Vash

Harsh Take Offs 00 Duratec, Temp Related.

Alright, I have been fighting with this since I put the new engine in and am absolutely baffled. I keep forgetting the car does this with how little I drive it now.

The car: 00 Duratec Sable with 155k miles on stock trans, axles, and mounts. 55k miles on a 2004 Taurus Duratec. I used the 04 upper intake manifold but used the 00 lower manifold. Stock computer with stock tune.

The issue: This ONLY happens when ambient temps are 75-80 degrees and higher and after that car has reached FULL operating temp. It is very hard to describe what it does. At a red light, stop sign, or other situation where I come to a complete stop when I go to take off it violently jerks. I can make it so that it does not happen as bad so long as I allow the car to speed up slightly on its own (remove foot from brake but don't hit the gas) then proceed as normal. The harder I take off the more violent it is. Fuel trims have seemed fine, though I haven't been watching them very closely lately.

I honestly cannot tell if it is a transmission issue or an engine issue, I have had a couple of experienced techs look at it and they can't figure it out either. Shifts are fine, engine is strong, car runs and drives perfect when the ambient temp is under 75-80 degrees. Debating if I should put a tranny cooler in it and see if that helps with my issue, otherwise I'm out of ideas at this point...

What do you guys think? Any ideas or experience? This issue is very annoying.

Pfft... complaining about Duratec powah and throttle response. Come down and drive the 3L Contour someday. Taking off violently is the only way.

TPS, MAF, or IAT function versus the different intake setup and stock tune, maybe. :headscratch:

• Like 1

Well I don't really feel like it is a power issue or even throttle response. I think I will be headed out of town Saturday and can maybe try to take a video if I remember. If I knew what to do about my pcv system with the 04 engine I would maybe try swapping it back to the 2000 intake and sensors and see if its better.

Using the 2000 PCM with the 04 intake manifold? I feel like it has to be something to do with that but I could be wrong.

I think it may be tuning related. The revised '04/05 intake has a greater internal volume than the '00-03 intake design. MAF function may need some correction to account for the different flow characteristics.

That's kind of the way I was thinking. I am going to try to find a way to hook up the 04 pcv with the 2000 intake. I know right now on the 00 accordian tube I have one hole that is blocked off for the rear breather tube..

I'm having a similar issue with my beloved Taurus. It only happens when it's hot out and the car has been driven for an extended period of time. When I come to a full stop and press the accelerator, the car bucks/jerks/stutters. However, I wouldn't described it as being violent. And on top of that it doesn't do it all the time; it's intermittent. It might do it two times in a row from taking off from a stop, and then it can drive fine after that. And once the car is moving, it shifts fine. It only happens from a dead stop. Ford told me it was a bad coil pack, but I still have the problem even after changing that out. I changed the TPS too, and that didn't help either. For me, it feels like it might be torque converter related.

The one thing my 2000 Tec' didn't like was being hot. When it was hot out (100f +) it just did weird things.

Unfortunately I have not had a chance to do anything with this, the weather has cooled off and I'm trying to get seat time in the Cougar while i still can. Figured I would bump this up and see if I can get any more ideas or suggestions before I start tearing into swapping out the intake and trying to find all my parts back for it. I may end up changing the plugs when I do the intake just since it will be off, and the plugs are at almost 60k miles now.