2000_Gold_Taurus

What's Wrong With Your Car(S)?

You both drive cars that don't exist anymore!! :P

Does this include me? I have 2 cars that don't exist too you know!

People think they are still making mercury's. I've had several people ask if my car was a 2012 or 2013

*cough*

THUNDERWHAT?

*cough*

:P

They still make Fords though ;)

:lol:

Mercurys *were* Fords, so they are still being produced.

Nah, it don't work that way, it is like saying Edsels are still being produced, or Oldsmobiles :lol:

Oldsmobiles are just Chevys with ugly grilles.

Yeah, 1st gen Aurora's were sweet, didn't care as much for the 2nd gen, and the "short star" was horrible.

I didn't mind the interior of the FWD Bonnies. They were very comfortable cruisers with the reliable 3800, especially Supercharged. Come to think of it, I'd  probably take one of them over the Aurora just because it'll last longer and be cheaper to fix.

The short star has issues, my buddies dad is still trying to sell their 02 Intrigue that has major over heating issues.

My distant cousin has one. She told me she loves the car. It blew an engine (Short Star), her then-husband spent BIG money having it fixed. She continues to drive it.

The Bonneville isn't bad either.

Interiors on both were horrid, though.

I think everything about the Bonneville was a disaster. Ugly car all around, in my opinion. Pontiac in general had terrible interiors from the early 90's through it's demise. 

I came within $100 of buying a '93 Bonnie SE with a transmission problem. You'd take off, it'd shift perfect, you'd be going along and all of the sudden, nothing. No forward action anymore. Restart the car, everything's back to normal for a while, then nothing again. Took like 30 minutes to take it up the block and back, lol, but we figured that it had to be computer/sensor-related and not in need of a rebuild, so I tried my best to buy it from the guy when we got back. I was $100 short of his bottom dollar. I should've went back for it, but it was just an SE with beige cloth (column shift) in fair overall condition.

2013 Fit, 21K miles - NOTHING   :mj_banana:

... And I'm shopping around for another SHO. 94 or 95  :read:

I'd hope there's not any problems with a brand new car.  It's barely a couple of years old.

LOL! GF's KIA Soul..... 25k miles and its had a misfire that took a week to fix (due to carbon buildup after they replaced $4000 in parts), power locks stopped working.... been a long time and still not resolved....they have tried like 4 different things.... seat squeaked, needed a new seat track.... UGH ITS A PIECE OF JUNK AND was only built  in early december 2011... we got it straight from the factory only a few weeks later.........

I have a friend who has one and its been perfect.... So idk. Some people just get unlucky. We're dumping this car when it hits 100k and the power train warranty runs out.

Parents 2012 Taurus with double the mileage of the Fit: NOTHING :chili::P heh heh.

I personally don't care much for Fit, I do however kinda like the new City sedan they showed in India (and elsewhere) not long ago. I usually prefer hatches over sedans but I'm the opposite with Fit and City.

In small cars I have to agree I like hatchbacks. Of course bigger cars are consider a station wagon. Like the KIA soul is a "small station wagon". Like the Nissan Versa...I hate that car already, but the sedan model shouldn't even exist!

First year cars seem to always have problems. Ford especially has this problem.... That soul was the third year of it but they put a brand new power train in along with styling updates for that year.... It was a needed upgrade for sure, but that motor builds up carbon so quickly its not even funny... STUPID GDI.

The real problem is that it's... a Honda Fit. :ph34r:

The real problem is that it's... a Honda Fit. :ph34r:

There are Fits on FitFreak.net that hit 200K + miles with nothing but basic maintenance. There is even one guy with 07' Fit from Arizona. The car has 320K + miles and not a single thing went wrong with it. I loved my SHO and I'm looking for another one but I cringe every time I see just run of the mill Taurus.  

Edited by OmmEGGA

I actually wanted a Fit Sport at one time (this was like 2007-2008). I'm told it's actually quite spacious for bigger guys. That's one of my complaints with Holly, a lack of headroom. Moonroof lowers the headliner too much.

My dash rattle disappeared and I noticed it again tonight.

Figured out why...

I've had it parked in the garage for a few weeks now! It's warmer in there than outside, never gets below 40 degrees. SO I had it parked outside for about 7 hours today and then the rattle happened.

it's not actually a rattle, that went away with the new windshield. It's the foam rubbing against the other foam and making a popping noise.

Jeff says his Sable does it too!

There are Fits on FitFreak.net that hit 200K + miles with nothing but basic maintenance. There is even one guy with 07' Fit from Arizona. The car has 320K + miles and not a single thing went wrong with it. I loved my SHO and I'm looking for another one but I cringe every time I see just run of the mill Taurus.  

Hey man, I didn't really mean to dog on your choice in cars. If there's one thing about Honda, it's their ability to make decent small cars (and small engined-equipment) that are reliable and have decent driving dynamics for their segment usually. Problem is, Fiesta is now available with even better driving dynamics and better MPG to boot. First-year issues aside, it's a well-built and well-designed car. The ST is a ball and as I mentioned in the other thread, I've heard very good things about the 1.0L EcoBoost model as well. Time will tell about reliability, but the current Fit is outclassed by it, but that could change with the new model coming. I'd still take the Fit over a Yaris or freakin Versa, no doubt. 

Re: rattles. I figured out why my '95 Taurus rattles behind the steering column. The bolts that hold the gauge cluster surround in were removed and not put back in (there is evidence they were there, but they're definitely not there now). I am sure I have suitable replacements in my many containers of used Ford small parts, lol. I'll dig them out when I swap the cluster out for a tach-equipped one. Maybe I can find a new clock to put in it by then too, and if I'm really lucky, I can find some new auxiliary audio controls to replace mine since the "SEEK" button on mine is getting intermittent. 

There is evidence that the steering column shroud has been removed as well (incorrectly aligned on one side), probably when they replaced the ignition cylinder (which in a Tempo and Aerostar is removable without removing the shroud, not sure if the Taurus is too but I bet it is). I think it was replaced because it's key with the Ford oval on it fits only it and not either front doors. The other keys I got with the car, aside from the Ford-branded round key that operates the power trunk release, trunk, and glove box that looks well used, are all off-brand duplicates. I haven't tried them in the doors to see if they work. So far, I haven't driven it anywhere I needed to really worry about locking it. There are good things about living way out in the woods, lol. When I bought a new ignition cylinder from AutoZone for my Aerostar this past summer, it came with Ford-branded keys. 

Edited by JohnTaurus