Brian_05_SEL

Scarlett: 1987 Mercury Sable (A Low Mileage Survivor)

First test drive with the new axles installed:

th_MVI_7239.jpg

And here is Scarlett with some hand-me-down shoes from NOSHO:

IMG_7242.jpg

IMG_7245.jpg

Sorry, I don't think those wheels fit that car at all. :ugh:

I found out if I disco the power brake booster, and plug the line, idle drops from about 1500ish to 800ish and hiss goes away. So perhaps that is bad. Also, I still hear a minor hiss inside, so either the brake booster is bad, and then a 2nd issue, or they relate somehow.

The issues are related. Blown diaphragm in the booster. Issue with the cruise may be the general lack of vacuum (same source) to the unit. While booster hose is plugged, see if the cruise works. Probably will.

I suggested that to Brian. Cause yeah, it is a pretty big difference in idle with the booster disabled and plugged.

The other minor hiss is probably the parking brake popper on the backside of the steering column. I would run a new vacuum line from the booster to the interior. I seriously hope it doesn't have a bad booster. That job S U C K S on a FWD car, esp on a Taurus. There's no room.

Hey Kev! CONGRATS on the ride. It looks pretty cool with the "digi-dash". With some bodywork she'll be as good as new :party:

It's funny as Nick has an '87 Taurus (wagon), you just bought an '87 Sable, and I recently bought an '87 IROC-Z,

87 must have been a special year.

post-100-0-47078500-1353386139_thumb.jpg

Edited by michakaveli
  • Like 1

Also, the HVAC blend door runs off vacuum.

Sharp lookin' car, Brian. Great purchase. I'm in awe of the condition of the headlights and tail lights. And that digital dash...oof! It makes me think dirty, dirty things.

Interested in some period-appropriate shoes for Scarlett? I may have an idea... (and a set for sale) :makeadeal:

IMG_107122resize.jpg

Do it. ;)

• Like 1

First test drive with the new axles installed:

th_MVI_7239.jpg

And here is Scarlett with some hand-me-down shoes from NOSHO:

IMG_7242.jpg

IMG_7245.jpg

I might be mistaken but, the color on that car looks a whole lot like the paint on my wagon. Do you know the color code?

The exterior code says "54D".

It looks like I might be needing a new radiator for Scarlett- it leaks coolant. :( She's staying parked now until that work can be done...

Did it piss more out? :(

A lot, and it almost overheated on the way to work this morning. That's after two miles of driving.

Fun Fact, AutoZone rents out a Radiator Pressure tester. You apply pressure to coolant system, and perhaps you can see exactly where it is leaking. After you are done, you can return it.

If you want the macdaddy radiator for your Sable, you can get the oversize/overkill radiator: VISTA-PRO Part # 433891 {#891, 9891} W/H.D. COOLING; W/AC; W/MAX COOLING

Or for standard issue (factory setup): VISTA-PRO Part # 432192

Don't overheat the car man, it's not worth it...good to see you are parking it til that's fixed.

Don't be surprised if the trans cooler lines leak at the fittings and you need replacements. Use the Ford dealer fittings if they do leak. All 86 and 87 Tauruses have a true factory stacked plate cooler bolted to the subframe rail.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info, Nick. :) I've gotta figure out now when I can afford to order the replacement radiator and get going on this project...

Self service junkyard. All 86-95 bulls use the same radiator. :)

Self service junkyard. All 86-95 bulls use the same radiator. :)

Factory issue rad were plenty adequate. I had 3 Gen 1 and never had a heating issue except for the failed fan resistor which was a bad location thing.

Never replaced a rad or had one repaired.

No reason to fix what is not broken.

-chart-

That same rad is used in the SHO as well...mine has never gotten hot, excluding the day the fan motor locked up.

Ohhh Josh just reminded me.

You should check out your fan, fire car up, unplug ECT. Check to see how much wobble the fan has and how much racket its making. if it wobbles and/or is making bad bearing sounds, you need a new motor.

Luckily there's a factory equivalent plug and play (no wiring splicing necessary) on Rock for under $20.

It seems like the rads have a varying degree of longevity depending on climate and cooling system maintenance. My 2000 still has the original rad. According to maintenance records, the rad I installed was #3 on the station wagon. About every 100K miles or so.

My 94 and 92 never overheated during my times caring for them, and you know how hard I am on a car engine...

If the same motor is used on the 87 sable vulcan as on the 92 then I have a brand new one that was used for about 30 minutes....I'd let it go pretty cheap, probably for the cost of USPS shipping. My plastic blade was warped which caused a vibration so I just bought a whole new assembly instead of tracking down another blade. (Don't dishwasher the fan blade.....I'm pretty sure that's what caused mine to warp)

Jef

I got to see the car in person on Monday. Pretty sweet. Just makes me wanna have my own garage so I can store a second car.

Anyways I found a rebuilt 97 SHO motor and trans. http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/bar/3412698775.html

Nice find in fairly decent shape. I have one at home almost identical with a few more options. Is that not Bright Red Clearcoat Metallic instead of Medium Cabernet though? I don't think Medium Cabernet was a color option for 1987, I think that came in 1988. Also where did you find the exact build date of your cars?

• Like 1

Nice find in fairly decent shape. I have one at home almost identical with a few more options. Is that not Bright Red Clearcoat Metallic instead of Medium Cabernet though? I don't think Medium Cabernet was a color option for 1987, I think that came in 1988. Also where did you find the exact build date of your cars?

Tag in pic attached.

Date is upper left.

Should be on driver's door.

-chart-