Daylight Running Kignts Control Module..

OK,I did a little homework to search out this issue.The headlights (Daylight Running Lights...DLRL) remain on after the car is shut off.I' ve temporarily removed the fuse to this circuit in the main fuse box located close to the battery.I understand that the DLRL control module is located underneath the battery tray,but don't have a picture of it or explanation of any replaceable parts for it.There is also made mention of a bad headlight switch that may cause this problem...has anyone stumbled across this one?...Gar

Edited by GSD

OK,I did a little homework to search out this issue.The headlights (Daylight Running Lights...DLRL) remain on after the car is shut off.I' ve temporarily removed the fuse to this circuit in the main fuse box located close to the battery.I understand that the DLRL control module is located underneath the battery tray,but don't have a picture of it or explanation of any replaceable parts for it.There is also made mention of a bad headlight switch that may cause this problem...has anyone stumbled across this one?...Gar

The DRL relay is in the Relay Center Box #1 beside the fog light relay. But then I do not know right of where that is.

-chart-

Chart..thanks for the reply.Well,the car does'nt have fog lights,but has daylight running lights.I made a mess of the spelling of the topic,that should read ' DAYLIGHT RUNNING LIGHTS CONTROL MODULE' ,and did'nt know how to correct my error.You've given me a hint as to how better find it.I'll look more closely at the circuit diagram in Chilton's,although it may make me go blind....

Chart..thanks for the reply.Well,the car does'nt have fog lights,but has daylight running lights.I made a mess of the spelling of the topic,that should read ' DAYLIGHT RUNNING LIGHTS CONTROL MODULE' ,and did'nt know how to correct my error.You've given me a hint as to how better find it.I'll look more closely at the circuit diagram in Chilton's,although it may make me go blind....

I found one at Rock Auto...it's located under the battery tray,and partly visible beneath it with the BOSCH trademark stamp showing.Seems like it's a sealed solid state device,and not serviceable....the new one I've ordered is made by Airtex/Wells.

Well,I think the current is backflowing from the battery when the engine is shut off,because of a diode failure in this thing.I'm sort of compulsive in wanting what's in the car to be working.I'm going to have to leave the fuse out until the new part comes in,but I tend to forget things....got a picture of the fuse panel so I can backtrack.

It's funny because I used to have this problem on my old '93 Taurus. The DRLs were on ALL the time. Even when the car was off.

I also had to pull the DRL fuse.

My idea of DRL!

All 3 of mine have autolamps and NO DRL!

I put a small piece of dark cloth over the light sensor, leave them on "auto".

Done deal.

Or on if the sensor fails, it fails with the lights on all the time the engine is on.

-chart-

My idea of DRL!

All 3 of mine have autolamps and NO DRL!

I put a small piece of dark cloth over the light sensor, leave them on "auto".

Done deal.

Or on if the sensor fails, it fails with the lights on all the time the engine is on.

-chart-

Maybe you should move on up to Canada.

Or just buy a car here and import it!

Maybe you should move on up to Canada.

Or just buy a car here and import it!

I have mine fixed. redneck DRL's.

Only need to switch out my headlight switch with one that lets me use fogs in "auto" mode.

Got the switch, and that issue will be fixed, and that is important to me.

I go South for Lo Rust used cars. See pic. 10 year old, under rear bumper, first place to check for rust condition.

From Virginia.

I've seen enough rust to last me a lifetime.

-chart-

That looks nice and clean up under there. Hardly any rot poking through.

Saw a black on black leather late model Continental at the yard recently. Nice looking car! Column shift, big comfy leather seats. I see why people like them.

That looks nice and clean up under there. Hardly any rot poking through.

Saw a black on black leather late model Continental at the yard recently. Nice looking car! Column shift, big comfy leather seats. I see why people like them.

Virginia,eh?...good thought.I keep looking every now and then....what other states do you know of that don't use salt in the winter?

Virginia,eh?...good thought.I keep looking every now and then....what other states do you know of that don't use salt in the winter?

Added a pic of my 01 last year, upstate NY it's whole life.

I got my '03 in Wilkes-Barre PA and it is still no rust in sight. Not all the cars there were low rust, but more likely than 150 miles to the North. When I looked at used cars on the internet, I looked at their history first. Car may be for sale in VA but spent much of it's life in MI. My Sable bought there was a native.

My Lin Cont was one owner, local, serviced at the selling dealer, no smoking, and from ~Fredricksburg. 375 miles to get it but it is worth it as my cars usually rust out before they wear out.

My '01 Sable wagon as per the picture was "right place right time right price" deal.

So when I go shopping, I look under the rear bumper and that is my first consider or walk away.

And under the hood, this is my buy, 10 year old and no corrosion on the aluminum intake. Sometimes one can see a bit from the internet pictures.

-chart-