Sign in to follow this  
TaurusKev

I Knew Stick Shift Transmissions Are Better

Agree: with today's PB, if it is applied well, there is no way to drive off with it on. And if you do not use regular, then your brakes will not be adjusted.

And the cable will stick when you do use it.

Well worth repeating.

With drums or discs, application of the parking brake adjusts the rear brakes.

If I am wrong on drums, someone correct it.

I am 100% on discs, the PB does the adjusting.

-chart-

The parking brake on the explorer does nothing to adjust the brakes, itself or the the service brakes, when I had them done I told the shop to set them loose so there was no chance of dragging, with the E brake all the way down I can drive off with it on, its just enough force to hold the vehicle, but it can easily be overcome when driving off. You set them too tight and they drag, I had this happend after I replaced an axle shaft. I had to go back and loosen them up. The explorers have a terrible rear brake setup.

The parking brake on the explorer does nothing to adjust the brakes, itself or the the service brakes, when I had them done I told the shop to set them loose so there was no chance of dragging, with the E brake all the way down I can drive off with it on, its just enough force to hold the vehicle, but it can easily be overcome when driving off. You set them too tight and they drag, I had this happend after I replaced an axle shaft. I had to go back and loosen them up. The explorers have a terrible rear brake setup.

But, Taurus/Sables have good PB on both drums and discs. I have one of each. The '01 with discs does not chime, but, it ain't going anywhere.

The '03 chimes and it ain't going anywhere anyway until you pull the handle.

My '01 sticks on the driver's side when it is cold and ice covered. Sprayed it few days ago and it hasn't stuck since.

I will put a new cable on it in the spring. ~$10.

The Lin is automatic release.

As far as other brake systems, not on my radar.

I had heard though, that vehicles with shoes inside the disc, make it impossible to get the disc off if they drag. Big Hammer break parts. That is the recommended procedure.

-chart-

But, Taurus/Sables have good PB on both drums and discs. I have one of each. The '01 with discs does not chime, but, it ain't going anywhere.

The '03 chimes and it ain't going anywhere anyway until you pull the handle.

My '01 sticks on the driver's side when it is cold and ice covered. Sprayed it few days ago and it hasn't stuck since.

I will put a new cable on it in the spring. ~$10.

The Lin is automatic release.

As far as other brake systems, not on my radar.

I had heard though, that vehicles with shoes inside the disc, make it impossible to get the disc off if they drag. Big Hammer break parts. That is the recommended procedure.

-chart-

Exactly right, that is why I refuesed to touch the explorers brakes, you can't even brake the rotors off becasue the ebrake holds them on, plus all the rust doesn't help.

Exactly right, that is why I refuesed to touch the explorers brakes, you can't even brake the rotors off becasue the ebrake holds them on, plus all the rust doesn't help.

Big enough hammer will fix that.

BIG is GOOD.

Need some new rotors on hand.

-chart-

Hammer usually doesn't do it for the explorer, you need to step it up to the pry bar, usually the rotors are so rusty you have to replace them.

Hammer usually doesn't do it for the explorer, you need to step it up to the pry bar, usually the rotors are so rusty you have to replace them.

My take was, use a big hammer and break the rotors into pieces.

-chart-

I should probably get in the habit of using my parking break. I'm afraid that my brother would drive off with it on, while the chime went off, because he wouldn't know where the release is....

Only an idiot fails to acknowledge the status lights on their instrumentation.

If the brake light is malfunctioning, then a good owner would address that.

Every single time I start up any car, I look at the panel. Ensure prove out lights come on, then disappear as necessary. On my T-Bird, all the cargo vans I've driven, I also pay close attention to voltage, oil, and temp along with standard fuel. Then again... I am a super observant person... Anyone who fails to pay attention to these deserves to have car issues. I am sorry. It's called being responsible I suppose.

Because of this, I don't trust my fleet with anyone I suppose, I don't think others pay close attention like me.

Every single time I start up any car, I look at the panel. Ensure prove out lights come on, then disappear as necessary. On my T-Bird, all the cargo vans I've driven, I also pay close attention to voltage, oil, and temp along with standard fuel. Then again... I am a super observant person... Anyone who fails to pay attention to these deserves to have car issues. I am sorry. It's called being responsible I suppose.

Because of this, I don't trust my fleet with anyone I suppose, I don't think others pay close attention like me.

Everything works fine, but i honestly don't trust anybody to even put gas in my car, makes me nervous enough when my brother drives and i'm in the car.

I do as well, and its funny you say so, the explorers light works on and off, sometimes it works and other times it doesn't, there is no fix, everything is fine. The cruise control light is the same, I've had times where it doesn't light up. The last thing i am going to do is tear that cluster apart and try to find the problem.

And you know in most cases the voltage and oil pressure gauge on all fords are dummy gauges and mean nothing. That is one of the things I hate about ford.

In the Thunderbird, the volt gauge is actually accurate. The oil gauge I need to do the fix for it. There is a way to make it a live gauge. But still, volt gauge is semi-accurate in newer Ford Trucks. I do like when I drive a GM van all the instrumentation appears to be live and accurate. You can actually see the needles move when you floor the gas. I suppose Ford thought it was a distraction. :P

And as for lights, I do know the T-Bird's parking brake light sometimes is slow. I need to take the contact switch apart and clean off all the gunk. But I am the only one who drives her at the moment, and I know it's on. If not, the minute I shift into gear, it's way too obvious with RWD + Rear drums engaged.

I was so used to setting my parkingbrake in my Taurus, when I started driving the tbird I think I popped the hood at least 3 times trying to release it.

I like the push down/push up of the tbirds parking brake. Hated at first but now I can't stand it without it.

I must research if I can install one in a Taurus.

I used to watch gages back in the day but now depend on the sound and feel on startup. Glance at the lights and feel for free roll when in gear. I have had few brake drags on the '01. One front guide pins corroded, one rear caliper going bad, couple brake cable hangups.

Have had a couple of slow to bring up oil pressure, and that is by ear. Oil drainback due to bad FRAM filter back checks. Likely does not hurt much but irritates me so I usually change oil and filter soon. No more FRAM.

-chart-

Yeah, Fram is garbage. I use Motorcraft filters on my Fords. You can have an engine sound good, but still have issues, like lower than normal oil pressure. That's why I need to revise my oil gauge on the T-Bird. http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=75977 Then it becomes a live gauge :)

Roach, I love the Push On/Off pedals. It'd be so much nicer on my E-250 and Taurus. So much easier to not have to reach over to pull the lever. All foot controlled :)