it'sthatcar

Leather Steering Wheel Cover

Hey guys.

A little background info -- my dad's DD is a 2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac with a leather wrapped steering wheel. He puts a lot of miles on his truck for work, and it's also our primary stuff-hauler whenever we need to haul anything anywhere. Needless to say, it gets a lot of wear and tear.

His steering wheel looks and feels awful. It's completely worn away, and the once tan leather is now a sad, splotchy mix of tan, grey, and other assorted smudges. He really doesn't like it, and neither does anyone else who has the misfortune of driving his truck. He isn't a fan of steering wheel covers, and the ones I've gotten for him don't fit or "feel" right, plus they make the steering wheel really big and bulky.

He would like to have it re-covered, and so I thought for his birthday coming up (May 23rd) that maybe I'd have it recovered for him as a surprise present. I just don't know where to go to have it done or where to look for services to have it recovered. Has anyone had their leather steering wheels redone? If so, did you use a website, and which one? How did you like their services? I don't know how much it would cost to have it done, but I feel like it it's in or around the $200 range, my mom and brother would split the cost as a group present.

I found one website (craftcustoms.com) that will recover steering wheels and other stuff, but they're located in Texas, so shipping from Minnesota would be somewhat painful, plus you have to send them the product you want recovered, so I would have to find another steering wheel in a JY or online to send to them, and at that cost I might as well just buy a new or OEM wheel that looks new.

So. Any ideas? Any and all help is appreciated :)

Wheelskins.com, they are DIY leather steering wheel wraps. Very nice quality leather.

Wheelskins.com, they are DIY leather steering wheel wraps. Very nice quality leather.

Thanks! I'll check them out :) That sounds like a pretty good deal.