Sign in to follow this  
Spridget

Road & Track Magazine Is Dead

Last summer Road & Track was bought by Hearst Publishing, owners of Car and Driver. A new Editor-in-Chief was named. Practically the entire staff was fired and the headquarters were moved from California to Michigan. Since the magazines are written several months before print and delivery, it took a little while to notice the changes. I wondered why I didn't receive a February issue. When the March issue arrived last Friday I noticed it's labeled "February / March" and yet it's about 2/3 the material of a regular issue. All new writers instead of the style and tone I've come to appreciate from the old staff. I've maintained a subscription for 20 year. I cancelled my subscription yesterday.

Links to the news from Jalopnik

http://jalopnik.com/5921675/road--track-fires-almost-everyone

I sent them an email.

To whom it may concern,

It saddens me to inform you that I am cancelling my subscription after 20 years of readership. My mother bought my first Road & Track magazine while I was a freshman in high school during the early '90's. She recognized my automotive passion early on. I restored a 35 year old Morris Minor 1000 pickup in our garage at 16. That Christmas, she bought me a one year subscription. That same year, I was the first person in my group of friends to earn my driver's license and acquire an automobile. Every year since then, I have used my own money to maintain that subscription. During basic training in the Army, and even while I was deployed, Road & Track magazine was highly anticipated each month. While in college I found relief from a mountain of text books in my monthly copy of the magazine. Every time I found a new copy in my mailbox I was excited to dive in and learn about current and future models, exotic cars from around the world, industry trends, and in-depth technical data. I have a large collection of past issues which may as well go in the trash, as I won't be collecting anymore.

Larry Webster's introduction as Editor in Chief was a surprise, but I welcomed him. I read about the move from California to Michigan. None of this prepared me for the shock of the February / March 2013 issue. I wondered why I had not received a February issue. The Feb/Mar issue was noticeably light. As I read every page, as I always have, I immediately noticed that the Road & Track I fell in love with was dead. I signed into my online account and cancelled my subscription which was paid up through August 2015.

Road & Track is the only automotive magazine for which I have maintained a long term subscription. This is the only time I have sent correspondence to the magazine. I have developed a fondness for the editorial staff over the years. Dennis Simanaitis, Sam Mitani, Shaun Bailey, Patrick Hong, Jonathan Elfalan, Patrick Kim, Andrew Bornhop, Doug Kott, and of course Peter Egan will be greatly missed. I'm sorry Mr. Egan, but your entertaining articles are not solely enough to keep my readership. I apologize if I am forgetting anyone. I believe Hearst Publishing and Larry Webster have killed a respected resource for automotive enthusiasts. While I also like many of the editors and articles in Car and Driver, I will not subscribe to another Hearst magazine.

Majorly disappointed,

(name / addy / phone #)

Sad to see such a great magazine fall into the pits like this. :(

Edited by Roach

I cancelled my subscriptions for Road & Track, Motor Trend, Car & Driver, and Automobile years ago...

I agree! I like car and driver much more even though it's now the same company.

Sad... What to read in the service department waiting rooms?

I read Hemmings Muscle Machines and Auto Restorer. That's it.

Someone gifted me a Motor Trend subscription, but not really my thing.

Sad... What to read in the service department waiting rooms?

Maxim? :ph34r:

Who reads when there is usually a flat screen with cable.

True. I guess it's just a sad fact of technologic progression. Publishers are losing money on print material to digital content.

Best wating arragement was the dealer where I bought my '02 Lin Cont used in 2011.

Honda dealer.

They had 3 waiting areas. One with big screen and magazines. Adjacent in glass walled room closed for quiet, row of computers. And open area with vending machines and another TV. Then in the show room they had round tables somewhat high you could stand at or sit on bar stools. That is not really a waiting room but nice place. They have a greeter as you go in, and phone to page your sales person. Greeter was not only pleasant, but not half bad to the eye!

Our local Ford dealer has a small room with a few well used mag and couple computers, really slow and old, do it yourself one cup coffee maker, and no A/C. I would only go there if I have to. Grumpy, not well dressed, dirty area at the service desk.

Some places are in business, others do not have a clue.

-chart-

Wickstrom Ford Mercury Lincoln near me has the nicest showroom and service reception area that I've seen anywhere- except for the local Lexus dealership. That place has a coffee and juice *bar* inside for visitors... plus a gift shop. :blink: