Sign in to follow this  
Bull Geek

Cable Internet Frustrations

I carry Time Warner Cable at my current residence. Single family home on a main road. Neighbors on either side of me carry the same internet service through time warner.

In the past month, I continue to have frustrations with the operation of it.

It's 7:03PM. I click on YouTube. Open a video and start watching. Within a minute, the buffering is starting. the gray bar won't advance, the send/receive lights are dark, but all other lights on the modem are solid.

Or if I'm opening a new webpage, it may time out or not display. Same problem. Send/receive lights are dark, but all other lights on the modem are solid.

I've had time warner replace the modem...same issue exists. Nothing in the logs according to time warner shows the modem dropping offline.

I don't understand it.

>I've even run the modem straight into the computer. Same problem exists.

>>>So key here is that when a page tries to load, it fails to load and gives me page cannot be displayed. Send/Receive lights are dark...but all other lights are illuminating like they should. After a few minutes it starts working again.

Time Warner claims there is no signal issue, but clearly there is something going on. Any ideas what I can tell them?

Nick, what brand is your modem? RCA? Motorola? Arris?

If you can, try to go to http://192.168.100.1

Look for Signal, and screen shot if you want, I can see if I see any issues. You should see something similar:

cmdiag_zps8d6a1397.png

I am not sure about TWC's DOCSIS testing systems, but they should be able to get a reading on Upstream SNR, see if that's in spec, Downstream SNR should show on your screen, you generally want above 34/35 dBmV

Downstream signal should be between +8 to -8 dBmV, and upstream should not be higher than 52 dBmV.

Most likely your Modem is giving what is known as a T3 Timeout (They should be able to see on their end), which causes a delay. This could be due to bad wiring inside, bad wiring outside, or a network plant issue. Or bad modem.

Also if you have Motorola or Ubee, some of them have a Diagnostic or Event Log page, Pastebin that and provide link, I can see if anything looks funny. Don't remember if Scientific Atlanta/Cisco provided those...

Had the same issues Nick, went through 3 different modems. No luck.

What I did was call and tell them DirectTV or Dish is going to give you a better offer and complained to them about my internet, TV, etc. They lowered the bill and upgraded my download mbps. They event sent us a free router.

We called yesterday, and there is a servie guy coming today to check all of our lines.

@ Kevin, I've never heard of Arris and i think that is the router they are sending us, Would that be any better than my Linksys e4200?

We also have time warner, we had tons of issues with slow and unresponsive internet and crummy tv clarity. My mom being the person she is didn't let up and continued to complain until the proper tech came to our house and found out the fiber line from our house to the box at the edge of our yard was trash. They replaced the entire line from our house to the box, works excellent now. They also discovered the fiber line for the entire neighborhood was getting bad, so end of last summer they redid the entire fiber optic cables in our neighborhood. Her complaints have also gotten $10 to $15 dollar discounts on the bill from time to time.

I carry Time Warner Cable at my current residence. Single family home on a main road. Neighbors on either side of me carry the same internet service through time warner.

In the past month, I continue to have frustrations with the operation of it.

It's 7:03PM. I click on YouTube. Open a video and start watching. Within a minute, the buffering is starting. the gray bar won't advance, the send/receive lights are dark, but all other lights on the modem are solid.

Or if I'm opening a new webpage, it may time out or not display. Same problem. Send/receive lights are dark, but all other lights on the modem are solid.

I've had time warner replace the modem...same issue exists. Nothing in the logs according to time warner shows the modem dropping offline.

I don't understand it.

>I've even run the modem straight into the computer. Same problem exists.

>>>So key here is that when a page tries to load, it fails to load and gives me page cannot be displayed. Send/Receive lights are dark...but all other lights are illuminating like they should. After a few minutes it starts working again.

Time Warner claims there is no signal issue, but clearly there is something going on. Any ideas what I can tell them?

May be different but my experience.

I had what might be called freeze of internet. Only for a preriod of 5 minutes or so.

Than OK. Real pain doing online banking paying bills and such as it looses it place.

I have 3 computers son my router.

By accident I found that if my main computer is not on, no issues.

Decided to replace AVG security with Norton 360.

No more problems.

My daughter on next street, same issue, same security.

-chart-

Time Warner has gone to crap recently. They have been loosing customers so quickly lately. I know your pains because my cousins had Time Werner (not anymore!) and I got all their complaints. The TV service sucks too.

I have Charter and pay for 30mbps. I must say. It is FAST. Never any buffering issues, even with 1080p video. I've clocked it at upto 100mbps down before! It's crazy fast!

Chart, I hate Norton and Symantec. I only like AVG personally.

Edited by breeves002

Hopefully once this tech comes for me today all my issues will be resolved, otherwise we might be going to dish. I dog sat for a friend this weekend and they had dish - didn't have any issues with the internet or tv the entire weekend. It seemed like the picture looked better aswell.

Also does anybody know if 1080p for Cable is possible?

I never liked norton, avg was ok, and I used to use mcaffe on my pc. Ended up just buying malware anit bytes and that thing worked wonders on our old pc. No issues with my mom's mac though.

It's possible, but it takes a lot of bandwidth! Cable still has analogue signals taking up a ton of space so they don't have a ton of room left for the digital HD stuff. That's why AT&T has way more channels in HD than anyone else.

Edited by breeves002

Also check your DNS server settings - your router or computer could be set to one that is unresponsive sometimes.

DNS basically == internet phonebook.

https://code.google.com/p/namebench/

It's possible, but it takes a lot of bandwidth! Cable still has analogue signals taking up a ton of space so they don't have a ton of room left for the digital HD stuff. That's why AT&T has way more channels in HD than anyone else.

Comcast has recently gone all Digital because of that. And soon, all QAM signals will be encrypted. FCC finally will allow encryption of basic cable, which for the longest time was forbidden. Trade off is each TV will require a STB or CableCARD if a device supports it.

Had the same issues Nick, went through 3 different modems. No luck.

What I did was call and tell them DirectTV or Dish is going to give you a better offer and complained to them about my internet, TV, etc. They lowered the bill and upgraded my download mbps. They event sent us a free router.

We called yesterday, and there is a servie guy coming today to check all of our lines.

@ Kevin, I've never heard of Arris and i think that is the router they are sending us, Would that be any better than my Linksys e4200?

Arris is a manufacturer of DOCSIS devices, and up until recently they were big into just eMTA's, or the box that supports both telephony and cable Internet. Recently, they bought the Motorola cable solutions from Google, I think all Moto boxes will become Arris now. In the Cable Industry, Arris is a big name.

If your cable provider is shipping you a gateway, where the box does both Phone, Internet, and WiFi... I am biased against those. I think they are garbage personally. I would rather have a standard eMTA/Cable Modem, and a decent dual band Wifi router such as a Buffalo or a Netgear that will support DD-WRT.

Comcast has recently gone all Digital because of that. And soon, all QAM signals will be encrypted. FCC finally will allow encryption of basic cable, which for the longest time was forbidden. Trade off is each TV will require a STB or CableCARD if a device supports it.

Exactly what I was going to say. Every TV has a cable card for me because I like HD, but its nice for places like my apartment complex where they offer free cable to people. No boxes with cards though. All analogue.

Most television programs are filmed in 1080i or 720p anyway. So if it says you're watching 1080p, chances are your box is upconverting. My PlayStation 3 does that to DVD's :P

Time warner sent out a contractor and i found out that only one of the tv cable lines is legal... My mom freaked out considering we built the house and this guys tells us we have illegal cable lines, but they are split using time warner splitters? Could use some clarification here kevin...

I guess my internet is fine, but my cable was bad due to the decibles? I got a new shiny samsung hd box though, replaced our 5 year old scientific atlanta.

Well, certain cable companies will charge you per outlet you have hooked up. This is the old days though

So, if your house is set up to have 3 outlets, and they see 5, they want to charge you for those 5. I didn't think TWC would still do that in this day and age... But I guess I was wrong.

Sadly, I do not work for TWC which means I don't have an inside scoop of their policies.

Well, certain cable companies will charge you per outlet you have hooked up. This is the old days though

So, if your house is set up to have 3 outlets, and they see 5, they want to charge you for those 5. I didn't think TWC would still do that in this day and age... But I guess I was wrong.

Sadly, I do not work for TWC which means I don't have an inside scoop of their policies.

The guy who came was a contractor for TWC, not a guy in a TWC truck. Does it matter if they think i have 1 and i actually have 5?

Most television programs are filmed in 1080i or 720p anyway. So if it says you're watching 1080p, chances are your box is upconverting. My PlayStation 3 does that to DVD's :P

Nearly seven years later, it's still one of the best Blu-ray and DVD players on the market. :D

• Like 1

The guy who came was a contractor for TWC, not a guy in a TWC truck. Does it matter if they think i have 1 and i actually have 5?

Again, sadly, I do not know. You might be able to find out if it matters or not in your Terms and Conditions. Comcast - it does not matter. However, if your outlet causes an issue (both to the cable provider or yourself) and we have to fix it, then it will be a $50 one time fee (Of course, can be waived by a tech at any time too).

Nearly seven years later, it's still one of the best Blu-ray and DVD players on the market. :D

Agreed! I bought my PS/3 80 GB Fatty PS/2 Support with the movie remote for $100 back in the day new. I use it mainly for Blu-rays or NetFlix :P

• Like 1

Couple pic of my system. TWC RR digital box, phone, and internet modem.

In pic Cable 1 the shiny splitter is theirs, runs to the modem, and to my powered splitter.

In pic Cable 2 I split and one to the digital box, one to the VCR, one to the TV for non digital, and digital goes through the Polaroid recorder and to the TV also.

Surprise, it works.

Got 4 working TV's but only 1 on digital.

Digital cable box TV works fine, but I keep it on UPS backup power. Slight power blink and cable box turns off. If I am recording, all ends.

So my Polaroid recorder and cable box are UPS.

-chart-

Edited by -chart-

:ohnoes: :ohnoes: :ohnoes: :ohnoes:

A Radio Shack set of amplifiers!!! Those generally are built like s**t and cause problems...

Also push on jumpers... Not even RG59 quality... Electrical tape on the F Connectors... Cable tech's worst nightmare right there Chart. Thanks for making me cringe on my day off :lol:

Also are you going from 1 amp, to another amp? Looks like you are...

Time Warner doesn't charge for the number of individual hookups, every single room in our house has a cable hookup and only 1 bedroom lacks a TV, no extra charge. But they do charge for the number of cable boxes you have.

Agreed! I bought my PS/3 80 GB Fatty PS/2 Support with the movie remote for $100 back in the day new. I use it mainly for Blu-rays or NetFlix :P

Heh, I shelled out $499 for the 160GB model (I don't regret it, but I'll never pay that much for a game console again). I use my Roku for Netflix, though. PS3 is games and Blu-rays.

On topic,

Have you done a speedtest to see your ping rate and whether you're actually getting the bandwidth you're promised?

Edited by The White Falcon

:ohnoes: :ohnoes: :ohnoes: :ohnoes:

A Radio Shack set of amplifiers!!! Those generally are built like s**t and cause problems...

Also push on jumpers... Not even RG59 quality... Electrical tape on the F Connectors... Cable tech's worst nightmare right there Chart. Thanks for making me cringe on my day off :lol:

Also are you going from 1 amp, to another amp? Looks like you are...

Things are not always as they seem, and if it ain't broke....

TW cable goes to their splitter, and one tap upstairs to my modem.

One tap goes to my TV area in pic 2. All their wires. I split and use their cable to my cable box, and to my TV.

I use a push on for the VCR which only the grandkids use and it has been off for a long time.

The amp also on pushons only now runs my 13" CRT in the kitchen. It is my breakfast news TV and couple bucks at garage sale. It is small enough to fit in the built in TV area. It does not need to be good quality. The taped wires are what were in the house when we moved in 32 years ago. It would be a real pain to redo any one of them. Other two TV's out of service. Good sets, just no longer used. Spares if my main goes bad.

I should check and see if I could do without the powered amp. It is old and was used before we got digital. At that time they ran new cable from the street all the way to the cable box. They found lots of issues with the old wire. Water in the connector at the street, old wire, no ground at the house entry.

So, except for the power the powered splitter uses, no need to change. Should remove the VCR and clean up at the TV.

My cranky with TW is they send this paper saying we can pay online, and I attach my printed paper back with my mailed check, telling them when they get a system that allows me to pay online, let me know, in the mean time stop wasting trees with this attachment.

Guess I am wasting trees sending it back. I figure they do not have the technology to do online bill paying.

-chart-

Ah, VHS. I think for the most part all the films that were exclusive have been released on a modern format. Only exceptions I could think of would be the original versions of Star Wars (Pre-Lucas is an Idiot Era), but those are also on LaserDisc (and the LD versions are on one of the DVD box-sets, which I have).

Still, that didn't stop me from pushing my parents to buy the only Blu-ray/DVD/VHS combo deck ever produced...it's massive! :D And now it's also extremely expensive to buy used now...especially since it upconverts the VHS signal to 1080p.

Edited by The White Falcon