Sign in to follow this  
breeves002

Car Hacking

That's why many people including me prefer mechanical linkages and non electric steering, etc. You the Driver are actually in control, not a computer interpreting your inputs. I love my non ABS no traction control Taurus.

I predict a new industry of cheap "As Seen on TV" devices to 'stop t3h hax0rz', like those ridiculous aluminum wallets.

• Like 1

Also, it's interesting how people are saying "lulz but it's not wireless". I guess they're not aware of how compact and discreet Bluetooth OBD-II adapters are...and I'm sure someone could make it work. Though the comments pointing out the mysterious death of the journalist are intriguing...

But no CAN bus in Holly! Take that!

The White Falcon.... We should get into business and be the first to patent and come up with some BS that will stop the hax0rs.

This is where I love my 95. No CAN, no throttle computers, no steering computers. Just a car. :wub:

The White Falcon.... We should get into business and be the first to patent and come up with some BS that will stop the hax0rs.

This is where I love my 95. No CAN, no throttle computers, no steering computers. Just a car. :wub:

My 2003 is the same way lol.

I propose we sell fancy black aluminum foil that you wrap around the airbox.

Well you can pretty effectively keep brakes from working on any car that has ABS. As long as you can connect to the ABS ECU through the OBD-II port. Sorry to say Bradley, but your car can have the brakes disabled if someone can get ahold of the ABS computer. All it has to do is cycle it so it sends purge signals only. That's how the ABS unlocks the wheels then re-locks them. Instead it only unlocks them.

Yeah any car with a CAN bus is at risk. Stupidly car manufacturers link together the MS and HS CAN so in some GM vehicles with WIFI built into the car, they can be attacked through that and it can access the HSCAN bus....

Someone managed to hack a car via a CD put into the radio with an infected file on it!!

Edited by breeves002

Well you can pretty effectively keep brakes from working on any car that has ABS. As long as you can connect to the ABS ECU through the OBD-II port. Sorry to say Bradley, but your car can have the brakes disabled if someone can get ahold of the ABS computer. All it has to do is cycle it so it sends purge signals only. That's how the ABS unlocks the wheels then re-locks them. Instead it only unlocks them.

Yeah any car with a CAN bus is at risk. Stupidly car manufacturers link together the MS and HS CAN so in some GM vehicles with WIFI built into the car, they can be attacked through that and it can access the HSCAN bus....

Someone managed to hack a car via a CD put into the radio with an infected file on it!!

Parking brake! lol

That F-250 would be better off. It's only got rear wheel ABS.

Yeah the parking brake helps but doesn't stop very fast, especially with drums. Plus if it was drive by wire like my car they can just floor the car :P

HAHA, still it pushes back on you so you wouldn't be able to use the front brakes either :P

Yeah the parking brake helps but doesn't stop very fast, especially with drums. Plus if it was drive by wire like my car they can just floor the car :P

HAHA, still it pushes back on you so you wouldn't be able to use the front brakes either :P

Yeah, but if someone (NSA, GM, random evil guy) was trying to kill me, I can get the car slowed down with the parking brake enough to either stop it, or bail out once it hits a slow enough speed. They can't control the throttle. :D

You, on the other hand, are toast. :lol:

Hahaha, I'll just unplug my accelerator pedal. That will put the PCM in a limp home mode.

No. They can gain access to PCM and still control the system. Gotta install a kill switch/override to the throttle motor. That way you can flip a switch and it overrides PCM and closes the throttle :)

Right they can but the thing is if you unplug the APP it automatically goes into a limp home mode, even if you tell the PCM full throttle it can't see that because the circuit is broken, a physical circuit.

They way they will make it work when its plugged in is tell it it is receiving different data from the PCM than is actual. When the circuit is broken, that won't work.

I don't trust it still. :ph34r:

Pwnt :lol:

I prefer the old fashion system. I also don't mind having legacy stuff like a distributor, controls that require direct input from a driver. Cars were built better back then :)

Pwnt :lol:

I prefer the old fashion system. I also don't mind having legacy stuff like a distributor, controls that require direct input from a driver. Cars were built better back then :)

Then you need my truck lol. OBD-II and a distributor!

I like computers. Yeah they have their downsides but I really like them. Motors are so much more efficient and more powerful than they used to be.

I don't like the precedent here. Yeah, Disabling brakes is a _very_ bad thing to be able to do but I see other motivations here such as encryption of the can bus which would make dealers and dealer shops gobs of money.

Hackers are bent on being destructive.

Of course with remote starts in every car now, wifi, and internet radio it's only a matter of time before some guy in Turkey can control your whole car at will.

hqdefault.jpg?feature=og

Then you need my truck lol. OBD-II and a distributor!

Ehhh, Nah, No OBD-II. I'll accept my Thunderbird's OBD-II, because it's a 1995, so it is exempt from Illinois emission testing. Meaning no scumbag state asshole has to touch my car.

I like computers. Yeah they have their downsides but I really like them. Motors are so much more efficient and more powerful than they used to be.

I hate computers. They never do what they are supposed to do. All these horrible lazy programmers these days.

Ehh, the power train engineers do a good job in my honest opinion. After they work out the kinks that is... They never have enough time to write the code and fix bugs. So thats why I'm getting my computer reflashed and update to help some symptoms.