Sign in to follow this  
SHO-WGN

Down On The Farm

Anyone interested what we do on the farm? Okay, these are not in Canada. Someone thought I would like them. I did and decided to share them here (click the photos).

14jxe0k.jpg

Mmm I like this. I'm getting some bad ideas..... :ph34r:

:icon_lol: Fun stuff. Do you do any tractor pull competitions? I bet those Swedes do.

That's some dirty exhaust! I had a friend that used to run his tractor just about on anything he could find lol. That old diesel would run off of literally anything flammable.

That's some dirty exhaust! I had a friend that used to run his tractor just about on anything he could find lol. That old diesel would run off of literally anything flammable.

That's the beauty of a diesel. They aren't as picky as gasoline engines.

That's the beauty of a diesel. They aren't as picky as gasoline engines.

Could have had a V-8.

-chart-

Could have had a V-8.

-chart-

Oh my. I want that tractor! Maybe I could find one somewhere and fit an 8V92TA Detroit Diesel in it.......

Oh my. I want that tractor! Maybe I could find one somewhere and fit an 8V92TA Detroit Diesel in it.......

How about a flat 2.

BIG 2.

Lots of weight.

-chart-

How about a flat 2.

BIG 2.

Lots of weight.

-chart-

You mean like a semi-diesel or an old hit-and-miss engine? That would be cool too!

You mean like a semi-diesel or an old hit-and-miss engine? That would be cool too!

471 cubes all diesel.

Still chugging along.

-chart-

Now that's an engine! Not much in the way of HP but tons of torque! I wonder if it could be measured in tons/ft instead of lbs/ft.

Now that's an engine! Not much in the way of HP but tons of torque! I wonder if it could be measured in tons/ft instead of lbs/ft.

The one in my previous pic has weights in the belly pan and in front.

They seem to think it needs lots of wight to keep in on the ground.

--------------

Added pic of the tractor I grew up on.

Grandson is on it.

1946 JD 45 hp at 900 rpm.

Still working tractor. My brother owns the farm.

Only light duty as it SUCKS GAS.

Started life as a kerosene burner, but converted to gas.

-chart-

The first tractor pulls I saw were in the early seventies. They were offered as part of the afternoon grandstand show. The track was in front of the grandstand and was about 100 metres long. There was a high fence and gate maybe another 25 or 30 metres past the finish line.

There I sat, for the better part of an hour watching stock John Deere (and other make) tractors pulling the sled as far as they could. ** hum. Was just about to leave when I heard the crackle of a double A fueler. Where, where? Out from the compound comes this funny looking tractor with a fuel burning Hemi. The announcer describes the "tractor" and that the sled is changed to bring the full weight much sooner. And now it was interesting. (I have a real appreciation for drag racing motors and this was much the same sound. Loved it.) Wheels churning, steered probably by brakes since the front wheels were off the ground; these tractors did near full pulls, but not quite.

Then out came a different tractor. It was much quieter, no fueler crackle. He hitched up, the flag dropped and those wheels started churning, the exhaust stack was like a rocket plume, except black and shooting way into the sky. By mid track he was flying. It was not just a full pull, but he was going so fast that at the end of the track everyone sitting on that fence and gate scattered like flies as with full brakes, skidding at probably close to 100 km/hr, he bashed through the gate and fence. Nobody was hurt, but my interest was definitely drawn in.

A diesel beat my favourites, the supercharged nitro methane fueled Hemis.

Today, the tractor pulls have kind of died down, and trucks are more than likely the attraction.

That's the first time I've heard of an account of tractor pulls, so that's interesting. I live about 3 miles from my county's fairgrounds where we have tractor pulls when our county fair occurs in August. I sort of agree with that last sentence since country boys are all about their trucks, but I haven't seen enough tractor pulling to tell if that's so.