Sign in to follow this  
TaurusKev

This Is Where My Displeasure With Ford Comes From Lately

I've been a die hard Ford fan for years. But within the last 3 years? That's been crumbling slowly... Quite a few issues with the 05 Taurus I had new which didn't sit well with me, therefore I sold it, then issues with my work 07 E-250, issues with my Dad's 05 Ranger XLT, and seeing first hand all the issues with 05 and newer E-250/E-350s at work, and F-150's. To be honest, it's a shock I bought another Ford, but I am holding out hope that Ford has changed their game with quality in new Fords and Mulaly Leadership.

Quality. It's just s**t. I'm hoping with the new generation Fords quality has been reintroduced to their lineup. Dad's 05 Ranger, blower motor resistor went, truck has about 50k miles on it, sure, it's in Illinois with salt, but this shouldn't be an issue...

But how can you sit there, and say Ford uses quality all around, when s**t like this exists on quite a bit of their vehicles?

ranger1.jpg

ranger2.jpg

I vaguely remember high school auto shop, with my teacher saying if you do any wire splicing, or any connectors that are exposed to the elements, make sure they are weather sealed. Seems Ford should have taken note.

1 Harness is from a 2006 Ranger, and 1 is from a 98.

But okay, GM can't be any better?

ranger3.jpg

ranger4.jpg

I got that harness off within seconds, with 1 hand, with ease. Blower motor resistor off a 97 Blazer. It appeared to be an Illinois vehicle its whole life too. But the few extra cents in the rubber seals paid off.

This is what I have to settle with:

ranger5.jpg

ranger6.jpg

Not a single weather seal. Oh well, this one looks salvageable. took awhile to pull off the old resistor, but eventually I won. The other 2 I couldn't. This one was pulled from a 99 Exploder. De-pin it, wire brush all the connectors, then silicone the back, and dielectric the hell out of the connector side.

I do know the poor weather seals on electrical connectors have plagued other users here on TSOC. Particularly Taurus Airbag Sensors. I plan to go over my Focus, I really hope Ford is putting weather seals under the hoods of these vehicles. Then again my Focus did get recalled for the passenger wiper motor's weather seals... :rolleyes: But from what I can tell by what pops out, they did put seals in.

For what I could tell, the F Series trucks appeared to have similar issues under the hood for the blower motor resistor.

Anyway, just needed to rant... Nothing like busting up my hand and wrist trying to get 1 out, only to find out it suffered the same fate. (That's the other thing, Ford never puts things in easy to get to spots... But that's another story :P )

Yeah I've always liked the weatherpack connectors over the Ford connectors for that very reason. They seem a lot easier to work with too.

I've been a die hard Ford fan for years. But within the last 3 years? That's been crumbling slowly... Quite a few issues with the 05 Taurus I had new which didn't sit well with me, therefore I sold it, then issues with my work 07 E-250, issues with my Dad's 05 Ranger XLT, and seeing first hand all the issues with 05 and newer E-250/E-350s at work, and F-150's. To be honest, it's a shock I bought another Ford, but I am holding out hope that Ford has changed their game with quality in new Fords and Mulaly Leadership.

Quality. It's just s**t. I'm hoping with the new generation Fords quality has been reintroduced to their lineup. Dad's 05 Ranger, blower motor resistor went, truck has about 50k miles on it, sure, it's in Illinois with salt, but this shouldn't be an issue...

But how can you sit there, and say Ford uses quality all around, when s**t like this exists on quite a bit of their vehicles?

ranger1.jpg

ranger2.jpg

I vaguely remember high school auto shop, with my teacher saying if you do any wire splicing, or any connectors that are exposed to the elements, make sure they are weather sealed. Seems Ford should have taken note.

1 Harness is from a 2006 Ranger, and 1 is from a 98.

But okay, GM can't be any better?

ranger3.jpg

ranger4.jpg

I got that harness off within seconds, with 1 hand, with ease. Blower motor resistor off a 97 Blazer. It appeared to be an Illinois vehicle its whole life too. But the few extra cents in the rubber seals paid off.

This is what I have to settle with:

ranger5.jpg

ranger6.jpg

Not a single weather seal. Oh well, this one looks salvageable. took awhile to pull off the old resistor, but eventually I won. The other 2 I couldn't. This one was pulled from a 99 Exploder. De-pin it, wire brush all the connectors, then silicone the back, and dielectric the hell out of the connector side.

I do know the poor weather seals on electrical connectors have plagued other users here on TSOC. Particularly Taurus Airbag Sensors. I plan to go over my Focus, I really hope Ford is putting weather seals under the hoods of these vehicles. Then again my Focus did get recalled for the passenger wiper motor's weather seals... :rolleyes: But from what I can tell by what pops out, they did put seals in.

For what I could tell, the F Series trucks appeared to have similar issues under the hood for the blower motor resistor.

Anyway, just needed to rant... Nothing like busting up my hand and wrist trying to get 1 out, only to find out it suffered the same fate. (That's the other thing, Ford never puts things in easy to get to spots... But that's another story :P )

Never had a connector issue with my 7 taurus/Sables nor 5 Lin Cont.

BUT, have had 2 break front springs, 1 blow head gaskets, and 1 ign module quit on the road.

You would think they would figure the springs out but Nooooo!

Sag in the rear, break in the front.

And adding shields to keep the springs from goint through the tire is not an answer I like.

-chart-

I've heard rumors that older Bulls never had spring issues... It's just sad to see where Ford's mind was in that era. So much decontenting, and save a penny here, and a penny there, and suddenly save over a couple hundred thousands bucks and hope that the new car buyers keep buying.

I buy a car for the long haul. At least, that's my plan. I do believe a car shouldn't give much issues in the first 5 years of its life. Should be minimal issues from 5-10, and then after 10, I can expect bigger repairs. That's how it should be too. Preventative maintenance shouldn't cost an arm and a leg too.

I've heard rumors that older Bulls never had spring issues... It's just sad to see where Ford's mind was in that era. So much decontenting, and save a penny here, and a penny there, and suddenly save over a couple hundred thousands bucks and hope that the new car buyers keep buying.

I buy a car for the long haul. At least, that's my plan. I do believe a car shouldn't give much issues in the first 5 years of its life. Should be minimal issues from 5-10, and then after 10, I can expect bigger repairs. That's how it should be too. Preventative maintenance shouldn't cost an arm and a leg too.

How many years did that ign module fail. From back at least '82 on Essex engines to after '92. The '92 Essex put the module on the fire wall but do not think the Vulcan did it till later. Fact is, they will/would all fail in time. Back in the day, I hunted and hunted for a spare dist for Vulcan and finally found one in a van. All the taurus/sables were taken. So seems some people did not know the van used the same engine. And I needed the dist.

Stupid me, I traded cars and left the spare dist in the garage and then it failed on my '87 Sable beside the road. Bummer.

-chart-

My Sable was exactly the way you said above. Minimal issues within the first 10 years. All preventative maintenance like trans flush, coolant flush, brake fluid flush, oil changes, fuel filters, air filters, brakes, etc. Major repairs didn't start happening until 11 years or so. Tie rod ends, sway bar links, struts, coolant recovery tank, upper radiator hose. That's about it.... still not that major in my opinion. Need some new cam cover gaskets and maybe a new oil pan gasket.... still nothing super major. Maybe I have just been lucky!

On my 05 Taurus... I had issues with spot welds on the heat shield rusting apart, this happened right after I lost my job at Circuit City... So 2009. What killed me was I went to pick up a fuel filter, trans filter, and trans fluid from a Ford Dealer. When I shifted in R, I heard the clunking. They ended up drilling out the welds, then putting rivets in. Ehh... Okay.

Then, I began having wonderful power drains. About 2008 I had to replace the battery, and seemed I couldn't hold on to a battery for over a year, Interstate, and Sears Diehard Gold, that was annoying. That never got fixed. I even removed all my mods to see what was killing it. EATC, Power antenna, Alarm/remote starter, and a few other things. Only way to prevent my battery from dying after sitting for 4 days or more was to just unhook the battery.

The final straw that pissed me off? The leak. I did the silicone fix, leaked slowed down. I used more silicone, completely undid it, then redid it. Mind you the spot is less than 2 inches I can fit my hand in. And of course warranty was expired, and it would have been way too costly to fix. Forget it. Add in the car began to rust where every Gen4 Taurus began to rust, when highly washed and maintained in the winter. You can't stop it sadly :(

I honestly almost settled on a Chevy Cruze. For once in my life I did an unbiased look at the competition, and I still think the Cruze is a wonderful car... Just the Focus offered more. There were pros and cons to both brands. I've had my little hickups with my Focus with the MyFord Touch, but overall, they fixed most the bugs... I can see in the Focus that Ford is concentrating where attention to detail should be placed. I sincerely hope Ford learned from some past issues. I do need a day to crawl under my car to see if there are exposed wiring anywhere... I'll be pissed if that is still the case.

Any ford product manufactured between 1999 and 2005 in my eyes was built in the "dark years" as I call them. They were way too focued on Hertz and LandRover and Volvo. The company is now alot meaner and leaner, far better than GM. GM and their bailout restructuring is a load of crap, If I ever buy a GM vehicle new I will personally request that they deduct my contribution of the bailout money from the sticker price.

See, I agree with the Ford dark era, but I disagree with the whole GM. I've worked on them, I've driven them, and I've seen their first hand reliability. GM was guilty too of a dark period of using super cheap plastics. Think every 99-05 Impala and similar vehicles suffered the same fate of the buttons wearing off to be clear on the steering wheels.

But later Impalas? Seemed to have fixed it. The Malibu? Yes, it was s**t. But if you give an unbiased look at the new ones, it's a whole different story. The only thing that was consistent was GM trucks.

To be honest, I want all three of the big three to do good. If one fails, that's a ton of unemployment, which means families may struggle to keep food on their kids plates. Even Ford knew GM and Chrysler getting help was important. I won't change the fact I won't consider a Chrysler for some years to come because I want to see how their products hold up over the true test of time. I've seen GM's hold up hell and back, I've seen Fords hold up too. It's just the minor stuff that annoys me. I want to see quality in everything.

The only GM's I disagree with are Buicks. When I think Buick, I think Roadmaster, Park Avenue, and cars like that. But if the new Buicks are selling, I guess that's all that matters. I'd love to see the return of a Roadmaster with Dynaride though... Mmmmm :wub: