breeves002

What Is The Fastest You Have Driven?

So this may be a little bit juvenile, but I'm just wondering everybody, how fast have you driven a car?

On or off the track, how fast did you go and what car was it? What's the fastest car you have had the pleasure to be a passenger of? Also, how fast have you gotten your bull?

My Sable has gotten me to the limiter at 109mph two times. That tec' pulls to 100mph quite quickly (gotten there plenty of times) but unfortunately when it forces it up into 4th gear TC locked at 100 it take forever to get to 109. It's sad that third gear has a lot more potential when it forces you down. I figured out the hard way it hard limits you if you have your shifter in "3" at around 5300rpm. Second fastest car I've driven sadly lol is the Cadillac DTS I had. 300hp/300ft-lb. It pulled to 100 pretty fast. I hit the limiter on that at 130 at 2am on a highway that NO one drives on. That car was totaled unfortunately. Slid on ice and plowed into the back of an SUV. Frame and engine damage occurred Lucky I didn't get killed, thank god for the huge front end those caddy's have!

The fastest car I have driven is a 2009 CTS-V with the 6.2L Supercharged LSA V8. On TCCA I like to pretend I own one in my signature, but I don't. On the track I have gotten it to 184mph. Off the track to 150mph - that was really scary. If you haven't had the chance to go to a track and drive a fast car, do it. Even if it's your bull, just go to a track, it's so much fun. I really should have taken pictures when I went. Oh well.

For those of you who have grown up and are past the "I wanna drive fast", well I'm sure you were there at one point or another! Personally I've gotten past that as well for driving on the street, but when I get the chance to hit the track (not often), I sure do take it!

Edited by breeves002

104 in my 95 Taurus, on an open road in No. CA. Bu this is not something I brag about or discuss in polite company. It was foolishness.

And now I've joined the "I like to drive fast but know better" club..... that and my last speeding ticket in CA did me in.

I agree. Me going 130 in the dts, 150 in the cts, and even 100 in the sable was foolish! I haven't gone past 80 in the sable in a long time. I will when I drive down to texas on tollways that the speed limit is 85mph.

I recently joined that same club. I've gotten one speeding ticket (40mph in a 30 when I was 16), and I think I force myself to drive slower now because it saves gas! Hah! It stinks when you have to pay for your own gas!

I've had my bull up to 105, had to shut her down though was going over a slight hill on the highway, cop could have been hanging out. I'll go 90+ with her for short stints somewhat frequently on the highway. Only certain times of day on certain sections of highway. That's probably the fastest I have personally driven, but I have been a passenger in a Maserati GranCabrio, quick jolt up to about 125, and with a 2003 Mercedes SL500...a sprint at 120 and held there for a little while. I have had the pleasure of driving the SL500 on a couple hour highway trip, what a beautiful machine. Got it up to 100 once or twice, and it was begging for more and smooth as silk. Maserati is a while different thing altogether though, lol. So I don't really push it too much on public roads/highways, the penalty if caught is just not worth it. That being said, I am a lead foot and I speed most of the time when I am driving.

Edited by DuraBull

Hah! When I first got my license, I drove the speedlimit and maybe 5 to 10 over (never more). Eventually I started driving faster and at one point I went 80mph on the highway anywhere I knew there were no cops. I have a really good eye for cops, never gotten a ticket on the highway. Only ticket was for 40 in a 30 like I said above when I had had my license for about 9 months... Only reason I've started driving the speed limit again is to save gas..... 17mpg for half highway miles SUCKS.

I'd like to sit in a Maserati. A guy near me has a ferarri 458 spyder.... That thing is cool. Never gotten to drive it or drive fast in it.

I must add, if anyone has the chance to drive a RWD car with 300+ HP/torque, take it to an EMPTY parking lot and learn how to drift. If you are careful and do it right it is so much fun. Billowing smoke while powering through corners, rear wheels spinning as you turn is fun. Just be safe. To be honest I'm kind of a timid guy. You'd never know unless you really got to know me, I don't seem so at first. Cars scare the s**t out of me. I have always been scared of car accidents and death because of them... That's why I'm always super safe and don't go over the top and slow down when I realize something is stupid.

Edited by breeves002

Hah! When I first got my license, I drove the speedlimit and maybe 5 to 10 over (never more). Eventually I started driving faster and at one point I went 80mph on the highway anywhere I knew there were no cops. I have a really good eye for cops, never gotten a ticket on the highway. Only ticket was for 40 in a 30 like I said above when I had had my license for about 9 months... Only reason I've started driving the speed limit again is to save gas..... 17mpg for half highway miles SUCKS.

I'd like to sit in a Maserati. A guy near me has a ferarri 458 spyder.... That thing is cool. Never gotten to drive it or drive fast in it.

I must add, if anyone has the chance to drive a RWD car with 300+ HP/torque, take it to an EMPTY parking lot and learn how to drift. If you are careful and do it right it is so much fun. Billowing smoke while powering through corners, rear wheels spinning as you turn is fun. Just be safe. To be honest I'm kind of a timid guy. You'd never know unless you really got to know me, I don't seem so at first. Cars scare the s**t out of me. I have always been scared of car accidents and death because of them... That's why I'm always super safe and don't go over the top and slow down when I realize something is stupid.

s**t, that's bad mileage. I don't do more than around a quarter highway miles and I still average between 20-21. With a heavy right foot, mind you.

And man, the Maserati is a thing of beauty. Best sounding exhaust I have personally heard on ANYTHING. Except for this Plymouth GTX 440 that I saw the other day, pretty sure it was running open headers. Nasty sounding.

Edited by DuraBull

Well you drive an 04, I drive an 00 with 135k, so the age of my motor may have something to do with it. I get about 19-21 doing half highway miles now. I haven't really thought about why my milage is so bad. Clean air filter, TC seems to be locking correctly... I sometimes drive with a heavy foot, sometimes with a very light foot... depends on my mood to be completely honest. Now that I'm paying for my own gas I have to be weary about how I drive.... I seem to fill up about once a week with 12-13 gallons and around 230-250 miles on the trip.

I guess the reason its been so bad recently is I make several short trips (1/4 miles) on tues/thurs and one on mon/wed. Car doesn't have time to warm up much past C ever. That may be part of it.

Air filter is clean, oil changes every 5k miles.... fuel additive every oil change, spark plugs have 20k on them, performance of the engine is pretty good though. Can running slightly hot lower gas milage?

Well it's better than my DTS... with about 30% highway miles I averaged 16-17mpg on that! I had a quite heavy foot then though... I must say having a car that downshifts to first when you are going 40mph feels great. Great power. Parents paid for gas at that point though so I didn't care so much!

Read your exhaust comment after I finished writing... Send me a video of it if you can find one. I am very particular on my exhaust sound. I hate the noise that all infiniti's give. I don't know why, I just don't like it. I cut the muffler off of a 99 devile and that sounded great. Just a 4.6L northstar V8 at idle sounded like a giant 352ci hemi or something haha!

Edited by breeves002

120 mph

^

in what...? Your third gen sho?

Edited by breeves002

Lol no, the Wagon of course!

In the 2000. Never ever ever doing that again.

• Like 1

Oh right! You had it tuned so the limiter was removed! Damn, that must have not been fun haha.

I would laugh if I saw an 87' wagon barreling down at 120mph past me. I'd then shut up as I watch it burst into flames.

Edited by breeves002

^SCT tune removed limiter right? And why, was it unstable at that speed?

Another question.... When you had your (question to everyone) Taurus up to speed like that how stable was it? Any shaking? If so, when did it start?

Before nick even responds I'm going to take a gander and say that it probably was unstable at 120mph... Ford put the limiter where it is for a reason... I mean, who the hell needs to drive over 80mph anyways? Maybe 90 sometimes, but seriously.

Oh, my sable was fine all the way through to the limiter. I didn't have any shaking of course that was with freshly balanced tires and a fresh alignment. When I replaced my struts before I had it aligned, the shaking started at about 68mph... When I say it didn't have any shaking, I mean it had just as much shaking as you would expect for the freakish amount of wind pounding against the car. It was fairly smooth though. Wouldn't drive that way for long because of the roar of the engine. I've seen people blow out their engines because they accidentally put it in "2" instead of "d" on cars that have that option and an O/D off button...

Edited by breeves002

The limiter is actually for the tires, stock tires (T-rated), are only safe to 118. It's more a safety thing because of the tires. Plus the way the car is geared, it wouldn't go much faster than that. The Duratec most definitely would, but not the rest of the car.

Hah! Makes sense. I think once you get through the third gear at limiter (6500rpm), you will be nearing the drag limited top speed of the car.

NICK: when you get your oil leak fixed and suspension fixed, I'm driving down there and we are seeing how truly fast we can get that car. If we die, well that stinks. I want to know if it drag limits before 4th gear gets to 6500rpm. Which I'm sure it will, just wondering how fast a duratec can actually go.

Ben, you're coming too.

Edited by breeves002

You want to see how fast a Duratec can go? Check the Noble M400 :icon_mrgreen:

130~ roughly 2 weeks after I bought my SHO.

A week after that he sold his boosted d series and bought an SC300. Before that nothing could touch him. According to him anyway.

Because a bunch of "what if's" floated into my mind (ie tire blows, brakes don't slow me down, etc).

Car was smooth as butter at the time. Tires were rated for 130mph. And yes tune was (and still is) on.

I don't think the AXOD version Taurus/Sables were speed limited electronically. Only drag limited. 91's probably got the restriction put on for the AXOD-E.

Course you never knew how fast you were going once you hit 85 lol.

Interesting. Only vulcans were paired to the AXOD, right? They had it updated to AX4S before they made the tec, right? I don't know my history very well here...

Oh yeah, I've seen that noble m400, cool car lol duratec on steroids!

100 on I-70 around 3 in the morning some random night. I had just left work and was in a really foul mood. This was in my current bull with all 4 windows open.

On a separate note, I got to drive faster than 'normal' going to and from RoTB this summer. Once out of PA all the highways were 70 mph which meant putting the needle closer to 75. Like the video below demonstrates going through Michigan on the way home:

Interesting. Only vulcans were paired to the AXOD, right? They had it updated to AX4S before they made the tec, right? I don't know my history very well here...

Oh yeah, I've seen that noble m400, cool car lol duratec on steroids!

AXOD was with the Essex as well, and 3.2 auto SHO. AX4N was the only tranny ever to come attached to a Duratec.

Edited by DuraBull

100 on I-70 around 3 in the morning some random night. I had just left work and was in a really foul mood.

On a separate note, I got to drive faster than 'normal' going to and from RoTB this summer. Once out of PA all the highways were 70 mph which meant putting the needle closer to 75.

Hahaha! That is nothing! Missouri is the same way, I don't think we have speed limits over 60mph, maybe 65.

However I drive to texas roughly once a year, and their are toll ways down there that the speed limit is 80mph!! It was about 8pm last year when I went down there (going again soon, I go down for thanksgiving to see my grandparents and cousins), and we were actually pretty close to my cousins by this point. Maybe roughly 50 miles out. There is this brand new toll road that is not used much at all. I saw about 5 cars on it and most of them were heading the other way. I drove 90mph the entire way. Burned a crap ton of gas, but set the cruise at 90 and got there fast! Had the brights on and was watching out for deer, and cops! There were no cops.

Edited by breeves002

I know about a certain 89 SHO that buried the speedo on the north side of 140 on I-65 south of Nashville one day. Very light traffic, and a 93-ish Maxima 4DSC that wanted to run. He started drifting side-to-side in his lane around 130, so I gave her a little more pedal and pulled past.

My car was rock-steady all the way up. Went from exit 46 to exit 14 (start to finish at my exit) in about 12 minutes.

I figure with my gear and wheel combo about 28 mph per 1000 rpm...and the tach was at 5500 when I started backing down.

It was fun while it lasted, but the next time will be on a proper track.

Michigan reminds me of South Carolina. 10+ over is considered OK on the interstates, if not more.

I had the cruise set at 80 bumping down 75 in the Mustang. It was nice :)

Next year will be bumping along 75 in the wagon.