TaurusKev

Gen One, Two, And Four Parking Brake Pedal Ooze Tar

So... I helped Mr. Brian with his 1987 MercSab, and we got to talking. I hate working on his car because of this:

IMG_1263.jpg

This is apparently a common issue.

It's also a disgusting issue.

Then, I decide, well, let's check the 1995 Taurus wagon.

IMG_1262.jpg

Looks brand new! Carpet is dirty from junkyard mud and shoe placement.

Now a Gen 4.5:

IMG_1265.jpg

The rubber pad that melts into disgusting ooze looks to be the same, but they must have revised it. Was this issue affected on Gen 2? Or just early Gen 2's?

gen 1 and 2 only had this issue. The rubber compound they used just dissolves.

The Gen 1s and 2s were doing this down here by the time they were 7 or 8 years old. My old 87 had nothing left. Get some GooGone ready.

You should check out SHOForum - lots of detail on there.

gen 1 and 2 only had this issue. The rubber compound they used just dissolves.

The Gen 1s and 2s were doing this down here by the time they were 7 or 8 years old. My old 87 had nothing left. Get some GooGone ready.

You should check out SHOForum - lots of detail on there.

I think it was Ford during those years. I've got that crap all over the floor in the 92 mustang.

That's what we figured. Weird that it's identical to the 96-07 pad in my other car.

It's weird that Ford never changed parking brakes during the course of twenty years....your Gen 1 lever looks the same as mine.

That's what I am thinking, because if my 95 is prone to this, Imma rip it out. I don't want that disgusting s**t on my carpet. But I think Ford revised it somewhere in Gen 2.

That's what I am thinking, because if my 95 is prone to this, Imma rip it out. I don't want that disgusting s**t on my carpet. But I think Ford revised it somewhere in Gen 2.

I think 95 is ok because my grandma's 95 se dosent have the crap.

Just keep an eye on it. No ooze happening after the first 18 years in service would imply to me that you don't actually need to replace it now. :)

Now I do have a replacement PB pedal for the Sable, so I want to swap it out and then boil or heatgun the red kick panel around it to peel off that tar s**t.

My 92 doesnt have this......Id have noticed it, I think.

Jeff

I haven't replaced any pedals yet. I have an NOS parking brake pedal without any pad attached, and the non-adjustable brake and accelerator from my 05 to use as long as they are directly compatible.

I've seen plenty of 94s and 5s at the yard with the issue. Barkentine's 95 on TCCA has the problem.

Well, my Chicago Built Wagon has no issue. Think the two plants had two suppliers of parking brake pedals with different rubbers?

I haven't replaced any pedals yet. I have an NOS parking brake pedal without any pad attached, and the non-adjustable brake and accelerator from my 05 to use as long as they are directly compatible.

I meant on your '05...

Also, we all know Chicago cars were built better than the Atlanta ones... ;)

• Like 1

I meant on your '05...

Also, we all know Chicago cars were built better than the Atlanta ones... ;)

I was going to ask how you changed your pedals and with what.

Oh, those are just alloy pedal covers that I picked up on a lark from Vatozone. :P

Now I do have a replacement PB pedal for the Sable, so I want to swap it out and then boil or heatgun the red kick panel around it to peel off that tar s**t.

Try 3M's citrus-based adhesive remover in the black aerosol can, if it's legal there (I've heard it can't be sold in some states). Takes a little time, but I haven't found anything better that's safe for most surfaces. (Haven't tried it on car interior plastics.)

I think it was Ford during those years. I've got that crap all over the floor in the 92 mustang.

I think this might have been a problem with '90s rubber in general - Hewlett-Packard 7673 controllers were notorious for the rubber feet melting (and getting all over everything), and I've had this happen with old computer equipment and other electronics as well.

Well, my Chicago Built Wagon has no issue. Think the two plants had two suppliers of parking brake pedals with different rubbers?

I don't remember either my '92 or my '93 (both Chicago-built) having this problem - if they did, it was too minor for me to notice/recall. I think the brake light switch actually wore a hole in the pad on the '92.

Not to miss a try with GooGone.

It cleans up arm rests and such well from greasy hand prints.

I used it to clean up the steering wheel of my riding mower. Somehow it got really sticky.

-chart-

OK cool. I found the 3M spray on Amazon, #6040. Might try that. It is only restricted within California (due to Prop 65).

• Like 1

You know you have the good stuff when it's illegal in some states :D

• Like 4

You know you have the good stuff when it's illegal in some states :D

All states :ph34r:

Does this happen over time, or just one day it turns to goo?

Mine didn't actually get bad like what you see in the photo until the summer's heat started warming up the car inside every day.