mwzephyr

Stick Shift/ Clutch Or Automatic? Poll To Know

I have a chance to get another car. All the features I like are on the manual transmission model, not on the automatic transmission version. But I drive a lot in stop and go traffic, often in the city and do long trips sometimes on the expressway. I haven't driven stick since high school. Not sure I want to start again now if it is the pain in the arse I think it was... The automatic is still a good car but is missing the high performance features I would like to have on a once in a lifetime purchase. Still I once thought I'd like to get a used Harley motorcycle, until I discovered I'd get tired after about an hour. That dream died a horrible but realistic death. Can't be age... I ain't a road warrior...LOL. I just expect I will get the automatic and pretend I have the high performance suspension and forged wheels and the kick-ass features. No-body will know except me... :icon_neutral: But honestly I am happy driving occasionally fast with my six cylinder Taurus ~so go figure? This is an official poll for me, so please weigh in ... You too chart, I highly respect your opinion. Thanks ya'll :notworthy: ~Zep

Edited by mwzephyr

What make/model are we talking about here?

Stick hands down. It's a great design. I miss driving it. You can drive it to have better economy, or better performance. Also, they tend to last longer, or cheap/easy to fix compared to other fantastic transmissions such as the AXOD or the Pile of s**t Ford 6 Dual Clutch automatic crapmission

I'm looking to buy a truck. And while I prefer the fun and reliability of manuals, I can't drive them. My left knee is completely surgically repaired and it's just something I can't do. So my vote goes to automatic here!

Again, it depends on the car. Some cars do well with a stick. One of my turn-offs with the MTX SHO is the lack of a handbrake. But the ATX models will blow up. So it's NOSHO for me.. :icon_lol:

I have a chance to get another car. All the features I like are on the manual transmission model, not on the automatic transmission version. But I drive a lot in stop and go traffic, often in the city and do long trips sometimes on the expressway. I haven't driven stick since high school. Not sure I want to start again now if it is the pain in the arse I think it was... The automatic is still a good car but is missing the high performance features I would like to have on a once in a lifetime purchase. Still I once thought I'd like to get a used Harley motorcycle, until I discovered I'd get tired after about an hour. That dream died a horrible but realistic death. Can't be age... I ain't a road warrior...LOL. I just expect I will get the automatic and pretend I have the high performance suspension and forged wheels and the kick-ass features. No-body will know except me... :icon_neutral: But honestly I am happy driving occasionally fast with my six cylinder Taurus ~so go figure? This is an official poll for me, so please weigh in ... You too chart, I highly respect your opinion. Thanks ya'll :notworthy: ~Zep

Everyone has their own feel and like. My last MT was '64 Fairlane 260 V-8. Bought new, 3 on the tree.

Last time I drove a MT was a Silverado Half ton pickup, 350 with 5 speed. I have not forgotton how to do it. That back in the early 90's, borrowed. It ran really nice.

But, automatics were horrible back in the day, Ford used 2 speed "slush box" at first, slow. SLOW. However by the time I got to C-6 in a 429 4V, they were OK. Last forever, but still 3 speed is at least one short. Now, 7 Taurus/Sables and 5 Lin Cont, no tran issues, and I like the OD and lockup TQ.

I find auto works fine for me.

Next week I may take my son's Ranger 4 banger for a spin to see if I can still do it. Pics later. Wheeeee!

-chart-

Manual. Like all my vehicles.

/thread

Manuals are nice for just about everything except stop and go. If you do alot of that you will burn the clutch right up no matter how good the transmission is.

I have yet to own a manual car, and rarley drive them, I did get the hang of driving stick in nothing else but a Ford Ranger, but that was almost 2 years ago, so I don't have much manual experience. All of my close friends at 1 point or another have owned manuals and had nothing but problems, clutchs with nothing left, and other noisy issues. I have had the same Taurus for almost 5 years with a "crappy" transmission and it has yet to have an issue. I think the key with a manual is to get it new so you can baby it and make it last. Take the F150 my buddy owned for a while, here is a half ton pickup with the Mazda M5OD transmssion, which is basically designed to be maxed out in the much smaller and ligher 1st gen Explorer and similar Ranger. That truck with that manual trans is so weak, you couldn't tow or haul more than a ton without putting major strain on the trans. Where as its cousin auto the E4OD is for the most part really good. It really does depend on the vehicle.

moving this to general discussion, as it does not directly relate to Taurus or Sables....

I say auto.

So it's NOSHO for me.. :icon_lol:

:ph34r:

• Like 1

If the Taurus is staying as well as this other car I would say go for a manual. I enjoy driving manual, even in stop and go its not terrible. Though the clutch makes a huge difference here, my Cougar has a very light clutch pedal, my friends Mustang is very heavy and I would not want to drive that car in traffic.

The car I drove before the Sable (and before the Kia) was a manual. Loved it, was fun, and surprisingly quick 1.8T VW Passat. As someone said earlier manuals are great for everything but stop and go traffic.... thats when you sit there wishing you had an automatic!

I will buy another car that is a manual only if its my second car. I deliver pizza and having a manual would be too much to do all at once. Even if I don't deliver pizza, I always want one car to be an auto. If a dual clutch transmission is made right those are cool too... super fast shifting.

Gotta love the flappy paddles!

As long as its a dual clutch. Otherwise it takes too damn long to shift.

Three guesses where my vote goes, and the first two don't count. Every vehicle in my early childhood was a manual transmission, from the three-on-the-tree Chevrolet, to the four-on-the-floor International 2-ton to the Massey-Harris tractor. Clutches only burn out from misuse or abuse.

The four-speed with two-speed axle (all not synchronized) right hand drive army truck I drove in my teens working for a local farmer did not put me off manual transmissions (although double-clutching all the way up through eight shifts got to be boring after a couple of days.) Even driving our five speed Aerostar on Seattle's hills was not a pain (but then the Aerostar had a hand brake).

Automatics are not bad, except they seem to shift at the wrong times. For example, when going around a curve, accelerating draws the vehicle down; that same throttle pressure also increases the vacuum and the transmission down shifts, right in the middle of the curve, unloading the chassis and upsetting the line you are driving. Newer automatics have a lockout feature which should give the best of both worlds.

Of all the automatics I have driven, the six speed in the Ford Five Hundred felt the most in tune. It seemed to shift exactly as I would have if it had been a manual. Upshifts at low RPM under light throttle and redline at full throttle. With a "manual shift lockout" this could be the transmission of choice.

In retrospect, maybe I am a control freak (an old one at that), but I prefer having full control of when the transmission shifts.

It depends on the vehicle. The vehicle has to have a certain feel to be a manual. That said I have 2 manuals and 1 automatic.

I am looking at the Camaro 2ss 2013 V-8 For the performance package the LS1 with the forged wheels, the tuned exhaust, special sway bars, tuned suspension and the sweet features you need to go manual. :icon_rolleyes: But again, stop and go and even the rush hour expressway traffic I think I would feel like a Harvard Coxswain without a rowing crew . (eight men/ eight cylinders... doing it all by myself and that's no fun, that's work... :read: )800px-Harvard_Rowing_Crew_at_Henley_2004_-2.JPG6.2L V-8 VVT ( L99 ) is the automatic, the manual is the (LS3) Differences w/ LS3 EngineL99 produces 400hp/395lb-ft tq compared to LS3's 422hp/408lb-ft tq. L99 camshaft is different -- having a little less duration and a little less lift, both of which give the engine a smoother idle. L99 has a cam phaser and, to get the additional piston-to-valve clearance required when cam phasing changes, the pistons are different parts having valve reliefs machined into their tops. The reliefs lower the compression ratio to 10.4:1. L99 PCV system is different having its oil separators in the valve covers rather than down in the valley like the LS3. LS3/L99Introduced on the 2008 Corvette, the LS3 brought LS base performance to an unprecedented level: 430 horsepower from 6.2L (376 cu in) - making it the most powerful base Corvette engine in history. The LS3 block not only has larger bores than the LS2, but a strengthened casting to support more powerful 6.2L engines, including the LS9 supercharged engine of the Corvette ZR1. The LS3 is offered in the Pontiac G8 GXP and is also the standard V-8 engine in the new, 2010 Camaro SS. The L99 version is equipped with GM's fuel-saving Active Fuel Management cylinder deactivation system and is standard on 2010 Camaro SS models equipped with an automatic transmission. Off the net, best info I could find... This would become my everyday driver with the Taurus kept for grocery runs etc. I drive my cars I don't store and show them so this is not going to gather dust... I fully intend to drive it till one of us dies and then take it to the shop and get it resurrected again LOL.Still on the fence...~Zep

Edited by mwzephyr

The White Falcon!~Naughty are we..? Heh, heh... I have been mostly a Ford and Lincoln man most of my life but I can't go Shelby Mustang so this will have to do...I won't tell MOM! ( maybe :lurk: ) ~Zep

Edited by mwzephyr

Looking up Mustangs, I just realized the pink one in town is a limited edition model...

Why not wait a bit to see the 2015 Mustang? It's going to have IRS and spank the Camaro. Granted, they're not expected to announce it until next April, but still...

I have a time window... The Mustang was my first choice. Did test drives. Straight line is FANTASTIC! But besides the colors suck except for the dark red ... honestly I did not see the same quality in the "packages I could afford". I need a car that handles well and the 2013 mustang model is cagey at higher speeds; it is one loose car. In racing that can be good. For my use loose is a baaaaad thing. When I do get to travel the highways they are usually rural in snow or bad conditions. I can't white knuckle drive like I used to in my younger days, so I need a car that stays planted firmly. I don't like the idea of drifting........ off the road..... I.E. general family safety.The Camaro seems to have a better balance on the curves, stays glued to the curves like my Cadillac STS used to do years ago. the Mustang is one pony that dips and swoops ~ nose dives into curves and a lot of body roll. The Camaro has much less body sway and so this is the thinking that led me to the Chevy... Also the ride looks too cool ~almost old school, but with finesse. ~Zep

Edited by mwzephyr

Mmmm. I love the SS. I want one so badly. :wub: :wub:

The problem is its not anything new, its just a Pontiac G8, or Holden whatever with new badges. Same boring GM. How can you market a car in 2013 that looks like a car from 2008. Why, because GM owners are all stuck in a rut and refuse to look at newer, brighter, and better ideas.

SS was once a symbol of pride and power, GM ruined that. SS Cobalts, SS Malibu Maxx, SS Silverado, all a shame to the SS trim. The last real SS car from GM was the mid 90's Impalas. GM has a habit of ruining classic ideas/designs.

• Like 1