Sign in to follow this  
Angrod

Driving An Old Mack

Okay so a while ago I mentioned that a friend of mine acquired an old fire engine. At least I think I mentioned it. Anyway I never got around to putting up picks or vids. So I'm going to do that now just for the heck of it.

truck_web_1.jpg

truck_web_3.jpg

And the powerplant:

truck_web_2.jpg

A video of yours truly driving it. Keep in mind I have no stickshift experience and I've never driven anything larger than a Panther platform car before.

Yeah the thing is a beast. And both of us are newbs to this sort of thing. It's a hella lotta fun though.

HAH! Driving big stuff thats a stick is fun. NOT easy! Lol, sticks are easyyyyyyyyyy. Got to drive a school bus that was a stick, holy cow the clutch was so loose that you couldn't engage it in first gear without the entire thing shaking like hell.

Funny watching you try to get those shifts fast lol.

Edited by breeves002

Another video of the Mack. I love the smoke rings on startup!

LOL! That exhaust doesn't look tooooo good! Whats its torque output? Gas milage more than 1mpg? Does it have a siren?

Edited by breeves002

LOL! That exhaust doesn't look tooooo good! Whats its torque output? Gas milage more than 1mpg? Does it have a siren?

The smoke was from incomplete combustion. Diesels do that when it's cold out. The book says it's supposed to make 238 hp and 720 lb/ft. I'm not sure if the engine still makes those numbers though. Fuel mileage is around 10 mpg the way my buddy drives. With me it's more like 3. And there is no siren. The fire department wanted too much for it. So my buddy put an old home security alarm on it. It's rather obnoxious and illegal so he can't use it when he's driving.

Never had the fortune to drive a Mack. Closest to unusual is a World War II Chev or GM army truck. Right-hand drive, four speed manual, two speed axle, transfer case, all non-synchromesh. I was fifteen. The truck had been converted to farm use by installing a grain box and hand hydraulic lift. However, the box was so long, if you pumped the hydraulic to dump the grain, the weight shift over powered the hydraulic and you had to shovel it by hand into the auger.

The good part, I learned to back up with mirrors. Also how to double clutch. It was fun to drive from the "wrong" side (for about a day) and shifting eight times to get up to the top speed of 30 mph soon got boring as well. Learned how to dump the grain without spilling. Had the same job each fall until went off to University.

Almost forgot about it until three years ago. My wife and I were touring the National War Museum in Ottawa when I spotted an almost identical truck on display. As I proceeded to describe the "joys" of driving it, I noticed one young guy accurately translating what I was saying to a small group of other teenagers who were furiously writing everything down. "Des questions?" I asked. One sweet young thing asked "Avez-vous conduit une dans la guerre?" "Non, j'étais un bébé alors." I answered (I was just a baby then.)

The group proceeded to follow me through other displays. Another major stop was when I spotted a Gypsy Major Tiger Moth. This was a biplane trainer my father had bought and dismantled to build a snowplane in the late forties. In this section were other airplanes all the way back to World War I. I explained to both my wife and the group, the Sopwith Camel killed almost as many pilots in training as in battle. The engine was a nine-cylinder rotary. The entire engine spins, which provides even cooling and thus can be built to produce higher power output. Except, that mass of spinning metal produces significant gyroscopic forces. (Think bicycle. To turn you lean. You had to coordinate your control movements to account for the effect.) Again the sweet young thing asks "Avez-vous voler un dans la guerre?" "No I did not fly it in the war. That one was from 1914 to 1918.

The final straw (except I was flattered the group followed me around and listened so attentively) was when I described the Gatling gun from the Riel Rebellion (1885 in case you are interested.) The Gatling gun is really nothing more than nine single shot bolt action rifles assembled around a common axle. A cam on the left pulls back the bolt, the empty cartridge ejects, a new bullet drops in (from a magazine at the top), another cam on the right slams the bolt home and locks it, while another cam (also on the right) cocks the hammer. At the bottom an automatic trigger fires the shell. As long as the operator turned the crank, spinning the barrels, you had continuous fire.

Sweet young thing "Étiez-vous dans cette guerre?" "Non, c'est la guerre était il ya 124 ans." I think by this time, she was having fun pulling my chain. When I told my sons of the experience, they quickly understood. "You enjoyed it, the experience, because you enjoyed teaching." The group were students from Montréal.

So if some of my posts get too long and boring, just understand it is the teacher in me. Just tolerate an old guy.

How old are you?

That's a funny story! I hope she was just trying to make fun of you and wasn't really that dumb. I mean seriously. You'd be one of the oldest people alive haha!

Big ol' trucks are much fun. I always enjoyed driving the Army trucks in civilian areas and looking down on semi trucks! Largest thing I ever drove was a M934 5 ton, long wheelbase. But the heaviest thing I ever drove was a M936 wrecker towing another fully loaded M925 behind it. About 35-40 tons of rolling steel!!! (at 75mph... insane!)

I want to drive the marauder. Not the Mercury Marauder, the Marauder from top gear. Now that would be fun.

Edited by breeves002

Think Lincoln's Gettysurg Address. I am one score shorter. See, now that wasn't so difficult, was it? And in case I forget it (part of the problem of old age), is your birthday tomorrow breeves002? If so, here is an early Happy Birthday to you.

it's today! So you = 3 scores old? I somehow thought you were older lol, no offense.

Edited by breeves002

One score less than "Four score and seven years". In other words, three score and seven or 67. Almost half century older than the birthday boy. Chart and I hold the other end of the age spectrum. Older, nah I never take offense. If my youngest can call me "old guy" and live to tell about it, you're safe.

The smoke was from incomplete combustion. Diesels do that when it's cold out. The book says it's supposed to make 238 hp and 720 lb/ft. I'm not sure if the engine still makes those numbers though. Fuel mileage is around 10 mpg the way my buddy drives. With me it's more like 3. And there is no siren. The fire department wanted too much for it. So my buddy put an old home security alarm on it. It's rather obnoxious and illegal so he can't use it when he's driving.

Nice, 720lb/ft is damn a lot. I'm surprised 10 mpgs is possible in this thing. I mean the new Raptors gets like 11.

Nice, 720lb/ft is damn a lot. I'm surprised 10 mpgs is possible in this thing. I mean the new Raptors gets like 11.

That old Mack is probably 5-6 tons dry and shaped like a single wide trailer house. Not bad really.

One score less than "Four score and seven years". In other words, three score and seven or 67. Almost half century older than the birthday boy. Chart and I hold the other end of the age spectrum. Older, nah I never take offense. If my youngest can call me "old guy" and live to tell about it, you're safe.

I didn't think about the "seven years". I was just taking the score into account haha. Makes sense. So you are about what age I would have guessed!

Haha, I wanna hear the 'siren' that he put on!

720 is a lot for its time period but compared to today's trucks which make more like 1200+ it isn't really that much.

That old Mack is probably 5-6 tons dry and shaped like a single wide trailer house. Not bad really.

It's actually more like 10-12 tons dry. With a tank of water its 14. The gvwr is just over 28,000 lbs.

What's the redline? 3000 RPM, or is that too high?

Way too high. Diesels like this are designed with a specific operating range in mind. The Thermodyne series this engine belongs too was designed to operate between 1600-2100 rpm. So I guess that makes 2100 the redline. I know for sure that the governor cuts fuel at 2500.

Just to give you an idea of how large the engine is: It is an inline 6 and each cylinder displaces 112 cubic inches for a total of 672 cubic inches (673 by Mack's numbers) or 11.2 litres. In contrast our bulls displace in total 180 cubic inches.

Hmm, I drove a bus that fuel cutoff was at 2800 RPM. It was a 13.2L inline 6. I understand how big they get! This bus was a 95'.

Don't know why I said 3000. I knew it was lower lol.