moore99

2004 Sable Ls Premium Radio/airbags?

Ok, this is my first post, so I will try not to sound clueless.

I purchased an 04 Sable LS Premium with 90k miles at auction a couple weeks ago.

Issues are being resolved right now that I could not manage (rear cat before the y-pipe clogged and needs replacing).

However, my mechanic tells me the Airbag Warning light is on, in part because the car has an older (2001) radio in the dash. I knew the radio was not working and it is on my list of things to do, but I never would have imagined that any of the circuits for the Airbags would go through the radio. Maybe it is some kind of anti-theft thing?

I knew a previous owner had done something with the sound system, as there is a Sirius antenna on the roof and I found a manual for a Sirius system in the glove box.

My mech says it looks like whatever was previously installed was removed, the wires cut, and this radio was just put in to fill the hole. He did say the OEM wiring is still intact and should just plug in once I install the correct unit.

Does this make sense? How do I determine, assuming I can find one that works, if I am getting the right radio/stereo etc to fix this?

Does anyone recommend a source for this part?

Junkyard. The 2004-2007 radios had a special airbag light on them. I didn't know that'd cause a warning light, though. Anyone else heard of that?

You'll need to get one with the electronic climate control, though(assuming you have it). Can be sourced from any 2004-2007 Taurus or Sable.

Edited by The White Falcon

Yes, you need a 2004-2007 EATC integrated control panel. There is an indicator and a resistor setup inside the radio to let you know if the passenger air bag is disabled. Should be in the bottom right hand corner of the plastic fascia.

Sounds like you have an intelligent mechanic, wow. Keep him around, he made a good observation.

I know of two yards that have the correct car right now, one is 50 miles away, another 60 miles away.

Yes, failure to have the proper resistance where the LED would be will cause an airbag malfunction code. It's a safety thing with newer cars to have Passenger airbag disable, and be visible that it is off or on. Shortcut is to cut the 2 wires (I can get you which 2 if you'd like) for the airbag display, and connect them to a resistor to trick the system.

Edit: Does he have EATC? Because if he has a 2000-2003 EATC Module in, the EATC would not work. I've done the testing.

Edited by TaurusKev

^agreed. The dash light can be set as a result of the pass airbag off light/switch not being connected on the OEM head or a proper adapter kit (w/ light) installed.

The module that is in the car does have the electronic climate control, and it does work. Is that EATC you are referring to?

Aside from the controls working, is there any other way I can determine if the car originally had elec controls? Is that a given considering the trim package?

Thanks for the help. I am very happy with my mechanic. Been using them for 13 years now. They advise and consult about half the time I need work (so I don't really screw anything up) and I make sure they do the jobs I cannot. Pretty good relationship.

Would the automatic climate control unit coincide with the trunk mounted CD changer?

Yeah, LS Premiums had Electronic Automatic Temperature Control, or EATC.

You can put electronic controls in one that had manual, but you can't do the reverse.

The entire unit can be swapped pretty easily.

If you have a six-disc changer, you usually have an EATC unit with a tape deck. But you don't have to have the EATC to have the changer (I don't).

Edited by The White Falcon

Yeah, LS Premiums had Electronic Automatic Temperature Control, or EATC.

You can put electronic controls in one that had manual, but you can't do the reverse.

The entire unit can be swapped pretty easily.

If you have a six-disc changer, you usually have an EATC unit with a tape deck. But you don't have to have the EATC to have the changer (I don't).

What he said

I thought if the changer came in the trunk you could have the EATC with the CD player. I didn't realize they trunk mounted the changers in LS Premiums. Learn something new every day!

As long as he gets a 04-07 taurus/sable ICP with EATC he is fine though, tape deck or no tape deck? Or do all the EATC ones have a tape deck (I don't think so)?

I thought if the changer came in the trunk you could have the EATC with the CD player. I didn't realize they trunk mounted the changers in LS Premiums. Learn something new every day!

As long as he gets a 04-07 taurus/sable ICP with EATC he is fine though, tape deck or no tape deck? Or do all the EATC ones have a tape deck (I don't think so)?

My '01 LS Prem has trunk mounted CD and EATC. But CD it is a waste. I do not use it. Old car, used local use.

It does work, or used to.

Radio is on the drivers side rear, CD on pas side rear.

I think they make all kinds of combos.

On a personal note, guess I am really spoiled. Drove the rice couple of days ago and I get in and the fan is on high and the air is cold. Turn the fan down but for got to turn it up later.

However, I think I now see why I really dislike the electric steering. In the center small moves of the wheel and it moves in steps. Maybe 3/8" of the rim between steps. Takes some effort to move from one step to the next. So, one step and it drifts right, one step the other way and it drifts left. It feels like it is run by a stepping motor and in very small moves, you feel the steps. I drove the '03 Sable on the interstate Sat, and makes me appreciate, seemless steering, good feedback. Wheeeee!

-chart-

I don't trust anything with the steering control not mechanically connected from the wheel.