double--negative

Gen4.5 Vulcan Drivetrain Into A Gen1 Taurus

I was wondering if anyone has ever installed a gen4.5 Vulcan drivetrain into a gen1 Taurus before? Gen1 replacement stuff is so hard to find. Sorry for the far off question. I searched everywhere. I really a noob at this.

:)

• Like 1

Dunno, but I'm thinking we will find out sooner or later! ;)

...gee, I wonder what Gen 1 Taurus you'd be talking about... :icon_lol:

I don't recall seeing anything of the kind. I think you might be the pioneer here.

Edited by The White Falcon

I think I want to do this with my '87 Sable someday. Impress us. ;)

...gee, I wonder what Gen 1 Taurus you'd be talking about... :icon_lol:

I don't recall seeing anything of the kind. I think you might be the pioneer here.

I had to google to make sure I had a gen1 and yep, a 1987 is a gen1! Maybe a few wires plug in different and thats all. According to the owner manual, I dont have power windows or power locks. Should be easy, right?

A few wires, just in case.

awire_zpsda77074a.jpg

Odds and ends.

adash_zpsf4141c67.jpg

A gas tank. I could put this behind the seat.

atank_zps5f6d0639.jpg

Motor and transmission to be picked up tomorrow. Maybe take a year to get it all done with my only tool, pliers.

This will be amazing to watch. Be sure to take lots of pictures, and document everything. Gen 1 owners might be resorting to this eventually.

• Like 1

Here's the fine tuned- state of the art, airpump. Heavy stuff. I was able to remove it from the donor car with all the fluids still in it. See the coolant bottle. A little coolant leaked out from the heater hoses.

amotor_zpsd0ebfcd6.jpg

amotor2_zpsff3932cc.jpg

• Like 1

You are my hero Jeff. :D

My biggest worry is fitting an '05 instrument cluster in a '87. Will have to extended the cluster surround about 2" on each side to keep the original dash. From all my comparisons, the gen1 and gen4.5 floor pans are not that much different. And most of the changes will revolve around the floor pan designs.

A Vulcan hauled that drive train on a trailer 35 miles to it's destination. Good enough for me.

My biggest worry is fitting an '05 instrument cluster in a '87. Will have to extended the cluster surround about 2" on each side to keep the original dash. From all my comparisons, the gen1 and gen4.5 floor pans are not that much different. And most of the changes will revolve around the floor pan designs.

Only difference should be that the G4 floor pan is (8?) inches longer.

I feel like you'll have no problems getting it to run, and fitting the drivetrain in, but getting the accessories working may be a bit tougher. Just gotta do a bit of wiring (time to spend a few late nights over the wiring diagram books!) and you're good as gold!

Very nice. I've been wondering this myself, but I was thinking gen 3 duratec. I don't think there would be anything cooler than a gen 1 with a drivetrain from a later gen, especially a gen 4.5. I wish you all the luck in the world that you can make this work. Cuz if this turns out to be a success for you then I just might very well do something like this myself for the '86. :)

Listen, make sure you have EVERYthing related to PATS hooked up before you even decide to put the battery in.

Make sure you move over all the emissions crap [vapor canister, etc.]

I do not know what fuel system will be needed, but you may have to add the pump and lines from the Gen 4.5 too. The tanks will not swap.

Good luck!

This is my plans for the dash. The ICP might not be used at all, I could always use the aftermarket radio wiring kit and run the wires back to the factory plug, like 3rd and 4th gen aftermarket kits. The gen 4 headlight switch will be used to.

1dash_zpsa4507e1e.jpg

• Like 1

Well this is ambitious especially because gen 4.5 uses the SJB with the CAN bus. I guess if you are swapping everything over including cluster and some others then it should work. Gen 4 would be easier to make work with the older electronics. Gen 4.5 probably can't be used with most of the older electronics without large problems.

I would be thinking about that CAN bus though. That's where you will run into the largest issues. Be happy you're not trying to take something even newer because everything in modern cars is hooked up through a CAN bus. No getting that to work with old electronics!

Good drawing by the way! Find a way to put the info center buttons on the steering wheel? Haha, a lot more work though.

Edited by breeves002

Well this is ambitious especially because gen 4.5 uses the SJB with the CAN bus. I guess if you are swapping everything over including cluster and some others then it should work. Gen 4 would be easier to make work with the older electronics. Gen 4.5 probably can't be used with most of the older electronics without large problems.

I would be thinking about that CAN bus though. That's where you will run into the largest issues. Be happy you're not trying to take something even newer because everything in modern cars is hooked up through a CAN bus. No getting that to work with old electronics!

Good drawing by the way! Find a way to put the info center buttons on the steering wheel? Haha, a lot more work though.

He's swapping OBD1 for OBD2. Everything must be changed as the two systems are incompatible. So CAN bus shouldn't be much of an issue.

He's swapping OBD1 for OBD2. Everything must be changed as the two systems are incompatible. So CAN bus shouldn't be much of an issue.

Well of course it will have to be switched to OBD-II. The problem ISN'T in the powertrain. The issue is with the accessories and interior electronics. If he is putting the gen 4.5 motor and trans in he has no choice but to switch to OBD-II.

So you can't get a gen 1 cluster to work with a gen 4.5 because of stuff being sent over CAN bus. Which obviously he isn't trying to do in this case. I'm saying that this is a big job to get done right. You can get the motor running and car driving, thats not the hard part. The hard part is getting everything on the inside working. He has to swap over an SJB from a gen 4.5 (no getting around that) and do A LOT of wiring.

• Like 1

If everything goes right, the only wires spliced will be markerlights, hatch plate lights, tail lights and interior lighting. The doors are manual windows and locks, it's going to stay that way. The remote key fob will turn on the exterior lights but nothing else is planned. Keeping it simple for now.

BTW no airbags, no ABS. All that will be disabled from the '05 wiring.

Well then you should be fine! If it has no power anything you're good! I'm worried about getting the climate control to work. Haven't put much thought into it, but have you?

Don't you have to install an SJB though?

Edited by breeves002

Manual climate control is basically self-contained.