Sign in to follow this  
TaurusKev

I Knew Stick Shift Transmissions Are Better

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/01/29/stick-shift-baffles-would-be-car-thieves-in-florida/

Long story short: Guy in a Corvette getting carjacked kept the car because the thieves couldn't figure out how to start the Vette. :P

Baaaahahahahaha. Dumbass's. Top ten reasons you should not be a crook. 1. You don't know how to drive a manual trans car, the one you just carjacked. Lol

I'm not too worried about anyone stealing the restored classic Harley Davidson off my front porch. You gotta know how to turn on the fuel petcock, prime the carb, and switch on the ignition (no key required). And then its kick start only, takes at least 5 minutes to warm up, and loud as hell. It weighs half a ton so carrying it off ain't much of an option either. Or just follow the trail of leaking oil. So basic though.

Wow.... A lot of people don't know how to drive a stick. I used to drive a VW stick. Long gone thank God, but long story short, I let people try and drive it sometimes if they could figure out how to start it. Anyone who didn't know how to drive a stick just turned the key with it both in gear and no clutch depressed and were dumbfounded when nothing happened. They thought I was stupid for saying 'you can drive it if you can start it'. It was hilarious. I learned how to drive a stick on an old Honda CR-V. That thing has a really hard clutch. I was happy though because it prepared me for driving other cars that are a stick lol.

I'm going to drive to you and steal your Harley now that I know how to start it! Warm up time? What warm up time? HAH! Who says I can't lift 1000lbs. None of you have ever seen me. I could be some massive body builder. I'm not...but I could be. Or the fact I've never driven a large bike. Drivin some small 250's or less. Simple enough.

Edited by breeves002

Serves them right for wanting to take a Corvette in the first place... :P

:ph34r:

3015_want_to_prevent_car_theft_get_a_stick_shift_700.jpg
  • Like 5

The July 2012 issue of Top Gear Magazine had an interesting article about a road test of the 2013 Ford Focus ST (Across America in the New Focus ST).His photographer and sole travelling companion – sheepishly admitted he couldn’t “drive stick”.

The story reminded me of our experience at the Ford Nationals in Carlisle PA a couple of years ago. The Focus enthusiasts were visibly upset we had swapped out the five speed manual drivetrain for the six speed SVT version. "Do you know how rare manual Focus wagons are?" was the common question. No, I was looking for a black one, and found at least one of each colour, all manuals.

And considering neutral safety clutch interlock has been around since the 1960's (1968 El Camino was my first experience) that Vette would have been mine.

I can tell you first hand, had it been an old 90's Dodge, it had no neutral safety switch :P

Remember as a kid starting my aunt's Dakota up in 1st gear. That was fun :lol:

But I know better now. I love manuals, and this sport shift tranny in my Focus is not the same. To be honest, I kind of like that many people can't drive it, and if I got a nice sports car that was manual, I could have the comfort knowing nobody will be driving it except me or an experienced driver (I would make them take me around the block, if its a smooth ride, then it's okay to lend the car out)

Manual transmissions and little kids are never a good combo, when I was little my mom left me in our 1988 or so tempo, she didn't set the ebrake and little curious me managed to get the car out of first and into neutral and on our ever so slight incline of a driveway the car and me in it rolled into the neighbors yard.

My parents never set the parking brake on either of the manual cars back in the 90's both just sat in the garage in 1st.

Manual transmissions and little kids are never a good combo, when I was little my mom left me in our 1988 or so tempo, she didn't set the ebrake and little curious me managed to get the car out of first and into neutral and on our ever so slight incline of a driveway the car and me in it rolled into the neighbors yard.

My parents never set the parking brake on either of the manual cars back in the 90's both just sat in the garage in 1st.

I did something of that sort in my moms econoline. Was an auto, i think i just shifted it into neutral or reverse and went across the cul-d-sac and into the neighbors mailbox.

I always use the parking brake. Auto or Manual. It's called a Parking Brake for a reason. :)

When I was in Italy we had a manual mid 2000's Focus wagon 5 speed and my dad tried to start it in first, no neutral safety switch... He got really lucky though haha.

I ALWAYS set the parking brake. Auto or manual. Put the manual in first for an extra line of protection. I just feel like my transmissions going to fall out when I shift from park after not parking with it on. Poor parking pawl, what did anyone ever do to it?

I had several interested buyers for the SVT Contour back out when they found out it was a stick. Learn how to drive!

I'm going to drive to you and steal your Harley now that I know how to start it! Warm up time? What warm up time? HAH! Who says I can't lift 1000lbs. None of you have ever seen me. I could be some massive body builder. I'm not...but I could be. Or the fact I've never driven a large bike. Drivin some small 250's or less. Simple enough.

Kick starting isn't exactly safe either. Sometimes it will fire late and either wreck your knee or toss you over the handle bars. Kinda like the old automobile hand cranks that would break an arm.

I did something of that sort in my moms econoline. Was an auto, i think i just shifted it into neutral or reverse and went across the cul-d-sac and into the neighbors mailbox.

Guilty. :ph34r:

In my case, it was my grandparents' neighbor's old car- parked in the driveway next door. No damage, but it rolled across the street in Neutral and stopped against the opposite curb. A 1959 Impala, the style with the huge Unibrow trunk... :blush: I barely remember it happening, but I've since been told that I was about 4 years old and that their neighbor's reaction was basically "If he wanted to check out our old Chevy, he could have just asked". :P

I always use the parking brake. Auto or Manual. It's called a Parking Brake for a reason. :)

Back in the day

Most parking brakes did not work, or if they did, not too well. Always park in low.

As for "stick" well, tuesday I have breakfast with my old coots. I'll ask if anyone does NOT know how to drive:

3 on the tree.

4 on the floor.

When I got my drivers license, Dec 1955 only manual trans were allowed. Few years later there was a "old lady's" auto license only offered.

I took mine in 1948 Ford heavy duty half ton, 85hp flathead and 4 on the floor, no sync. Had to double clutch and I could do it without a slightest grind.

The pickup was much easier to park parallel than cars of the day. Rear windows were small and high, and no pas side mirrors outside. From the pickup, easy to see out the back and see the tailgate.

Part of the test was to stop on a hill, start up without moving back more than a foot. (estimated by the mean tester)

'35, '36, 39 Fords, 3 on the floor.

'50, '55, '60, '64 3 on the tree.

'60 Valliant 3 on the floor.

After that all automatics.

Also drove '48 Ford 2 ton, 4 on the floor, no sycnro, and 2 speed rear axle, vacuum shift.

-chart-

There really is no point in setting the parking brake when your on a flat surface, most people forget that they set the brake when they go back hours later to drive again. I've done this myself, not in the taurus because ford was smart and put a chimmer on that car but the explorer and the escape lack a chimmer and sometimes it can take a few seconds for me to notice the light is on or feel something isnt right. I am trying to get in the habit of setting the explorers brake more often so the shoes last longer and don't rust out from just stitting.

Doesn't matter. If I'm parking, the parking brake is used. Flat, Uphill, or downhill. I want the car to be held by the brakes, not having multiple thousands of pounds pressing against a pin in the transmission.

Ever heard a Taurus with an AX4S parking uphill or downhill w/o the pbrake coming out of park? It sounds like a gunshot went off.

Owners manual also says to use the parking brake when parking in any Taurus owners manual...

Doesn't matter. If I'm parking, the parking brake is used. Flat, Uphill, or downhill. I want the car to be held by the brakes, not having multiple thousands of pounds pressing against a pin in the transmission.

Ever heard a Taurus with an AX4S parking uphill or downhill w/o the pbrake coming out of park? It sounds like a gunshot went off.

Owners manual also says to use the parking brake when parking in any Taurus owners manual...

I remember my mother driving a 69 Grand Troino taking kids out a back road to collect for some charity. She saw someone she knew, got out of the car and it proceeded to run off a bank, over a cliff and down into a dry creek bed. Likely still there. Nearly new car.

I like the early Taurus with auto PB release. Do not know when they did that, but the Lin still does.

It is just a habit like taking the keys out, and locking the door.

Maybe a poll to see how many here actually looked at their owner's guide. 2 to 0 for starters.

And I remember my '60 Valliant, leave it in 1st gear and it would still roll away. Engine too loose and no compression. Let it roll backwards in R and it jumped time.

And one more for the strange surprises. They do not run with a bolt in the crank to keep the pulley/damper on. Use the bolt to install, and then remove the bolt. Fan will not clear the bolt. Oh the good old days. So to do the timing chain, I needed to find a bolt to install.

-chart-

I

Edited by -chart-

Like i said before, when you share your vehicles with other people and those people are not as interested in cars and your ebrake is set, there is a good chance they will drive off with it on and destroy something. If I am on a slight incline then I will use it but if its flat there is no point, in most cases the pawl doesn't even take any pressure since the car doesn't move, thats how our garage is, you could leave the car in neutral and it would stay there. I don't think you have to worry about people bumping into your car unless you are parking in a big city like chicago, where there is minimal respect when parallel parking.

I ALWAYS use the brake like I said before. Originally my car didn't have the chime and I just remembered to take it off every time. Even if someone else had driven my car and didn't set it I still grabbed for it. My brake light was always on for years and I still set it and took it off every time.

Now my car dings at me with the 2003 GEM. I hate it. I know to take the brake off... Oh well, the other new features are worth it. I just learn to remove the brake before putting it into gear. Usually I put my foot on the brake, put it into gear, then release the parking brake.

However Trace you do have a point... Two parking brake stories, second is a true horror story and I wasn't alive, but almost made it so I wouldn't exist at all!

First story - with the sable - grandpa forgot to release it, got home, drums were smoking. Sprayed them with cold garden hose water, everything was okay luckily!!

Second story - around 1961 or 62 or so grandma had some brake work done and the moron who did it screwed up the parking brake so it stuck and stayed always on (or in theory thats what happened). Anyway some brake was dragging very badly. Grandma had all three kids in the car (mom and two aunts, mom was a baby at the time). She noticed the car wasn't wanting to go faster than 50mph and took a lot more accelerator than normal. In theory the parking brake was released. Anyways, she noticed black smoke coming from the back. She pulled off the highway and got out of the car with the kids and ran. She was about 20 feet away and realized 'oh s**t, Where's Diane?' (my mom). Went back and the poor baby was in the car seat with soot on her face. She ran up the offramp with the kids to a gas station to call the fire department. When they got there the car was in a huge blaze. As the fire department was attempting to put out the fire all of the sudden a "pop, pop, bang bang" started coming from the trunk. There was live ammunition in there. My grandpa was an AirForce Colonel and back then you could take your weapons with you. Didn't think anything of leaving them in the trunk of the car... So the firefighters freaked out, no one got hurt luckily. Just a scary story.

As the fire department was attempting to put out the fire all of the sudden a "pop, pop, bang bang" started coming from the trunk. There was live ammunition in there.

Hahaha, I LoL'd

Like i said before, when you share your vehicles with other people and those people are not as interested in cars and your ebrake is set, there is a good chance they will drive off with it on and destroy something. If I am on a slight incline then I will use it but if its flat there is no point, in most cases the pawl doesn't even take any pressure since the car doesn't move, thats how our garage is, you could leave the car in neutral and it would stay there. I don't think you have to worry about people bumping into your car unless you are parking in a big city like chicago, where there is minimal respect when parallel parking.

I have had several vehicles brakes damaged from loaning my car to others. I always set the parking brake unless I'm parked on a completely flat surface in my garage. On the street or parking lot I always use the brake. It bothers me that so many people don't use parking brakes when they should.

• Like 1

I have had several vehicles brakes damaged from loaning my car to others. I always set the parking brake unless I'm parked on a completely flat surface in my garage. On the street or parking lot I always use the brake. It bothers me that so many people don't use parking brakes when they should.

Agree: with today's PB, if it is applied well, there is no way to drive off with it on. And if you do not use regular, then your brakes will not be adjusted.

And the cable will stick when you do use it.

Well worth repeating.

With drums or discs, application of the parking brake adjusts the rear brakes.

If I am wrong on drums, someone correct it.

I am 100% on discs, the PB does the adjusting.

-chart-