1987 Taurus Gl Wagon - Same Car Differn't Owner.

More than likely original-ish. Would like to go with something more modern. That is something I have to decide after pricing out the job.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

GEN 1 FOREVER!!! Accords and Camry, kiss my.... Sorry. Bi-polar today.

First pic!   I still don't feel right saying it's mine and catch myself saying it's Bull Geek's wagon . Here's some updates on the girl. Not much done. BG supplied me with nearly all new stuff on

Dem *****.

Slowly getting the car prepped for paint by replacing and painting some the removable stuff. Doing some bodywork along the way.

Blacked out license plate bulb cover.

47update_zpsb8300f69.jpg

Manual fuel door. Black rub strip on doors glued solidly to the body.

47update1_zpsdaa13701.jpg

Hood and grill will get a proper respray, bumpers should be fine with a clearcoat only.

47update2_zpsc62e90df.jpg

Blacked out the B and C pillars like the sedans. 

47update3_zps16007c48.jpg

Lookin' good man! When you get done, you can get started on my '95! :D

I'd personally be inclined to swap buckets-and-console into the 5spd wagon if it were mine. Maybe a gen II console from a m/t SHO?

• Like 1

:o I can't get rid of these seats. No bucket seat that I've found is more comfortable than this split bench.

Yes indeed. G1 seats the best ever. I had '87 and '88.

-chart-

• Like 1

You know, I always wondered if it would be possible to keep the bench seat with a stick shift.

• Like 1

The shift knob is out of a Mini Cooper. The MT5 has the same shift pattern as the SHO, IIRC. The bench doesn't get in the way while driving. 

I want bench seating in my Taurus... :(

• Like 1

Better not toss those seats...I combed through so many Pull A Parts looking for mint seats, and I scored.  Those came out of a car that had 90K miles on it, and interior smelled like new.  I regret not grabbing the carpet, but it had the brake pedal ooze.

Nice to see my former vehicle looking sharp for its age.  And getting the royal treatment.

But if you were to toss the seats.... I have a wagon they'd look perfect in!!! ;)

Well, I agree the gen 1 seats were awesome. After doing so, I regretted getting rid of my 1986 LX seat that I had in my '93 when I swapped it for 1996 GL buckets. I liked the buckets, don't get me wrong, but that old (and it smelled old) LX seat was far more comfortable.

Yep... the early Taurus bench seats were towards the top in terms of comfort (especially when covered in velour).

Yep... the early Taurus bench seats were towards the top in terms of comfort (especially when covered in velour).

Ha! You'd love to see my '87 interior in person... :P

• Like 1

I've never sat in a Gen 1 bench seat, but I loved the bench seats in my 92 and 94, and even the one in my 97 was more comfortable than anything else I have owned that wasn't a Gen 2.

Yes indeed. G1 seats the best ever. I had '87 and '88.

-chart-

As a witness, I can agree. These have been good on the old abused back.

The LS/LX series cloth/velour seats were TOP notch.

I wish my 2000 had seats like the Gen 1.

Only problem with the Gen1 seats was that the foam started to sink into the spring-wire grid. There was a plastic coating of some sort on the bottom of the foam where it sat on the grid, but it didn't/doesn't stand up to extended ownership. Disassembling my original driver's seat tipped me off to the problem, and I not only used several thicknesses of plastic between the foam and grid on my new power seat but when I rebuilt the manual seat I did the same for it. The difference is amazing. These seats are great. They just needed some more reinforcement....but, then again I doubt anyone at Ford expected these cars to be still driven after 25 years.

• Like 1

I still see a few gen1s out and about. I was on a back road avoiding a detour and seen a gen1 Sable wagon in a driveway, it still looked in good shape and everything was original. I see a gen1 Taurus sedan almost everyday a few miles away from me. I feel like a vulture waiting on a 'for sale' sign to pop up on it.

• Like 1

I still see a few gen1s out and about. I was on a back road avoiding a detour and seen a gen1 Sable wagon in a driveway, it still looked in good shape and everything was original. I see a gen1 Taurus sedan almost everyday a few miles away from me. I feel like a vulture waiting on a 'for sale' sign to pop up on it.

Mmm, Gen 1 Sable. Is it red? Tell me it's red. :P