Hello fellow TSOC members. I'm just curious as to see where you see rust most on Taurii. For me, it's dog legs, rockers, and rear wheel wells. I just got my car back from the body shop on Monday after I got some rust in my drivers side rear wheel well cut out.

Hello fellow TSOC members. I'm just curious as to see where you see rust most on Taurii. For me, it's dog legs, rockers, and rear wheel wells. I just got my car back from the body shop on Monday after I got some rust in my drivers side rear wheel well cut out.

One of the first clues to look for.

Picture is from a for sale car on AutoTrader and I clipped it out.

I bought 2 used cars in 2011 and looked at a lot on Autotrader and Cars.com. You can see a lot of things in the pics.

-chart-

All you said are the common rot out points.

The rear subframe mounting points on older Gen 3s, and I guess with time, will come to Gen 4s too. This was also an issue on Gen 1s and 2s in your neck of the woods.

The rear strut mounts in the rear shelf rip through the sheet metal too (good pics on TCCA of struts poking through). That's a pretty bad place to rot through.

Pic of my wagon, half way through 13th NY year. Some rust starting on one dogleg.

Some under the inside edge of the doors, but I clean it each fall and spary that with primer to slow that down.

It has been outside it's whole life. 121K miles.

By contrase my first '02 Lin Cont bought new, after 9 winters had holes in rockers, over the rear wheels, and behind the rear bumper cover, metal basic gone. Traded it fall 2011 with 101K. It was garaged until it started to rust. Then left outside. Salt/ice falls off on the floor and makes a mess, adding to humidity in there and rusting everything else inside.

My take. Closed garage will make rust much worse.

-chart-

My dogleg continues to get worse and worse.

1594dw.jpg

Can you post pics of your fixes with rust, Issac? I'm curious. Price too if you don't mind.

Is that on the top of the dog leg? :icon_question: That's strange. My rust that I recently got fixed costed $300.00 on the nose to fix. I'll try and post a picture when I get home from school.

I forgot. Another place is right behind the coolant tank in the engine compartment, on the wheel well. Where it bolts down.

That is the top of the dogleg. It is right where the door closes. I imagine it will be costly to fix...now is yours warranteed? Usually a shop won't warranty anything rustwise since it almost always comes back.

My solution: buy used as free of rust as practical.

Keep it out of the garage.

This '03 101K miles.

Most of it's winters mid east PA, second winter in NY.

Just my experience.

-chart-

That is the top of the dogleg. It is right where the door closes. I imagine it will be costly to fix...now is yours warranteed? Usually a shop won't warranty anything rustwise since it almost always comes back.

They won't warranty it. I'm not too worried about it coming back for a while though. They cut out the metal where the rust was.

See pic. This was a clean car, driven 4 one mile trips last night.

It was outside at zero last night.

If it was in a garage, closed, this salt/ice would be on the floor and likely about freezing so rusting fast due to salt and high mumidity.

Outside the mess will be in the drive way and I will just shovel it away. Absolute minimum rusting at this temp.

In two more day it will be above freezing and I will hose it off.

Just my take.

-chart-

I've found that Rustoleum rusty metal primer brushed on liberally,then your choice of topcoat is about all you can do to combat rust setting in.Cleaning as much loose rust out as possible as you inspect helps greatly.I also like Rustmort (phosphoric acid) an additional primary step to the RRMP....