Sign in to follow this  
TaurusKev

Dodge Dart And Toyota Yaris Reviews

Well, I took my f**kus to the dealership today... While I waited, I went to go visit the next door Wickstrom Dodge, Chrysler, RAM, and Jeep Dealership. Went to look at the Dodge Dart Limited. Overall impressions, it's a different car. It's a solid car.

The car was nicely equipped with black leather interior, very plush, it felt like a throw back into the older days of GM with plush interiors. I loved it.

The U-Connect large touch screen was VERY instant! Very touch sensitive! I loved it! It sure seemed to be nice. Although, the sales rep did tell me U-Connect won't work like Sync when I want to play a track on my iPhone. So if I wanted to play The Clash - Rock the Casbah, I'd have to do it manually, but it'd play though the stereo.

The stereo sounded pretty nice too. As far as other features, I love the factory Remote starter... I am jealous of that. All in one fob. Other nifty features was under the passenger front seat, the ass cushion opens to allow for nice storage in there. Nice hidden compartment.

Other cool features this car featured: A VERY VERY toasty heated steering wheel! The steering wheel felt great to hold, and the heat would be extremely nice in the winter! Heated seats too that got very warm and toasty too. Overall, I do love the car. Chrysler Corporation is doing great for once!

There are a few complaints... You do need to read literature on how to use buttons. It's not intuitive. With MyFord Touch, it's kind of self explanatory. With the Chevy, the buttons too are pretty straight forward. Dodge? Gotta learn how to use them. Some arrows, then buttons that aren't labeled behind the steering wheel. One did station changing, other did volume/mute.

The other complaint I have with the car is the back seat, if you are over 6 ft, like you, Devin, you would not be able to comfortably sit in the back seat. Front seat you'd probably be fine.

I took a few pictures of the car, it's a very stylish car. Honestly, the big 3 have done a great job with compact cars (Cruze, Focus, and Dart)

IMG_0724_zpsb9890323.jpg

Front end is very attractive.

IMG_0725_zps5baf2990.jpg

Dodge finally put the battery in a serviceable location! It does use some Purple Coolant... So proprietary coolant :P

IMG_0723_zpsa18b0059.jpg

Very roomy under the seat :)

IMG_0726_zpsaedbffc2.jpg

I love the dash in this.

IMG_0727_zpsfa830259.jpg

IMG_0728_zpsd40dd3cd.jpg

IMG_0729_zpsc0499092.jpg

IMG_0731_zps9f1740e1.jpg

Kinky little key. That is actually it. It does have a thing that opens up for the door though.

IMG_0732_zps1a4d3570.jpg

IMG_0730_zpsf542b6ca.jpg

Window sticker, shockingly this is better equipped, except the lack of a hatch, but it cost a bit less. Hatchback cost $1000 extra IIRC. But I love the Dart's features over what I have. Rear view camera (I lack this), big screen, still has EATC, heated seat/steering (I lack heated steering), and the head rests feel a bit nicer too.

Overall, wow. Dodge... Huge improvement. Driven older DaimlerChrysler era models, and even the pre-Fiat models. I was never wow'd by the car.

Then, we go over back to the Ford dealer. Exactly what I thought, car requires the engine to be separated from trans. s**t's severely ******. So... Ford contracts Enterprise for rentals... Not pleased with the rental....

Ford will only cover a $30 a day rental. Which in this case - 2012 Toyota Yaris. Bare minimum.

Wow... Where do I start? Um... I won't complain about the smell or condition, that's not Toyota's fault, that's Enterprise's fault for giving me a model someone smoked in. And made it stink.

But I will complain about how incredibly lazy it is to throw the instrument cluster in the center of the ******* dash.

IMG_0733_zps66f8812e.jpg

I have to make an effort, to look over to the cluster, rather than a quick glance down at the speedometer by my hands. The speedometer being so far away, it looks like a blur, and how small the read out is. I feel like a backseat driver. Sure, it's cheap, and makes it easy to make the car LHD or RHD with the switch of the sides. But couldn't they design the sides to include the instrumentation? The LCD is hard to read too from the driver seat. I think Enterprise wrote down my Trip Odometer for my mileage too. The HVAC controls being so low, and so jam packed makes it difficult to clearly know I switched from Floor, to Vent/Floor. It is hard to feel each control too. I have to observe it. Then, I found out later, the control around the fan speed, that's also where Recirc/Fresh air is. Now I finally get fresh air in the damn car. Heater? Okay, that's there.

Close up of the instrumentation.

DSC_0663_zps32ac2c57.jpg

It is as primitive as it gets.

Someone didn't do the pre delivery either...

DSC_0659_zpsf08921b2.jpg

DSC_0660_zps3ab1c3f9.jpg

I can shift the car without a key!

DSC_0662_zps26a61432.jpg

DSC_0661_zps6f89ee48.jpg

OH SWEET! Toyota gave me an iPod Connector!!!

DSC_0655_zps8b1531f9.jpg

Let's open it up! Plug my USB cable in! :D :D :D

DSC_0657_zps836b4941.jpg

LOL! NO! f**k you! Buy proprietary Toyota Cable!!!

Traction off by the way will turn traction on after 30 Mph. Must be fleet override.

The most boring door ever:

DSC_0653_zps39a8e4ea.jpg

DSC_0652_zpsefe207d6.jpg

Isn't she so inviting? It's a throw back to an old Geo. Cept they had instrumentation in the center. Hell, a Geo would be more welcoming right now...

DSC_0651_zpsba9fb9a4.jpg

Everything blends in... I was shocked to find an arm rest in the back.

DSC_0650_zps16dbeb3b.jpg

f**k you rear passengers, no door pockets.

Also, I honestly thought this was the right way to open the hood.

DSC_0645_zps5b087c43.jpg

The hood was so light, I could take it off and hold it with one arm. All the metals feel so light, so cheap, and so bland.

Then I noticed this shortly, lol

DSC_0646_zps1eb460b7.jpg

So convenient. Being held by the battery :)

DSC_0643_zpse0ce9941.jpg

DSC_0642_zps3b97614f.jpg

Energy Conserving :wub:

DSC_0640_zpsa0aceacf.jpg

DSC_0639_zps5af22f20.jpg

DSC_0637_zps5a312424.jpg

DSC_0636_zpse7b41810.jpg

DSC_0635_zps6034e7aa.jpg

Never heard of Star Safety systems...

DSC_0634_zpsb0484f50.jpg

This car. Depresses the hell out of me honestly. I can't imagine being forced to buy one.

Even if I were on a tight budget, There are so many better cars on the market. Yaris starts at $14,370. Chevrolet Sonic: $14,185, Ford Fiesta S: $13,200, Dodge Dart (yes, it's bigger, but I'll throw Dodge in): $15,995.

The Sonic and Fiesta both are very competitive in standard features. They are also both very fun to drive. The Yaris? Horrible.

I am pretty sure my Yaris rental is a base model, it sure as hell feels like one. So if you go strictly by price, the Ford Fiesta S wins.

In the end. I wouldn't understand why someone would buy a Yaris. It's uncomfortable, it's slow. It feels like s**t on wheels. And just the overall impression. The styling and standard features would fit more in the 90's.

Maybe the Yaris can be well equipped... But when I looked at Ford and GM, I didn't need some stupid ass special cable to hook my phone into the car. That alone makes me hate the car. Special proprietary dealer addons. f**k you Toyota. Seriously. f**k you.

2013-01-29_15-56-26_873.jpg

Dat base model Ford Aux input

I can't decide if I like the dart or not. I have seen some I like and others I don't. It comes down to color I think.

I'm not a fan of the lighted taillight surrounds every manufacture is doing. It's like they don't know how to finish the ass of a car and throw lights at it(I'm looking at you Fusion)

The Yaris doesn't even get good mileage for what it is either. It's a Toyota so people will buy it regardless though.

• Like 1

In the end, I think I'd rather have the Focus. It's roomier. I can comfortably seat 4 adults. The Dart is tight in the back seat. That right there is a huge factor.

However, I wouldn't recommend against the Dart. I do love how they did the dash though. I wish Dodge did a hatch of the Dart though.

Boy, I feel sorry for you Kevin!!

That Yaris is one UGLY car!!

I must admit, I really like the full led taillights on the Dart as on the Charger (optional, I'm sure).

Had heard that the Dart is a bit underpowered and that a better tranny is in the works.

I felt comfortable in the Dart. Granted I didn't get to abuse the hell out of her. 1. It had low gas, 2. I had a sales rep with me. I did throw it into manual mode, and give her a shot on shifting on my own terms.

The power felt modest. The Dart I drove had the 2.0L DOHC Engine, which advertises 160 HP/148 Lb-Ft of Torque. The only thing I don't like is how Dart advertises amazing fuel economy, but the Dart I drove advertises 24/34. Looking at the brochure, I'd guess I would need the 1.4L with the turbo for the impressive fuel economy, which probably comes at a cost. Or the powerhouse - 2.4L at 184 HP/171.

Whereas the Focus really has now two engine choices, which offers amazing fuel economy. The transmission on the Dart is from Korea, so who knows.

It's a huge improvement on Chrysler's part nonetheless. Ideally, I want to see all the big 3 succeed - It means jobs for workers here in this country, and others too like our neighbors north in Canada.

I can't wait honestly to see how Darts do in the market. Will they fail, will they hold up over time? That's the true test of a car :)

Not sure if I like that... :P

Too small for my likings.

Not sure if I like that... :P........Too small for my likings.

I feel the same way, I test drove the Dart - Rallye " middle-level trim " with the SOHC 1.4-liter turbocharged four borrowed from the Fiat 500 Abarth. That iron-block engine makes the same 160 hp as the base four but has a more entertaining 184 lb-ft of torque (versus the 2.0-liter’s 145 lb-ft)....It's a huge improvement from past Chrysler cars that were total crap,

but at the price point ( $19,790 ) you get a lot of goodies, but it was too small from me

The Yaris is car for people who don't like cars. They were junk the 1st day they were put on to the market. They all should be totaled, crushed, and made into Ford Tauruses, a much better car.

• Like 2

I got all the Japanese parts I need, thank you very much. They all fit under my good.

I knew I had seen this on Jalopnik before... forcing the perpetrators of car-related crime to drive around in a Pink Yaris of Shame. :ph34r:

http://jalopnik.com/5788826/commenter-of-the-day-jean-doumanian-edition

They should take my rental Yaris and paint that exact car pink. Because that is the worst configuration ever.

I wish they still rented out Geo Metros... I would rather take a Geo Metro over a Yaris.

you may get your wish in 2015

http://www.roadandtr...13-chrysler-100

Caught Testing: 2013 Chrysler 100 - Spy Shots

caught-testing-2013-chrysler-100-md.jpg

Wait... I know it's heavily camouflaged... But we all agree that that thing is hideous right?

I make it a point not to really bother judging those kind of pictures until a production car is on display to the public. Development mules can be very deceiving. The back end of that one isn't any different from the Alfa Romeo that it was based on, so clearly the purpose of that mule was to test internal parts like the powertrain and cooling system. I'll wait for a look at the production-spec Chrysler 100 to decide whether I like it.

The 2 door Yaris was significantly different from the 4 door version. Both were developed from the Echo, which also begat the original Scion xB and xA. Maybe the xD as well. All share the cheapness and center mounted gauges.

The Yaris is car for people who don't like cars. They were junk the 1st day they were put on to the market. They all should be totaled, crushed, and made into Ford Tauruses, a much better car.

No you can't do that, that steel is way to cheap to be used in a quality car.

• Like 1

With how cheap the Yaris feels. I think one Yaris can produce one fender for a Taurus :lol: