Vash

Very Odd Electrical Issues (Contour)

ok a little background, I have a 97 contour v6 manual, that i have swapped an entire wiring harness into from a 98 model v6 manual. i swapped the entire dash, all wiring front to back of the car, and thats about it. I got all the wiring connected today and the car started for the first time since I bought it. But, it has some electrical issues still relating to creature comforts mostly.

1. no horn operation (have a cougar steering wheel in there, going to swap to contour and see if change)

2. no interior lights (dont have the dome light in but foot well lighting does not work.)

3. power mirrors do not work

4. power door locks, lock and unlock from passenger front door only (driver door lock does not work either, but other 3 do) they do also lock with the keyless entry remote but do not unlock. i have tried a new switch on the driver door with no change.

5. power windows, all windows operate but in different ways. the driver window works 100% correctly. the driver rear window works only from its switch, passenger rear window works only from its switch and it will not go back up, the odd one is passenger front it moves down while pushing the "up" button on the master switch for the driver rear window and it movers up with the "up" button for the passenger rear window on the master switch (i forget if it works from the switch on that door)

now all of this is with 97 harnesses in the doors and it did the same thing when they were swapped to the 98 harnesses. all of these things worked 100% correctly in the donor car before they were pulled. I am waiting on a password change for the Contour forums or I would post there, and the only diagrams i have are for a mondeo. hoping someone can help me out here and give me some ideas with this.. im not even sure where to check next, not sure if i got a plug in the wrong spot or wiring was damaged. any help would be great!

Multiple issues perhaps?

Initially it sounds like there is a common ground for some of the items which was left disconnected.

Another thought, does the contour use a GEM type box to control things such as the power windows?

Could be pin changes inside the body control / GEM module mismatched with the wrong harness.

what I mean here is a 97 GEM being wired with pinout X and a 00 GEM being wired with pinout Y then

(hypothetically) they didn't make the connectors different between the years of the contour so BOTH harnesses (97 or 00) will plug in to either GEM / fuse box even though each harness is setup pin wise for use with their respective year fuse box / GEM.

No idea if the contour even uses a GEM though - need to look at my FSM's.

Just some thoughts to ponder.

I know for a fact when dealing with tauruses that in 98 or 99 they changed the sensed resistance on the wiper circuit so while you CAN swap say a 99 GEM into a 97 taurus you CANNOT do so and have your wiper delay settings work without changing the MFS (multifunction switch) out for one from a 99. (I have this setup in my 97).

(just another example of what i'm talking about).

Unfortunately, auto zone only has the Chilton /Haynes wiring diagrams for those years.

Not the Helm /ford tis diagrams.

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2

'97s were true nightmares. It's rare to even find them on the road anymore. I have the Ford CD but my PC is dead. I'll see if I can get my old laptop to boot it.

I would believe difference in years, if all of the wiring didn't come from one car. Every harness inside this car came from the same 98 contour except the roof harness (because this car has sunroof) and the harness that is inside the trunk lid. Every other harness and wire is from the 98. I'm just not sure how all of this stuff could still be wrong when it all worked perfect in the other car. I didn't change any connectors or any pins around, I was very careful with the harnesses to prevent cracking, etc. I'm at a loss...

update: all fuses were fine except #36 under dash for the airbag...

Didn't miss any body grounds did you?

I don't think so but I will double check. Maybe pull them all and clean them up. It was me and a friend working on it and he isn't as familiar with wiring placement as I am on these. I will go look right now

No luck, all are in place and are fine...

Ok radio fuse popped again, replaced again and it works fine. I don't know when or what is causing it to pop. Also only passenger side speakers work.

keyless entry would not lock doors today, it did it only one time yesterday though

Perhaps broken wire insulation or broken conductor?

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2

I'm debating if I should take the dash back out to inspect wiring. It's a lot of work though... But I should be able to leave most everything in the dash and I never put the interior back together except for the dash. Never even connected the steering column to the rack.

Ok more info.

Power seat works

Right exterior mirror works

Trying to move the driver side power mirror to the right blows fuse #34 which also makes the radio not work. My owners manual says that the mirrors and the radio should be on different fuses, the radio should be on fuse 32. Left mirror does not move any other directions either. The radio is aftermarket but uses an adapter harness attached to factory wires.

Edited by Vash

I drove that car and everything on it worked, locks, windows, mirrors, radio. Starting to think harness may have been damaged during dash install, the driver side of the dash went in much harder than the passenger side did...

Any other ideas before I pull the dash to inspect? Have almost a week off and would like to get a lot dont to this car

You're probably on track with thinking it's behind the dash on the driver's side. Harness may have been cut. That support structure has some really sharp edges.