Bull Geek

Bull Geek's Former 1997 Ford Taurus Sho - Sold To Thub -

Its not too much NVH, but enough to make the car feel much more alive, the difference in engine responsiveness is worth the added vibration. Especially coming from worn out mounts, the car would shake from 45-55mph when I was on the throttle accelerating.

Got the radiator installed, trans cooler rigged onto the brackets for the PS cooler. Oil cooler reinstalled and FL-400S installed on it. Coolant hoses all reinstalled, trans lined all reinstalled except for those going to the new cooler. I need to extend them.

Then got both endlinks off. FACTORY ones with 149K miles. Surprised. They were well beyond trashed. Goal tomorrow is to swap out the sway bars and reinstall the trans lines with some barbed fittings.

• Like 1

Got the trans cooler lines hooked and extended. I bet the rad lines will leak. I have no faith in those connections in the rad with the Made in China radiator. Installed a new Ford DOHC coolant jug I bought 5 years ago off of eBay cheap. The idiot shop that worked on this car before installed a new Vulcan one.

Then I moved on to the sway bar up front. What a pain in the butt job I wish to not repeat. 24mm 1st Gen SHO bar is bolted down with new Moog bushings.

Tomorrow will be hooking up end links, draining old oil, filling with fresh oil, filling with fresh coolant, and fresh ATF for the power steering and probably a quart or two more due to the additional trans cooler. And we'll see where it leaks!

post-13-0-78868600-1361338818_thumb.jpg

post-13-0-94686900-1361338819_thumb.jpg

post-13-0-90532500-1361338820_thumb.jpg

Got the radiator installed, trans cooler rigged onto the brackets for the PS cooler. Oil cooler reinstalled and FL-400S installed on it. Coolant hoses all reinstalled, trans lined all reinstalled except for those going to the new cooler. I need to extend them.

Then got both endlinks off. FACTORY ones with 149K miles. Surprised. They were well beyond trashed. Goal tomorrow is to swap out the sway bars and reinstall the trans lines with some barbed fittings.

I have had 8 Ford prod with the white plastic links.Have not had one loose yet, but never kept one to ~150K. I had all my Gen 1 fail by ~100K or less.

Daughter's Buick terraza fail really badly just after the 36K warrenty. I helped change them and they on these the ball was about the size of a pencil eraser. And that vehicle by title weight was ~1,000 # heavier than my Lincoln.

And between that and brake pads that did not fit, and replacements that did not fit, and rear hubs that were "clunky loose" and replaced under warrenty, and the front hub replaced twice under warrenty, well, makes Ford look really good. And then a 3.5L pushrod engine that pushed to the limit to keep up on the highway.

But in fairness, it would keep up downhill. :pat:

It is all relative.

-chart-

Why FL-400 instead of FL1A? Drain back valve?

Why FL-400 instead of FL1A? Drain back valve?

The owner's manual says FL-400 to use.

Should I be using the FL1A?

GM quality is an oxymoron Chart :)

• Like 2

FL1A fits and holds almost double the capacity. Not sure if they have drain back valves or if they are even that important. It's a common "mod" for the V8 SHO.

FL1A fits and holds almost double the capacity. Not sure if they have drain back valves or if they are even that important. It's a common "mod" for the V8 SHO.

In addition to the filtering, oil filters have 2 valves. One prevents drainback of oil to the pan when the engine is not running, such that it gets oil pressure at once when started, not "after while".

The other valve is bypass and it lets the oil bypass the filter if the element gets completly plugged. Thus you still get some oil.

Filters are matched to the use. Ford fortunately uses a small number of types that cover a lot of engines.

I have 3 cars and all use the same filter.

Some engines are prone to drainback noise. The Lincoln Intech is one. After about thousand miles on a plain valve filter, it is slow to pickup and you can hear it. The "S" Motorcraft never looses it prime in my experience with the last 2 Lins.

-chart-

I know what I'm buying for my next oil change. Thanks Luke!!! Already filled the 400 up with oil and installed, otherwise would have saved the 400 for the wagon and bought a 1A

I know what I'm buying for my next oil change. Thanks Luke!!! Already filled the 400 up with oil and installed, otherwise would have saved the 400 for the wagon and bought a 1A

Listing

http://www.ilma.org/resources/chart_oil_recommendations.pdf

Note, 1A not listed after '97 year modl. Largely a discontinued design no silicone valve.

The extra size does not mean more filter media sq in. Just more dead oil storage.

Just my op.

From the chart, it can be noted, Ford does not a lot of different sizes for the herd.

No real reason for many sizes and lots of XXXXX numbers.

-chart-

It was my understanding that the FL1A does not contain the silicone drain back. The primary reason for using one was the added capacity.

Drip drip drip. Why is coolant dripping on my shoe while filling the car up with coolant before starting it?

Son of a. Coolant leaking from between plastic end tank and aluminum rad bent over tab. *insert 7 Carlin words I was yelling*

Got the rad out in 15 minutes, back to Advance Auto with it. Will try a Spectra Premium/AutoZone or a NAPA one tomorrow. And some free coolant hopefully.

• Like 1

It was my understanding that the FL1A does not contain the silicone drain back. The primary reason for using one was the added capacity.

Depends on the meaning of "capacity". It is in a larger can.

Over the years they have made a more compact design with the same flow/filtering.

Back in the day, there was lots of room under there for a big can.

-chart-

Drip drip drip. Why is coolant dripping on my shoe while filling the car up with coolant before starting it?

Son of a. Coolant leaking from between plastic end tank and aluminum rad bent over tab. *insert 7 Carlin words I was yelling*

Got the rad out in 15 minutes, back to Advance Auto with it. Will try a Spectra Premium/AutoZone or a NAPA one tomorrow. And some free coolant hopefully.

:mad: That sucks.

New rad installed from AutoZone. made in CANADA :)

GOt all hooked up and tanked up. And I hear a HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSS under the hood. It's my new overflow tank I bought off of eBay 5 years ago. the nipple for the radiator had split. nice! I want a Duratec/SHO overflow tank so I have the low coolant light. Once I replace that all should be well. No leaks under the car :)

GOt all hooked up and tanked up. And I hear a HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSS under the hood. It's my new overflow tank I bought off of eBay 5 years ago. the nipple for the radiator had split. nice! I want a Duratec/SHO overflow tank so I have the low coolant light. Once I replace that all should be well. No leaks under the car :)

Borat_Great_Success.jpg

Glad to hear about your victory in the battle of the leaky radiators.

The original rad in my wagon was replaced in 2007 with a three core Chinese one I picked up at Orilleys back when it was Checker. Was just fine till recently, noticed green drips forming at the ends of the plastic tanks. So that's another thing I have to take care of by this spring.

I've been meaning to ask you about a heavy duty rad from Spectra? You had mentioned it not too long ago I think. Don't quite remember and can't seem to find the post. Anyways, any chance you'd be able to repost that info? :)

All my radiators have been Spectra Premium from AutoZone...never had a leak.

Oh didn't realize they were available from autozone. Went on the Spectra site and found out that I need the CU891 w/ac. Autozone stocks the CU890 but not the CU891. Hope it does not take to long to get.

I installed a Max Cool/Max AC big radiator from Vista-Pro from Advance Auto. RockAuto sells it. Nice thick radiator, it does well. Car runs nice and cool! If I ever have to replace it, and if Vista-Pro is unavailable, Ill get the Spectra Premium one.

Can't say because the overflow bottle doesn't hold pressure so I get a false reading. Not driving til I fix that.