I've had Tori the Toredor Taurus for 5 glorious years out of her 14 year life. She still drives nicely but there seems to be a lot of front end suspension issues developing. Two years ago it was the electrical components that were giving me troubles (new alternator, starter...). It is also getting close to the time for new tires.

I've been looking at eventually replacing it with possibly a Focus but the 2012's are still a little bit too much for my frugal tastes. Even the 2008-2011 Focuses are around $11000 at the cheapest and I'm really not crazy about the styling/power. Kind of feels like you are driving a golf cart. The good thing though is I could get one with Sync...

I've also been looking at 2008 and up Fusions (the ones that had Sync available). Again, kind of expensive.

Then just for kicks I was looking at 2006-2007 Tauruses and I found this beauty at a local car lot.

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Ford/Taurus/ST%20CATHARINES/Ontario/5_14955516_ON20071219111128914/?showcpo=ShowCPO

Sure it's seafoam green, but it's immaculate inside and out. There's barely a crease in the driver's leather seat!

Am I crazy to want this car? When I think about it, this 2007 Taurus is the last in a line of cars that had existed since 1986! Same engine and a lot of the same components too! But, that also means they had 20 years to get the bugs worked out... The Vulcan is a good engine, but it's pretty wussy and the mileage isn't that great and it will probably develop a lot of coolant system crud.

The rest of the car is pretty basic too as far as technology goes. The fanciest thing on it is the information centre...

But that price tag and low mileage is just calling my name! And that would help make up the difference in gas mileage between this and a newer car...

Thoughts, opinions?

That is a gorgeous car... and with only 52,000 miles (85,000km), it is just getting broken in. It definitely looks to be in great condition, and it is probably one of the most loaded up 07s I have seen. Forgot you guys up north got better spec'd later bulls since they all were not sold to fleets!

It has a vulcan, which is what you are used to. Easy to maintain, and parts are everywhere. This will cost more than upgrading your suspension in the jellybean, but it is an investment.. as any new to you car is. And it is a gamble. But it is certainly worth a look.

The newer vulcans switched to G-05 Coolant, its supposed to go 100k miles. So if you stay to your regular 30-45k coolant changes, I highly doubt it would suffer from any cooling issues.

Since Its a 2007 I believe it was a fleet car. Correct me if i am wrong but werent all 2007s fleet cars only, the 500 (Five Hundred) had arrived by then for consumers.

all 2007's were MFD in 2006 for the fleet market, that means it was either a rental car, a company car, a state vehicle, a county vehicle, a town vehicle, etc.

I don't think you are crazy at all, every car reaches a point where it is no longer cost effective to keep. If you can fix the gen 3 for cheap enough (doing the work yourself, etc.) Then it might be worth fixing, car payments suck. But that 07 sure is nice, would be a nice upgrade that should last you a good long while. Our 07 has had no issues since we bought it 3 years ago. It was totalled twice and any issues we had were due to the accident (transmission cooler line snapped and exhaust fell off)

Whats wrong with seafoam green??

And Im with the people on this one, your not crazy, and may have a soft spot for taurii. Hell, Caine had a few issues whe i got him, but until recently, he hasnt required a ton of work. Sure an engine, but that was due to carelessness. Ive treated it well since then, and he hasnt given me any problems.

$had3 :ford::merc::Shady_J:

That car would make a fine upgrade. :) You might as well get a Carfax report for it using the VIN, but MY2007's were all fleet cars. 2006 was the very last model year of retail availability for the Taurus (on both sides of the border) because of the Fusion and Five Hundred that replaced it... briefly. :P

Yah you honestly can't go wrong, it looks like it has every option too, EATC, homelink, Moonroof, leather, Autodim mirror, Mach audio, etc...

Thanks guys. Somehow I didn't think you'd tell me NOT to get this car, lol.

I think TaurusDailyDriver is right though. They did sell 07's to non fleet buyers in Canada, BUT, I think I read that if it's a 07 SEL then it was probably a fleet car. They used them as rentals and company cars for big corporations. SEs were only available to the general public.

I've noticed quite the difference between the US and Canadian rental car markets. Here it seems like most rentals are the higher trims and in the US most rentals are the basic trims. I talked to a salesman at a dealership about it when my mom bought her Escape and he told me that Ford offers low mileage leases to rental car companies and that at the end of a year/so many kms, they take them back. Then the Ford dealers are given first right of refusal before any finally end up at the open auction. It makes sense that people in the used car market are looking for nicer cars too, not just the base models.

I also think I've read that used cars are a LOT more popular in Canada than USA. But I have no reservations about buying a former fleet car. My family has had 4 former Ford rentals so far and no problems whatsoever.

Back to this car, I actually don't mind the Seafoam green on it. I hate Seafoam on the '12 Focus and '13 Escape, but I don't mind it on the Taurus...

I'm not quite at the point where I'm ready to buy, but I have to get both my lower ball joints on Tori replaced and I was quoted at $420 (probably $500 after taxes) and as I've read here, that's not really something I could manage in my driveway...

Add tires to that and it's another $500. There's also a SES light on for an oxygen sensor (haven't had that diagnosed yet) so who knows what that might cost.

I also like how it has the cassette deck so I can continue using my cassette adapter with my Ipod ;) I think I have lots of time though as if you look closely at the pictures the trees have green leaves on them and it looks like the middle summer. Don't have to worry about someone snapping it up!

My ONLY reservation about this car would be the car lot... It's one of those no name street corner used car lots and I'm always weary of those places.

One last thing, no one has yet commented on the price. Seem fair?

So 52816.6 miles, that i could see being up over 7.5 grand.

And im not sure about you but i love corner car lots. Can usually get a leg up on the guy if you tell him all about the car, and the cool thigns you learned to do to it, etc, youve had a few of them, know them well and what makes them tick. to the salesguy, it makes you appear a confident informed buyer, thus he cant pull any fast ones on ya. "outsmart the dealer" kind of.

My dealer when i bought caine hardly knew a thing about Taurii. thats what got my car down from 3500 bucks to 2750 before tax, title and license fees and s**t were added on.

Can usually hustle people like that if it comes to it

$had3 :ford::merc::Shady_J:

Thanks guys. Somehow I didn't think you'd tell me NOT to get this car, lol.

I think TaurusDailyDriver is right though. They did sell 07's to non fleet buyers in Canada, BUT, I think I read that if it's a 07 SEL then it was probably a fleet car. They used them as rentals and company cars for big corporations. SEs were only available to the general public.

I've noticed quite the difference between the US and Canadian rental car markets. Here it seems like most rentals are the higher trims and in the US most rentals are the basic trims. I talked to a salesman at a dealership about it when my mom bought her Escape and he told me that Ford offers low mileage leases to rental car companies and that at the end of a year/so many kms, they take them back. Then the Ford dealers are given first right of refusal before any finally end up at the open auction. It makes sense that people in the used car market are looking for nicer cars too, not just the base models.

I also think I've read that used cars are a LOT more popular in Canada than USA. But I have no reservations about buying a former fleet car. My family has had 4 former Ford rentals so far and no problems whatsoever.

Back to this car, I actually don't mind the Seafoam green on it. I hate Seafoam on the '12 Focus and '13 Escape, but I don't mind it on the Taurus...

I'm not quite at the point where I'm ready to buy, but I have to get both my lower ball joints on Tori replaced and I was quoted at $420 (probably $500 after taxes) and as I've read here, that's not really something I could manage in my driveway...

Add tires to that and it's another $500. There's also a SES light on for an oxygen sensor (haven't had that diagnosed yet) so who knows what that might cost.

I also like how it has the cassette deck so I can continue using my cassette adapter with my Ipod ;) I think I have lots of time though as if you look closely at the pictures the trees have green leaves on them and it looks like the middle summer. Don't have to worry about someone snapping it up!

My ONLY reservation about this car would be the car lot... It's one of those no name street corner used car lots and I'm always weary of those places.

One last thing, no one has yet commented on the price. Seem fair?

Fair is what the market will take.

And somtimes you can compare and tell which dealers are not selling cars, but low end bankers. See the pic attached.

When I bought my '03 Sable it was on a lot but being sold for a repro. Price fixed. Well below the one we went to see on that lot.

-chart-

I would have no qualms with picking up a car that looks that nice. If it drives as nice as it looks, has the proper maintenance records...I would throw $7,000 US on it in a heartbeat. Cash. It'll last you another 10 years easy.

That car would not last longer than a few days on a lot in the US.

• Like 2

I'm with the others on this one...that Bull would be an awesome upgrade!!!

That's a awesome green. At first I was thinking of this green which I don't like.

carphotos020.jpg

I thought i would stick with a taurus forever, then i found my current car (the eclipse) and i felt a connection...that the car had more potential than my old car for logevity (the sable had 179k on it, the eclipse is right at 110,001k on the clock, same model year and month of assembly 03/2003 in Normal IL vs 03/03 in Chicago IL) as well as the fact that it will save me money on gas in the long run.

If you feel the Green Taurus is a good fit, and you have the means to...do it. The Gen 4 is a decent upgrade to a Gen 3, it will have less issues going on with it due to age, it will probably need less maintence in the long run.

I thought i would stick with a taurus forever, then i found my current car (the eclipse) and i felt a connection...that the car had more potential than my old car for logevity (the sable had 179k on it, the eclipse is right at 110,001k on the clock, same model year and month of assembly 03/2003 in Normal IL vs 03/03 in Chicago IL) as well as the fact that it will save me money on gas in the long run.

If you feel the Green Taurus is a good fit, and you have the means to...do it. The Gen 4 is a decent upgrade to a Gen 3, it will have less issues going on with it due to age, it will probably need less maintence in the long run.

Well because the mileage is so low I think I could get it and keep pretty good care of it and keep up with the maintenance. As I said, I got my car when it was already like 8 years old and had 170000kms on it.

My car stays garaged and waxed twice a year. I also keep up with routine maintenance which I think has really gone a long way for it still running great today. It just seems that as the car gets up there in years, everything needs to be replaced!

Welcome to owning a disposable car.

I think Ford stated they wanted a Taurus to last 10 years or 150K miles.

Hopefully you can make a deal on that car. Looks like a great find.

I'd definitely at least go down and check it out. That thing is just getting broken in. Plus, you already know all about the Taurii so why not stay with it? I also like that green, and the fact that the interior looks almost identical to mine! Only difference is the cluster bezel is black compared to mine which is metallic gray.