Sign in to follow this  
Bull Geek

Factory % Tint Rear Suv & Minivan

What is the Factory % of Tint used in the AS3 glass used from the B pillars and back in SUVs, crossovers, and other applicable motor vehicles? IE. Ford Explorer, Chevrolet Suburban, etc.

I want to get a similar % tint for the rear of the station wagon. The AS2 glass that allows at least 70% light transmission all around the car turns the interior into a sauna.

I think the AS3 is 70% or less. Doesn't it depend on the car manufacturer and state you live in? Stock tint varies from car to car right? Maybe I'm not understanding you...

There are three types of glass.

AS1 = At least 70% or greater light transmission, laminated (windshield)

AS2 = At least 70% or greater light transmission, not laminated but tempered (not allowed on windshield)

AS3 = 70% or less light transmission. Can be laminated or tempered.

You ain't got Google dawg? :)

I have tried Googling a lot today and am not getting anything conclusive.

I guess I'm confused exactly what you want. I was saying AS3 is 70% or less. You're looking for what car makers but on the glass behind the B pillar? Why would they all be the same? Probably 35% is my best guess. I googled it as well and couldn't find anything conclusive. Call ford and ask them lol.

It's definitely not 35%, it's less than 20%. I have 35% on my car and the SUV glass is much darker.

20% sounds about right. Maybe darker, they call it privacy glass for a reason, but factory tinted glass is alot different since its in the glass not a film on the glass.

I stated that I wanted to know what was the factory % of tint behind the B pillar on SUVs, etc. :icon_question::icon_neutral:

Federal law dictates that trucks, suvs, cross overs, minivans, etc are allowed to have dark tinted windows to protect the cargo area and passenger area. But the front seats are not allowed.

Sedans and wagon based sedans, coupes are not allowed to have the tint. It's a rather antiquated and stupid law IMO.

20% was my second guess :)

If you don't know you don't have to answer :lol: It ain't required.

And that's a good point Thub, the glass actually has the tint inside it. So it is a bit different. I just wanted to see about what % I should go for before I place an order for the precut tint.

Biggest thing is that factory tinted windows will never fade, where as after a few years even the best window tint film will lighten a bit, the cheap stuff goes purple where as the good stuff just fades a bit.

If you are planning on tinting your wagons rear windows, I would go with 20% for the best look. Any darker and have fun backing up at night. Going from the taurus to the explorer is hard espically when you have to back up a curvy blacktop driveway when its pitch black out, even the reverse lights are useless. I've had to leave the liftgate glass up when I was backing trailers up at night, I just like being able to maximize visibility.

The factory privacy glass on my mom's 2007 Highlander is 20%, according to Toyota. I asked about it back before I had my Taurus windows tinted to have a visual reference compared to 35%...

My dad's Tundra has 20% from the factory on the back windows. Put 35% on the front and it really looks nice. It's been over 4 years and the tint still looks brand new, and it's not the expensive stuff.

The factory tint on suvs and the like seem to be very dark. I would say around 10-15 % I've been planning on putting 20% all the way around on my wagon but as hot as it got here in Az this past summer made me change my mind. I think I'll just put the 5% limo on the rear 5 windows and 20% on the fronts. Not only will it help keep the temps down, it will also help protect the interior too.

Just clicked buy on 20% 3M FX Premium tint for all the windows :) Thanks eBay for the cheap precut tint.

and :werd: radioflyer. I really need to cut the UV rays down from fading the interior out, keep the interior temps down as well.

Ya Limo Tint would require a backup camera at light haha.

Here are all the state tint laws: http://www.tintlaws.com/

surprised that SC allows 27% all around.