Sign in to follow this  
The White Falcon

Recall For All 2000-2003 Taurus/sables With The 3.0L Duratec.

Ford announced a voluntary recall on all 2000-2003 Ford Taurus and Mercury Sable models with the 3.0L Duratec today. This is a recall on the throttle cable. The brackets can become disconnected or damaged, leading to a sticking throttle condition. Ford began mailing letters last week, and dealers are instructed to repair the vehicle even without the letter. Repair will involve either reinforcing the bracket, or replacing the entire cable assembly with an improved one.

I knew this was coming eventually. Cheap fix for Ford at least.

They have that recall on Jeep's right now for the older Jeep Grand Cherokee's and Liberty's with the fuel tank mounted behind the rear axle. Apparently if they get hit from behind right the tank can erupt in a fireball (no big surprise). So the recall was they add the tow hitch to it.... Apparently thats supposed to help lol! What a ridiculous thing, Mopar.

I knew this was coming eventually. Cheap fix for Ford at least.

They have that recall on Jeep's right now for the older Jeep Grand Cherokee's and Liberty's with the fuel tank mounted behind the rear axle. Apparently if they get hit from behind right the tank can erupt in a fireball (no big surprise). So the recall was they add the tow hitch to it.... Apparently thats supposed to help lol! What a ridiculous thing, Mopar.

We talked about this at work. I'm sorry, any car being hit from behind runs the risk of a fire. Gas + a spark (from metal on metal, for example) = fire. Any car is susceptible to this.

• Like 1

However these Jeeps are more susceptible because of the gas tank location. I agree though... any car has the possibility.

Jeeps piss poor 80's design of putting the fuel tank aft of the axle on vehicles built just several years ago was a stupid design. Any one can tell if a short enough car rear ends a jeep it will pop the fuel tank wide open.

I thought a while back, this would happen to the cruise cable attached to the throttle body. a Zip tie would fix that. time for more zip tieing. :)

$had3 :ford::merc::Shady_J:

"reinforce the throttle bracket". AKA zip tie! LOL.

• Like 1

Let's see, Pinto is prone to fire explosions from collisions, the Crown Victoria, the Chevrolet trucks with the fuel tanks by the bed, pretty much if it has a gas tank, it's prone :P

So electric cars aren't? Hahahaha. If they get wet they catch on fire.

So electric cars aren't? Hahahaha. If they get wet they catch on fire.

Electric cars should be called "coal powered" cars.

Electric due to go up in price.

That is the gov plan.

-chart-

• Like 1

Yeah, OK. Sorry that you're both badly misinformed.

Just tried to schedule this service, (call was dropped, thanks so much Verizon). Service guy was already giving me the runaround "Do you have the letter?" "I don't need a letter, at least according to Ford..." "Is there an actual recall on this car?"...that doesn't bode well. I may be taking it to the local dealer after all...at least I can get decent customer service there...I don't even know why I considered Jim Click Ford. They're terrible...

Best I can gather Ford had ~100 complaints out of 300,000 cars of the throttle not returning completly to idle due to some maintenance that damaged something.

Not worth my effore.

Just my take.

-chart-

My local Ford dealer said they didn't have any information on this recall and that if there really was one, I'd get a notice.

I think I'll have my local mechanic check it out when it goes infor an oil change next month.