Coreyp

Wtb-96-99 Sho Imrc Control

I was changing the spark plugs on the car today when I discovered the cable coming from the control is frayed and only held together by a few strands.I checked the parts stores with no luck and the dealer lists it at $231 :o.Also if not to much more I need the engine cover as well.mine has two of the mounting hole broken out.

Dealers have long been out of them. Total Un-Obtanuim.

Two easy choices - Wire the secondaries open permanently or get a box off a SLO 24v Duratec. Two out of three mounting bolts on the SLO box should fit your SHO bracket. The cables are different length overall but the ends are the same. Electric is a perfect match.

get a box off a SLO 24v Duratec. Two out of three mounting bolts on the SLO box should fit your SHO bracket. The cables are different length overall but the ends are the same. Electric is a perfect match.

so minus the cable, this should be a direct swap/plug n play?

$had3 :ford::merc::Shady_J:

Actually a SHO in my yard has a IMRC box with the cable in perfect condition. I will grab it when I go back on the 8th.... Any advice on how to get it out? I tried to yesterday but only spent a minute. Didn't feel like wasting time on it. Going to get the front bumper cover if its still there when I go back.

I have 1 good used IMRC left I belive. Before you use a Duratec one I would read up on the V8 site.

Leaving the cover off may not look as pretty, but it will let the coils not absorb as much heat up front. Just like the plastic battery shield. Leave it off unless you're at shows :)

Wire the secondaries open. The IMRC box can fail at the connection point on the secondaries, or the cable can break internally on the IMRC under the cover held down with screws and silicone.

There is one at u pull out here I was going to pull it but ran out of time.. if I make it there before they junk the car I do plan to grab it.

so minus the cable, this should be a direct swap/plug n play?

$had3 :ford::merc::Shady_J:

No. It is still a direct swap, the ENDS of the cable are the same, it is just the length of the cable is longer on the Duratec. When compared side by side, the part that actually snaps into the support bracket to the actual cable end is the same distance and works perfectly.

It IS a plug and play swap, just one mounting bolt may not fit.

Getting it out - No big deal, 3 10mm bolts hold the bracket to the front valve cover. Plug has a clip on the bottom, push up, sometimes it helps to push the plug INWARDS to help loosen it. Sometimes the plugs can be very tight.

Cable end has a clip on the linkage which is best gently pushed off with a long flatblade screwdriver. The cable into bracket clip is a "V" clip design, both ears need to be compressed to let the "V" slip backwards out of the hole.

One more thought - Usually, the cable breaks because the secondaries are all gunked up. Installing another box on dirty secondaries is just a death sentence to the new box. If you are not able to disassemble and clean the upper intake and secondaries, I'd advice just wiring them open until you can clean house. It takes me about 4 hours and 6 to 8 cans of Berryman's B12 Chemtool to get the upper intakes and secondaries completely cleaned and reassembled, FWIW.

I did have to take the intake off,to change the back 4 spark plugs.I used de-greaser and a bottle brush and scrubbed down inside all the secondaries,I also cleaned all the linkages.It seems to move freely now.I also de-greased the whole upper intake and it turned out pretty good.You can PM if you got one you want to sell if not I can just wire them open till I find one.

Good to hear you've been cleaned already.

No, I don't have any spares and others have me looking for them already - I was just begging for one out of a JY myself not too long ago -

http://www.taurusowners.com/topic/4378-my-junkyard-find-97-sho/#entry58992

No. It is still a direct swap, the ENDS of the cable are the same, it is just the length of the cable is longer on the Duratec. When compared side by side, the part that actually snaps into the support bracket to the actual cable end is the same distance and works perfectly.

It IS a plug and play swap, just one mounting bolt may not fit.

Getting it out - No big deal, 3 10mm bolts hold the bracket to the front valve cover. Plug has a clip on the bottom, push up, sometimes it helps to push the plug INWARDS to help loosen it. Sometimes the plugs can be very tight.

Cable end has a clip on the linkage which is best gently pushed off with a long flatblade screwdriver. The cable into bracket clip is a "V" clip design, both ears need to be compressed to let the "V" slip backwards out of the hole.

One more thought - Usually, the cable breaks because the secondaries are all gunked up. Installing another box on dirty secondaries is just a death sentence to the new box. If you are not able to disassemble and clean the upper intake and secondaries, I'd advice just wiring them open until you can clean house. It takes me about 4 hours and 6 to 8 cans of Berryman's B12 Chemtool to get the upper intakes and secondaries completely cleaned and reassembled, FWIW.

For what it is worth.

See pic, this is off a JY car with lots of sludge.

Cleaned with acetone and a rag plus an old tooth brush. I used a rag so as to not get solvent in the ball bearings the shaft rides on on each end. Just wet the rag and wipe.

I do not like the idea of getting aresols in the ball bearings.

I cleaned my '01 and '03 on the car using the same thing, only takes a few minutes.

Just my experience.

-chart-