Brian_05_SEL

How-To: Adding Autolamps To A 2004-2007 Taurus/sable

Well, here's my finalized writeup on how to add Autolamps to a Gen 4.5 SJB. Unless someone can correct me on this, I believe this is the first post-2003 Gen 4 model to have Autolamps retrofitted to the existing wiring. There are four different 04-07 SJB's available- no RKE/no DRL, no RKE/with DRL, with RKE/no DRL, and with RKE/with DRL. I have the version listed in bold; per my local Ford dealer parts dept., all of them are internally prewired to accept the upgrade to Autolamps. Before I begin the write-up, a huge thanks must go to Jerzy (TaurusExpedition83), and Kevin (TaurusKev) for their invaluable help in getting this project done quickly and relatively painless. It will always amaze me how we can get complicated mods (i.e. wiring) done when there are enough sets of hands to take care of all the work involved. What a load off my mind to know that the time and energy we each put into this has paid off.

Disclaimer- I provide this write-up without any implied guarantees that doing this work is safe (or smart, for that matter). Use of this write-up to modify your car is to be done at your own risk. You are advised to take all necessary precautions, such as disconnecting the battery first, to avoid being horribly electrocuted. Enjoy!

Per Mitchell OnDemand, these are the necessary connections:

For cars w/ EATC-

wire from plug C287, pin 1 (Sunload Sensor) -> plug C228, pin 22 (Remote Climate Control Module)

*Connecting this set of components is only necessary on EATC-equipped cars*

plug C287, pin 2 (Sunload Sensor) -> plug C2280E, pin 14 (Smart Junction Box)

plug C205A, pin 7 (Headlamp Switch) -> plug C2280E, pin 5 (Smart Junction Box)

plug C287, pin 5 (Sunload Sensor) -> G200 (grounding point behind the center dash)

For cars w/ manual HVAC-

plug C287, pin 2 (Sunload Sensor) -> plug C2280E, pin 14 (Smart Junction Box)

plug C205A, pin 7 (Headlamp Switch) -> plug C2280E, pin 5 (Smart Junction Box)

plug C287, pin 5 (Sunload Sensor) -> G200 (grounding point behind the center dash)

The procedure in bold is the way I did this mod. The parts needed are as follows:

- Sunload sensor w/ appropriate-colored defroster grille for mounting, sunload plug C287 (you must take this plug along with the sensor)

- Headlamp switch w/ Autolamp setting (Look for a Gen 4 Taurus SEL or Sable LS)

- approx. 15-20 ft of 16-20 GA wire (you may need less, but get some extra just to be safe), spare pin-outs from C205A (x1 pin if you did not take this entire plug) and C2280E (x2 pins if you did not take this entire plug).

This is the plug (C287) for the sunload sensor; the pin-outs are labeled to show where each wire will need to be connected.

Snake the wires from the sunload sensor down through the conduit beneath it, then snake the ground wire (Step 1) towards the ICP, and the wire to the SJB plug (Step 2) towards the pedals. There is plenty of space back there to do this, but you will have to be very patient and consider using a knot on the wire ends to facilitate moving it straight down without getting hung up on something behind the dash. It might be easier for some people to just remove the dashboard first, but personally, I wanted to avoid that step at all costs.

1. Run a wire from pin 2 (black/yellow wire in my picture above) on the sunload sensor to the ground (gold threaded bolt) down behind the ICP.

This is the area behind the ICP; the inset below shows the ground point in more detail.

Connect Sunload plug, pin 2 to this grounding point, called G200.

2. The other wire from pin 5 on the sunload plug (pink/purple wire in my picture above) must go down to pin 14 on this black plug (C2280E) under the SJB; it is the down-facing black plug closest to the pedals.

3. Run a length of wire from pin 7 on the gray plug (C205A) for the headlamp switch to pin 5 on plug C2280E. This will be fairly easy, since it's basically heading straight down through the left side of the dash.

4. Plug in the new headlamp switch and sunload sensor, reconnect the plug for the SJB, and test operation by covering the lens with something (a towel, coat, etc.) to simulate nighttime. When you key on the ignition with the light switch set to "(A)", the lights should come on and stay on until about twenty seconds after the ignition is turned off again. If you pull the obstruction off the sensor, it should read daylight and turn the lights off after about ten to fifteen seconds. Otherwise, the headlamp switch should work just as the old one did in the "O" (Off), "(P)" (Parking lamps on) and "(*)" (Headlamps on) modes. If it works, then conceal the newly added wiring, fully install the new headlamp switch and defroster grille, and you are finished with adding an Autolamp feature to your 2004-2007 Taurus or 2004-2005 Sable! Celebrate with the beverage of your choice; we had some lemon-lime Sun Drop.

• Like 1

According to Topic Finder this is the place for my question. I have a 2001 SES that I'm wanting to add Autolamps to and also lighted entry (with headlights on). I have a scrapyard 2003 SES GEM, 2001 Sable headlight switch and photo sensor. I've installed the GEM and after reprogramming the key-fob the lighted unlock functions OK minus the headlights (I do have Autolamp functionality issues - read on).

I've read and reread as many topics as I can find on this how-to. Upon hooking the Autolamp up as I think it should be (based upon the best how-to I could find for 2004-2007 cars) correct. Here's what happens...in the auto postion ("A") the parking lights only come and stay on regardless of light or dark. In addition there is no headlights with key-fob initiated unlock (just all other lights that are supposed to come on).

I've read that the photo-sensor can be the culprit for lights staying on regardless of dark, but I don't think this explains my issues does it.

I'd appreciate any help form the forum.

Here is how I've wired the Autolamps:

1) photo-sensor - pin 5 to grounding point G200.

2) photo-sensor - pin 2 to pin 14 on C201b.

3) photo-sensor - pin1, unused.

4) switch - pin 7 to pin 5 on C201b.

There are some wires you need to ground out in the steering column. Don't have any diagrams with me ATM, I'm outa town.

There are some wires you need to ground out in the steering column. Don't have any diagrams with me ATM, I'm outa town.

Picked another two sun-load sensors up at junkyard today. Plugged first one in and it did all the same things (parking lights on all the time / no head lights). The second one worked with regard to sensing the sun (not activating in light) and activating when covered / darkened for the parking lights...but still no headlights when darkened. BTW prior to going to junkyard I heated up solder at all connections to circuit board inside sun-load sensor assembly (read somewhere a guy said his got fixed this way / bad solder joint).

I remember you telling someone on that other forum that tilting the steering wheel might fix the issue. Your reference above, is it to an existing ground that might be faulty or a new ground that must be established.

Picked another two sun-load sensors up at junkyard today. Plugged first one in and it did all the same things (parking lights on all the time / no head lights). The second one worked with regard to sensing the sun (not activating in light) and activating when covered / darkened for the parking lights...but still no headlights when darkened. BTW prior to going to junkyard I heated up solder at all connections to circuit board inside sun-load sensor assembly (read somewhere a guy said his got fixed this way / bad solder joint).

I remember you telling someone on that other forum that tilting the steering wheel might fix the issue. Your reference above, is it to an existing ground that might be faulty or a new ground that must be established.

I did it. I was missing circuit 15 (red w/ yellow stripe) from Multi-Function Switch connector (C202b / pin 4) to Central Junction Box connector (C270b / pin 32). Thanks to user names (possible name form another forum) BullGeek, DelSavo and Brian SEL05.

To summarize and differentiate from the 2004-2007 write-up:

1) follow instructions per this thread for 2004-2007 AutoLamp retrofit.

------plus-----

2) for 2000-2003 (some variations of option level) add missing wire (circuit 15 - red w/ yellow stripe) from Multi-Function Switch connector (C202b / pin 4) to Central Junction Box connector (C270b / pin 32).

3) FYI...for what it's worth, I also had 1/3 photo sensors work from junk yard pull.

Now on to adding my junkyard puddle lamps and heated mirrors.

Brian - Do you still have the images from this how-to?

13 hours ago, Sean T. said:

Brian - Do you still have the images from this how-to?

I’ll have to check Photobucket and see if they still exist. 

Antennaplugview.jpg

IMG_2479.jpg

IMG_2477.jpg

IMG_2482.jpg

IMG_2483.jpg

IMG_2485.jpg

IMG_2467.jpg

Edited by Brian_05_SEL
Found them