Sign in to follow this  
Thub

Motor Trend Disappoints Me Again

I just find myself at a loss for words, Ram 1500 is the Motor Trend Truck of 2013. From what I read they gave it high praise for its ride quality and handling. Its a TRUCK its not supposed to be a cushy ride. Air ride suspension is the biggest joke ever, its just begging to break and when it does it costs a fortune to fix.

Again Motor Trend is evaluating vehicles for qualities that potential buyers could care less about. This one is just as bad as awarding Tesla MT car of the year, Tesla is a car that most people haven't even heard of and most people will never come close to owning.

How can a car of the year be a car that most people can't afford? Shouldn't things like affordability go into that decision?

If you actually read MT's criteria, the price is irrelevant as long as value for the product's intended market is met. Case in point: Nissan GT-R, over $80k and a recent COTY winner.

Feed the magazine a bunch of money under the table, and the editors will say anything you want. It's a form of advertising and it is becoming a lot more prevalent lately. Struggling companies often do that with the media so the Jews will do a story on them and make them look really good in the public eyes, same thing has happen here. That is exactly why I don't subscribe to any of them magazines anymore, they are way to biased. Just my 2 cents

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Sorry, I didn't mean to say Jews, I meant to say news. Stupid predictive text! :)

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Quick catch. After I read it, I wondered where you were from. Checked. Indiana. Surprise? Not exactly a bastion for skinheads, etc. Then read your second post. Whew, you had me a little worried.

Motor Trend, in my opinion shills more often for Ford than other makes. No matter, I make my own decisions (I drive a Taurus wagon and play with a Focus SVT wagon - not exactly your prime market vehicles.)

Other magazines have their "favourites" as well. Hot Rod magazine is biased to GM and Consumer Reports is very biased towards imports. Just read between the lines, do your own test drives and accept what is written with a jaundiced eye. For example, if you read (or hear) how much better the "new" Porsche handles compared to the older one, that should tell you that the older one did not handle as you may have been lead to believe (actual experience, the best handling Porsche is the Boxster, mid-engine model touted as the entry level. The 911, even with huge rear tires, still is very prone to oversteer. By way of contrast, the Taurus understeers. I do lust after the seven speed manual though.)

A recent Deutsche Welle Drive It! TV magazine review of a mid sixties Lamborghini gave the best description of that era Ferrari. When Ferruccio Lamborghini, a very successful tractor manufacturer, discovered the clutch on his Ferrari was broken, and actually was the same clutch that he used on his tractors, he went to Ferrari and asked for a better replacement. Ferrari responded, saying what did he know, that he was just a tractor maker, and could not know anything about sports cars. So Lamborghini built his own, better in every way sports car.

My experience with Ferrari was similar, except being a farm boy, I knew how to double clutch and so had a fairly enjoyable ride. What I assumed was an abused car was actually the way they used to arrive from the factory (back in the late sixties.) If you every find an old early seventies magazine review of Ferraris, you will see comments about how much "better" the clutch is on this model than on earlier ones.

So read between the lines, test drive the car you want, and make your own decisions. If you like it, you will not have to justify it to yourself. You will just drive it.

Edited by SHO-WGN

The Truck of the Year is a joke anyways. It's always just the Silvarado (and variants) versus the Ram versus the F-150.

The Truck of the Year is a joke anyways. It's always just the Silvarado (and variants) versus the Ram versus the F-150.

Because Toyota and Nissan have yet to produce a real truck.

Because Toyota and Nissan have yet to produce a real truck.

That's funny...I'd take a Tundra over an F-150 any day. And I really like the F-150's...

That's funny...I'd take a Tundra over an F-150 any day. And I really like the F-150's...

Toyota tries to claim the weak frame design of the Tundra is intended to improve trailer handling. They point it out like weakness is a feature. I'll stick to fully boxed frames. Where I live, over half the vehicles on the road are trucks. Most of those trucks are heavy duty versions (F-250, 2500, etc). Tundras and Titans don't work for those who actually use their trucks as trucks.

The F-150 in my opinion is a great truck as long as you don't use it for hauling. I just feel like it isn't made to really take that and live for a LONG time doing so. However the F-250 is a GREAT truck.

Toyota tries to claim the weak frame design of the Tundra is intended to improve trailer handling. They point it out like weakness is a feature. I'll stick to fully boxed frames. Where I live, over half the vehicles on the road are trucks. Most of those trucks are heavy duty versions (F-250, 2500, etc). Tundras and Titans don't work for those who actually use their trucks as trucks.

^ agreed.

You cannot compare any import truck to an american truck, they just don't know how to build them, like pointed out the Tundra rides on a C section frame that is a joke compared to say the F150s fully boxed frame. There is a huge difference, for work the past 2 years I drove a chevy colorado which was a C style frame and on any big bump that thing was all over the road, hop in my explorer (Fully Boxed front to back) and its stiff as a board, thats actually one thing I like about going from the taurus to the explorer, it feels way more solid.

Funny thing is... If a fully boxed frame was better in every way, wouldn't all semi-trucks use them? They don't.

Interesting read: http://jimmcnatttoyota.blogspot.com/2008/12/tundra-tripletech-frame-explained.html?m=1

I can tell you from first hand experience, the Tundra is fully composed and drives straight as an arrow even at 90+ mph. Towing an overloaded trailer that tests the Tundra's towing capabilities? No problem. Cruises at 80+ with the huge trailer like its not even there.

Anyways, not bashing the F-150 or any of you, just saying that bigger and heavier is not always better.

Some people buy a truck for their DD and use it also for recreation, such as pulling trailers or for the cargo space in the bed. I for a fact would not buy a truck that has a rough ride and justify it by saying, "Oh, well it is a truck." If it was a company vehicle for moving cargo or just generally for work, then yeah, ride quality is less of a factor, but still should be somewhat smooth.

I know I'm a Dodge guy and all, but no matter what they picked, I think that your claims that ride quality shouldn't be a factor for a truck is wrong. Just because it's a truck doesn't mean it can't be luxury.

• Like 1

No ride is somewhat important, but in a truck power, towing, payload, and off-road capability are more important. I also see the use of an adjustable air ride suspension as a big mistake. I have seen 1st hand what happens to air ride suspension over time, owners will just replace it with convential coils once it breaks. The 95 Windstar my family owned was a top end model, including the rear air ride suspension, yes it was cool when you loaded that van up and it pumped right up to the correct level and then unloaded it and it was jacked up 4 inches in the back. All the fun ended when it developed a leak. When every mechanic you take the car to says "we can't find the leak and the system is screwed up" you have a problem. My dad ended up ordering coils and having all of the air ride components ripped out.

Funny thing is... If a fully boxed frame was better in every way, wouldn't all semi-trucks use them? They don't.

They also use 3/8" steel in their C channel instead of 3/16" you'd find in a passenger vehicle.

They also use 3/8" steel in their C channel instead of 3/16" you'd find in a passenger vehicle.

Right, it's scaled up for a bigger vehicle hauling massive loads. Scale it down?

MotorTrend, Car and Driver, etc. They are bathroom reading material at best.

Give me Hagerty Classic Cars :)