hmrambling

Is There A High Milage Club Yet?

I think the version in the Lin is a bit different in shift and such.

I have had 7 Taurus/Sables and 5 Cont and only had one TQ that I overheated pulling in OD and I replaced only that.

One Cont recalled and replaced the tranny in low miles.

All my pervious Taurus/Sables went to my daughters after I put many miles on them, and them much more. I bought them used and put lots of miles on them first.

None ever had tranny issues.

I think that, if you change fluid and filter on their schedule, they will last longer.

But that is just my experience.

I do know that in the early 90's they had failures due to mis-aligned oil jet lines that missed hitting the gearset.

-chart-

Yea the Lincoln had a similar trans to that of the 96-99 V8 SHO if I remember correctly. They still follow the same issue pattern though. You are in the minority for having no issues, but that's because you picked them up and did the proper maintenance and treated them right probably :) Don't forget Ford's brilliant idea of the aluminum forward clutch piston in the AXOD & AXOD-E. Yea, that'll hold up well....all in the name of saving weight maybe?

Yea the Lincoln had a similar trans to that of the 96-99 V8 SHO if I remember correctly. They still follow the same issue pattern though. You are in the minority for having no issues, but that's because you picked them up and did the proper maintenance and treated them right probably :) Don't forget Ford's brilliant idea of the aluminum forward clutch piston in the AXOD & AXOD-E. Yea, that'll hold up well....all in the name of saving weight maybe?

Having had 2 Intech ('02) and have now 2 DOHC '01 and'03:

One would not think they have the same trans from driving them.

The Lin upshift and forced downshift are quite different.

The Lin is "seamless" up and much quicker down shifting.

I do know, the Intech uses fuel shutoff on coasting over 45mph while the Tec does not. Thiscauses engine braking down to 45mph when you can feel the fuel cut back in.

Having recorded fuel trims, I was really wondering why there would be trims of zero for several seconds then back to normal.

Then a thought: if the fuel is cut off, the O2 would be excess and richen up the mix. Not very logical.

So they seem to just block the signal while coasting.

Anyway, the engine management feels different and the trans management seems different.

Nothing is simple.

-chart-

Having had 2 Intech ('02) and have now 2 DOHC '01 and'03:

One would not think they have the same trans from driving them.

The Lin upshift and forced downshift are quite different.

The Lin is "seamless" up and much quicker down shifting.

I do know, the Intech uses fuel shutoff on coasting over 45mph while the Tec does not. Thiscauses engine braking down to 45mph when you can feel the fuel cut back in.

Having recorded fuel trims, I was really wondering why there would be trims of zero for several seconds then back to normal.

Then a thought: if the fuel is cut off, the O2 would be excess and richen up the mix. Not very logical.

So they seem to just block the signal while coasting.

Anyway, the engine management feels different and the trans management seems different.

Nothing is simple.

-chart-

It still pulls a tiny amount of fuel when going downhill until you reach the speed where engine speed is above the stall speed, and it can technically use zero fuel for short bursts, just enough to keep the engine running. Back in the carburator days you always had the idle amount of fuel, no matter what.

If you've ever run out of fuel when headed downhill (yes, I have -- failed fuel pump) the engine can continue to run until you approach stall speed, when the computer tries to add fuel everything goes dead.

Also, the engine would be running lean with too much O2, not rich.

It still pulls a tiny amount of fuel when going downhill until you reach the speed where engine speed is above the stall speed, and it can technically use zero fuel for short bursts, just enough to keep the engine running. Back in the carburator days you always had the idle amount of fuel, no matter what.

If you've ever run out of fuel when headed downhill (yes, I have -- failed fuel pump) the engine can continue to run until you approach stall speed, when the computer tries to add fuel everything goes dead.

Not to thought jack, but the MTX programs (My SHO and ZX2) will turn the fuel off completely when TPS = 0% and VSS > approx 20mph and RPM > 1500-2000, as long as the clutch anticipate switch is closed.

ATX can't do that because of stall speed, as mentioned. Computer can keep it in gear as long as pressure is available from the pump.

Actually it is not easy to express.

The O2 toggles back and forth from O2-no O2 quickly when in closed loop.

The sensor only goes from one state to the other, but on average is right on the edge.

Shutting off the injectors messes up everything unless it is frozen in place during the fuel off coast.

Shutting off and turning back on is not all that simple.

In the Lin case, it only does it down to 45 so the engine still is running above idle rpm.

At 45 you can feel the release of engine braking and the rpm jumps back up a bit.

Wonder what happens if you put it in "N" while coasting with injectors off?

In the 60-70 mph range, it will not gain speed going down hill unless it is really steep.

My Sables will gain quite a bit and require some brakes.

-chart-

220,555 on the Blue Bull now. Still original engine & tranny.

:D

• Like 1

114,652 I guess it doesn't count sine I'm on the second engine and trans......

My sable is at 155k now. Miles haven't been going up so fast now that I have the cougar, which is now at 107k miles. And since I food the Outback with 240k on it the sable may be my highest mileage car right now (i cant remember if the contour has 151k or 157k...)

Edited by Vash

132,000 miles. I bought it with 54,000. 2 independent mechanics at the time swore that it had a new transaxle in it by the looks of it.

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2

101,000 on my 1997 GL w/3.0 Vulcan!!! biggrin.gif

Less than three years later, and I've just hit 160,000 last week!!! That's over 20,000 miles a year... more than I thought I drove... :icon_frown:

2966b562e5bb11e2af0122000a1fbc9e_7.jpg

Your washer fluid is low! ;)

I'm just shy of 132k...not that I consider that high mileage. It's actually lower than any car my parents have, though I'm about to pass the F-250.

Erm, actually that turns on when my high-beams are on... it's a long story... mostly cause I put a Gen 4 Sable cluster in my Gen 3.

My 2000 Mercury Sable Ls with the Duratec is running very well with original motor as tranny at 164k. Light rust around wheel wells, paint chipping off trunk lid, and one piece of leather is missing off interior rear door. Very happy with the build quality of this vehicle.

MilesHi_zpsc65b3e6d.jpg

Some people stay on the road.

For sale on the internet.

I am however a low miler.

-chart-

$4,000 with 310k? Lol, good luck with that!

Hey, it is only 8 years old, they have to be highway miles. I used to drive ~40K a year and did it on all used cars.

But in my book that car would be OK at $2K.

-chart-

Well, if it's had the 300,000-mile transmission replacement done, that's a $2000 value right there...

Just reached 120,000 on the gen3 slo Vulcan with the axode/ax4s. Trans could use a rebuild but still works ok so I'll keep rolling on.

Edited by mh488

2 new Sables added to the pen.

97 @154k miles

99 @218k miles

I bought the white taurus with 146xxx miles.  Almost the exact same mileage as what I started out with the Blue Bull.

Having just reached 90k miles, the '05 is officially the highest mileage Bull that I've ever had. My '96 GL was traded in with 89,875 miles, my sister's former '02 SE went away with 66,665 miles, and the '87 Sable has about 60,300 miles currently.

This post gives me new hope that my bull will last me a few more years untill I can maybe get a newer ride. Currently over 126k miles and counting.