Scarlett: 1987 Mercury Sable (A Low Mileage Survivor)

• Replies 765
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Many consider it a disposable car, but considering the profound effect that car had on the 80s - it's worth entry at a car show. Especially considering something like 1 in 8 D186 platform cars produ

Update as of 2019. Our original intent to have the entire car painted is dead. I ended up purchasing a 1990 with no dents or rust and that is the perfect candidate for complete overhaul. Scarlet is

Thanks, guys! It wasn't really until these last couple of weeks, around the time that Jeff was coming up here to visit, that I've really given that much thought to how incredibly rare and special my c

Posted Images

And at most, it's about $250 that they are spending on performing this subframe recall. Then it's finished forever. ******* corporate greed culture in this country, folks.

The recall kit is available in the aftermarket, but at $106.99/side....its a bit pricey. Dont let them tell you they dont make the required parts because I just looked them up in my parts catalog. Moog K8737 is still available.

EDIT That is the front kit...no rear kit listed :/

Jeff

:rolleyes:

There is not a published expiration date on Ford safety recalls. It just becomes whatever arbitrary timeframe the dealership decides to stick with to screw you over. According to every single piece of documentation that both Ford and NHTSA have published regarding this matter, the subframe mounts must be repaired at Ford's cost- no matter what the age of the car. That is why I am fighting this. They can't claim that what is written in plain English on their own publications is false.

:rolleyes:

There is not a published expiration date on Ford safety recalls. It just becomes whatever arbitrary timeframe the dealership decides to stick with to screw you over. According to every single piece of documentation that both Ford and NHTSA have published regarding this matter, the subframe mounts must be repaired at Ford's cost- no matter what the age of the car. That is why I am fighting this. They can't claim that what is written in plain English on their own publications is false.

The cruise cable recall on the Tecs has an expiration date in 2015.

Have you seen the actual recall notice?

Also, while it stinks, its a 1987. Its twenty six years old.

http://www.nesho.com/98S36.pdf

Yes. Yes, I have.

It's 26 years and 7 months old as of today, in fact.

After already disagreeing with the dealer I'd be worried about them messing with the car and trying to screw you over by attempting to sabotage something.  Best to try a few more dealers.

• Like 1

Yeah, something told me Ford doesn't care about those older cars anymore. The recall is over 14 years old, perhaps statute of limitation has ran out?

Could try calling a better dealership too, Bob Rohrman is an asshole. Try Cotton Ford in Carol Stream? I've had good luck with their parts people at least...

Yep I remember getting that very same letter in the mail back in the '90's.  But I don't remember the part where it specifies the states. Which is weird because we took ours in and had the recall done without question. In Arizona! 

^ This is why their resistance is even more stupid. The mere existence of this car and the obvious fact that it has no floor holes from previously installing the recall kit should have been enough.

I'm interested in hearing any reply they have for you lol.

Hi Brian,

I was able to look up some information on this recall and I'd like to see if I can dig deeper. All recalls are VIN specific and in this case the vehicle in question will have had to been originally sold in or registered in specific states by 1998. Send me your VIN in a private message and I can look into this further.

Meagan

Ford Service

That response was left today from one of their FB social media reps. I sent her a private message with the information requested.

Hmmmm. Makes me wonder where my wagon originally came from.

Check the DSO code on the door label, that'll tell you what region it was originally ordered for.

• Like 1

The code is only two digits.

Sometimes Ford arranged the codes on the decal in an odd manner (like putting the spring codes under "transmission"), it might be before and/or above the "DSO" letters.

List of North American Ford DSO codes by region: http://www.mercurypickup.com/dsocodes.htm

Unfortunately, Ford changed around the DSO codes over the years and I haven't been able to find a complete listing online for anything beyond the '60s.

From a 1995 shop manual:

11 - Boston

13 - New York

16 - Philadelphia

21 - Atlanta

23 - Memphis

24 - Orlando

27 - Washington

36 - Philadelphia (L-M)

38 - Atlanta (L-M)

41 - Chicago

44 - Pittsburgh

47 - Cincinnati

48 - Detroit

52 - Dallas

53 - Kansas City

56 - Denver

58 - Twin Cities

64 - Detroit (L-M)

71 - Los Angeles

72 - San Francisco

73 - Denver (L-M)

74 - Seattle

75 - Los Angeles (L-M)

78 - Dallas (L-M)

83 - Government

84 - Home Office Reserve

85 - American Red Cross

86 - Recreational Vehicle Pool

87 - Body Company

89 - Transportation Services

9A - Export

Canada has their own set of codes as well.

Edited by Stocker
  • Like 1

In the meantime, I did finish another mod tonight. Front seat passenger assist handles, which were found by Sean in a Currant Red interior'd Gen 1. These handles (and other miscellaneous interior trim items that will be revealed later) will be repainted the correct (lighter shade) Scarlet Red at some time in the future, though.

a259ef40ae39b9fd0c4025038e80e413_zpsc16f

cbc06fedf821481b756aced1b7d3e117_zps926a

• Like 2