Guitarslinger16

Engine Idle

How would one align them if that was the problem

You do not align them. If the belt is the correct length, it will be between the marks. If the belt is too short, you can't get it on. Few ticks long and it will slip and the alignment marks will show it is at the end of it's travel. I have not had this happen, but I have heard stories, and warnings. I know a friend who had the dealer put a new belt on and the A/C did not work right. Took it back and they found they used the wrong belt and it was slipping.

Pic shows index marks for one type of DOHC tensioner. My ref picture. Others will differ a bit.

-chart-

Edited by -chart-

Pull the belt off and run it for no longer than one minute with no belt. Listen and see if your noise is gone. Do this before purchasing any parts. if the chirp is gone then your issue is on the accessory belt drive. (As said above one of the pulleys / bearings / loose belt etc.)

If the noise is still present with the belt off then move immediately to thinking that the syncronizer and camshaft position sensor are the culprit.

Also, with the belt on and car running turn the A/C on and see if the chirp disappears / changes.

I have a 2004 Taurus OHV and my IACV has a warning label not to clean it.  Can I still clean it any way and if so, how?  Thanks.