Sign in to follow this  
Shade

V8 Sho Alternator

In pondering why my car was acting up on the way home from walmart a couple weeks ago, I was correct in assuming it was something with the alternator.

I was right. Look at this:

1000407_453799811385203_1995332745_n.jpg

1006224_453799851385199_561019203_n.jpg

Note that the Cable stud has been blown free of the casing. how it happened is beyond me.

Anyone have another one of these, or know where ones sitting?

PM me, and we'll have a chat.

$had3 :ford::merc::Shady_J:

Your casing is nice. I'm not sure how that happened. This one still works if a little grindy at times. Doubt you want it.

I got my replacement at autozone and didn't have an issue with it. The lifetime thing is what made me purchase it from there.

IMG_20120929_210808.jpg

IMG_20120929_210834.jpg

I wonder how hard it is to swap the casing?

but hey, if that one works...

$hd3 :ford::merc::Shady_J:

I wonder how hard it is to swap the casing?

but hey, if that one works...

$hd3 :ford::merc::Shady_J:

The casting comes off ok but it the steel is rusty it could be a pain.

The diode pack and field coil stay as a unit.

-chart-

You can attempt to troll junkyards for 3.8 windstars. Forgot about that option. Swap out your pulley if so.

I forgot that Windstars use the same alt - good point!

Windstar will work, but only up to 5800 RPMs or so. Diode packs are different on SHO's and have a higher cycle rate potential.

Spin a Windstar alt diode up over 6000 and it just freezes up and the battery light comes on. Kind of a poor man's VAK (for the old timers).

Very common to get a low cost replacement alternator from any parts store and have it work fine, even with the correct pulley on it, and still throw a battery light at 5800 because it has Windstar diode package.

If this doesn't bother you, it hasn't hurt the cars of many owners who have just decided to leave it in. You can't spend enough time over 5800 rpms to drain the battery, but you do lose some operating voltage - i.e. 14.5 v comes from a happy charging system. 12 v comes out of a battery.

As soon as the RPMs deop, alt returns to normal.

I was installing a new serpentine belt on the '96 the other day. Had two brand new stock replacements that would not fit. I went to the parts store and purchased the next size up. It fits great. I'm thinking the previous owner used a larger pulley on the alternator. When I bought the car, the owner told me that they had bought it from their mechanic, who was an expert with the V8 SHOs quirks. That might explain some of the little fixes and scribbles I found during disassembly.

An expert in V8SHO quirks or an "expert"?

So maybe ill buy a 3.8 alternator and either use it, or swap the internals and pulley into the 3.8 casting...

ideas?

$had3 :ford::merc::Shady_J:

Perhaps an underdrive pulley would help with the alt not acting up at high RPM's from the wrong alt?