart-

What you can do is remove the pats ring around the ignition switch along with the tumbler and original key. Use electrical tape to hold the ring and tumbler together, the key can now be installed into the tumber and turned to lock it in place. You can hide this anywhere the wires will reach under the dash. At any time, you can turn the key under the dash to remove and immoblize the car. The trick now is to add any Ford tumbler and matching key (chipped or not). Next is to re-key the doors and trunk to match that unchipped key. This keeps the one or only chipped key you have on the car (hidden) and you can duplicate as many keys as you want to operate. I have done this to all of my pats equipped vehicles with no issues.

Here is a video I shot at lunch. Warning, there are spots of shaky-cam.

I believe that PCM "tuning" shops can disable the SecureLock TM (Pats) feature. But I do not know for sure.

Edited by thesavo

What you are thinking of doing WILL work. A lot of the shops that install remote start do this trick. The will cut the key so the PATs chip is by itself then ziptie or tape the PATs chip near the ignition switch. I did this with my 2001 explorer. The dealer is who actually told me to do this because when I bought the explorer it only had one PATs key with it. I didn't want to spend the $$$$ to get another key and reprogram them. I bought 3 regular keys for $6 total and taped the PATS key up next to the ignition switch.

The will cut the key so the PATs chip is by itself then ziptie or tape the PATs chip near the ignition switch.

Is the chip concealed behind the column shroud or is it out in the open?

I took off the plastic cover on the steering column and mounted the PATs chip as close to the ignition switch as possible. You should test out the placement before you replace the covers to save possible headaches. Then when you put the cover back on, no body knows the key is in place.