Bull Geek

Bull Geek's Former 1997 Ford Taurus Sho - Sold To Thub -

ba1eb5216add2bbe227bb4cb08f3a28c_zps37a00de4.jpg

:ph34r:

You got a re-designed Ford cap to go with that?

Is sucks to have a OEM cap puke coolant all over the place.

Like my Lin.

Both my Sables have the OEM cap.

Tempting fate.

-chart-

Yup I bought a new cap a couple of months ago. From Ford.

I have a Vulcan coolant tank in the SHO right now. Idiot prior shop for prior owner installed it. Morons.

That's odd. I priced a new overflow from Advance and Autozona, the Vulcan tank was more expensive.

Thats the Duratec tank pictured Correct? If so thats odd that it has the no orange coolant sticker, ford began putting the G-05 in duratecs in 03 I thought, that tank must be a few years old. When my tank was replaced the shop that did it had no trouble sourcing a OEM ford tank for my car, but it too had the no orange coolant sticker on it. My moms escape "duratec" was factory fill with G-05 and lacks any sticker showing no orange or yellow coolant.

I guess its just odd that they would make new tanks with the sticker on them when they had converted those engines to using the gold coolant anyway. Unless they were warning against GM garbage Dexcool, but that doesn't explain why the 03 escape lacks the sticker on a duratec.

Yea not sure what to say there. I use Green in my 2000, 1997 and 1987. Weird. The part # for the DOHC tank is from a 2003 revision.

So since the radiator tank overflow bottle failure I reported last...(I reinstalled the Vulcan tank until the DOHC tank shows up from Brian), I installed the 26mm rear sway bar in the SHO, replaced the fuel filter, and the cabin air filter. Both of these items had been replaced in recent time and were in decent shape. No nastiness came out of the SHO filter, fuel still looked clean, so that's good. Cabin air filter was dirty but not packed.

Took it for a drive after all this work, and WOW. going from a 19mm rear bar to a 26mm rear bar makes a difference! Car drives much better. Am very satisfied.

I thought for a moment how nice it was to have the important stuff working. Was at the Sonic drive-thru to get dinner, mistakenly hit moonroof open button in line. Hit the Close button quickly (was aiming for map light button). Moonroof stopped. Hit the close button again and the motor went to a fast click click click with lights flickering. Uh oh. Tried to open. Same click click click with lights flickering during the click. No moonroof movement. Tried pulling and pushing. With and without pushing the button. Nada. Motor just goes clic click click.

So the moonroof now sits like this:

post-13-0-11499900-1361764287_thumb.jpg

You want the green antifreeze. The orange stuff is very bad for the aluminum V8 SHO's. Don;t use it.

Moonroof. I got 2 complete V8 SHO roofs from cars I cut up. What parts do you want/need?

Woops I never followed up on this thread. I definitely use green coolant!

I got the moonroof fixed :) Thanks for the offer. I may buy a track and motor setup as a spare someday.

The car has been driven quite a bit lately. It's been my 'gas sucking' daily driver for the past week and will continue daily driver duties for the next week or two.

The car is a hoot to drive. Does not leak any fluids on the ground. It does seem to be weeping oil out somewhere dripping onto the exhaust.

I dropped Sean T off at the airport a few days ago. The curb attendant came up and started asking me about the car. He loved the sound.

Since it's been treating me well finally, I treated the car to a bath...and then waxed it. Put some tire gel on too.

Followed up with compounding, polishing and waxing the headlights. They aren't perfect, but I give them a B for being 16 years old and nearly 150,000. 23MPG for around town, hooning/highway mileage really is not bad at all!

Pix...

post-13-0-45799200-1362970687_thumb.jpeg

post-13-0-80693200-1362970695_thumb.jpeg

post-13-0-68087900-1362970707_thumb.jpeg

post-13-0-40472100-1362970718_thumb.jpeg

Extra nice. And you got some '98 turn signals in the front.

Oh YA! I installed those too, forgot. Thanks to Mr. Sean T for those :D

You want the green antifreeze. The orange stuff is very bad for the aluminum V8 SHO's. Don;t use it.

Moonroof. I got 2 complete V8 SHO roofs from cars I cut up. What parts do you want/need?

My Lin Cont owners guide, said NO ORANGE coolant.

Green if it came with green, yellow if it came with yellow.

But NO to orange.

there must be a reason.

-chart-

It really is a hoot to drive!!!!!

NICK!!! Those headlights look great!!!!!

I haven't even posted what's happened with this car in a long while.

We're up to 153K miles at the moment. Very very minute coolant weep from the oil cooler where a coolant hose goes, not a big deal. It has had one oil change. Crank seal or oil pan over cat weeps. I assume that's where the engine oil is going that it uses, cause the pipes don't show any oil out the back. Minute power steering leak from pressure hose at pump. Again leaving it alone, not bad at all yet. Do have a new coolant tank w/low level sensor to install (already have new Ford cap).

Suspension wise, still have the strut bearings/mounts in front to address, and lower control arm bushings that are hidden inside subframe that are visibly cracked and split. Fixing these should get rid of the clunks/knocks/squeaks since it has new and tight endlinks.

Interior - I have a brand new radio coming in the mail. Hopefully will address the mirrored backlighting in the display. Scored a CD changer from a 97 for the trunk to replace non existent one - trunk is still bone dry after fixing leaks. Scored a nice condition carpet at the yard that needs to be scrubbed and cleaned (smells like crap, but otherwise great shape, no rips/tears/burns). All that's left is to find a 1996-1998 power passenger seat track with switch,1996 lumbar bag with switch, 96 headrests, and a 96-7 gray center console with non ripped vinyl. Have an auto dim mirror to install too.

Driver seat was bent on right shoulder back. Had support on left shoulder but had to tweak/lean to the right to get right shoulder support. Tore seat apart. Thought seat frame was bent - wrong. The foam has a metal structure inside of it that is bent. So man handled it and bent the metal structure inside the foam back into shape, it's 80% there now. Hunt continues for replacement at yard from passenger seat or something. Also replaced the power seat track with one from a junkyard SHO.

Finally, I had the front/rear bumpers painted, as well as my power fold mirrors (not installed atm), rocker moldings, and a new spoiler (old one was cracked) back in May. Headlights were wet sanded and look great now. Had the front plate holder removed and holes filled. Do have a silver new SHO badge to slap on the back. Will be seeking michakaveli's services and having it professionally detailed in near future.

post-13-0-80459500-1376319847_thumb.jpeg

post-13-0-23317300-1376319854_thumb.jpeg

post-13-0-89175900-1376319865_thumb.jpeg

post-13-0-01712200-1376319885_thumb.jpg

Mmmm, looks pretty good. And using a pressure washer seems to get interior parts super clean, I'm impressed with what mine did with my backseat to the Thunderbird which didn't smell all that pleasant :P

Yea I need to pressure wash the carpet. I put the driver seat from the SHO in the washing machine last night. It came out OK. let it air dry. Turned out OK.

The old carpet is getting throw away. Dried up baby yak, resins and other junk on the floor. Plus its ripped in a few spots. Shame really, cause the carpet itself is in nice shape.

Nahhhh no need to power wash the carpet. Just give it the Michigan treatment. Wait till it soaks through from the rust holes in the floor, then pull it out and leave it on the back deck for a full day of thunderstoms, and voila! Clean...ish.

• Like 2

Nahhhh no need to power wash the carpet. Just give it the Michigan treatment. Wait till it soaks through from the rust holes in the floor, then pull it out and leave it on the back deck for a full day of thunderstoms, and voila! Clean...ish.

This should go in Solutions to Common Problems!!!

lol

• Like 2

Send me one of those wheels. The boy was driving the Chestnut Taurus a while back and didn't realize he had a flat. I don't know if he ruined the tire or not. Just want to be prepared.

The curb I hit...that wheel has a curbed lip. Wheel face is fine. Txt me if you want it...we'll work a deal.

nice SHO :)

So SHO has new front strut mounts, strut bearings, lower control arm bushings, and rear subframe bushings for up front.  Steering is tighter, hardly any extra NVH.

Believe the front struts are the source of the pattering/knocking/clunking sound (sounds exactly like my 2000 before the complete rebuild).  At $250+ a corner (if you can even find them!), not going to be running out for struts anytime soon.   Not a loud noise but w/e.

Next up...lower intake w/clean butterflies, IMRC reinstall, new coolant tank (has a Vulcan one atm), new thermostat (PM), cluster bezel from 99, power passenger seat w/lumbar install, new carpet install, rear taillight applique install, auto dim mirror with compass and get michakaveli to detail the heck outa it!  If I find a good hood not hail dented, I'd like to grab that too.

Nick:

Nice to see some pics.

Restoring/keeping some history is different that some of us just keeping workhorse transpors on the road till they die.

-chart-

Nick:

Nice to see some pics.

Restoring/keeping some history is different that some of us just keeping workhorse transpors on the road till they die.

-chart-

Thanks for the note Chart.

This car really does not have one ounce of oomph down low.  My Duratec pulls away from a stop and gets going much quicker.  Not sure how people with wired open secondaries can put up with this (that's what it has at the moment). 

It took a trip up to Knoxville and back this past weekend.  It did OK.  Certainly handles/steers well.  But it was doing a lot of downshifting to get up hills that my DOHC never downshifted for.  It needs more low end power.  I followed michakaveli in his '11 Taurus.

Going to try and swap in a working and clean set of secondaries and reinstall the IMRC box on Friday after work and see if that fixes the gutless off the line performance.  When the tach hits 3400RPM, the beast wakes up and off you go.  The Duratec has decent tip in/low end power, and wakes up only a little more once you hit a similar RPM.

Thanks for the note Chart.

This car really does not have one ounce of oomph down low. My Duratec pulls away from a stop and gets going much quicker. Not sure how people with wired open secondaries can put up with this (that's what it has at the moment).

It took a trip up to Knoxville and back this past weekend. It did OK. Certainly handles/steers well. But it was doing a lot of downshifting to get up hills that my DOHC never downshifted for. It needs more low end power. I followed michakaveli in his '11 Taurus.

Going to try and swap in a working and clean set of secondaries and reinstall the IMRC box on Friday after work and see if that fixes the gutless off the line performance. When the tach hits 3400RPM, the beast wakes up and off you go. The Duratec has decent tip in/low end power, and wakes up only a little more once you hit a similar RPM.

It's never ever going to pull like it does after 3000 rpm, but with a functional IMRC system I put around town at 50 at 1600 rpm without it feeling gutless.

I ain't looking for 'light 'em up performance off the line, but it really is a dog from a stop, esp pulling into traffic.

I hope the one on my SHO is a functional IMRC box - those are hard to come by from a SHO that are still in good shape.

I ain't looking for 'light 'em up performance off the line, but it really is a dog from a stop, esp pulling into traffic.

I hope the one on my SHO is a functional IMRC box - those are hard to come by from a SHO that are still in good shape.

SHOengine_zpscc83865c.jpg

I'm going to the JY today, if this is still there, and if it is the right one, I might be able to get it.

If so where is it, maybe a pic.

if, if, if etc.

-chart-