Brian_05_SEL

Scarlett: 1987 Mercury Sable (A Low Mileage Survivor)

Here are the new taillamps:

fab2a297e657b6a484681d9b57107cf4_zps40cf08b6.jpg

B)

Sexy!

• Like 1

Besides new wheels and tires- which greatly improved the ride quality, handling, and braking, to my own astonishment- Scarlett got a secret upgrade this afternoon that only Jeff has seen so far. :ph34r: i will post some pictures of this later this evening... ;)

c334e30beb94a55b474cf2107b06f52a_zps6f486013.jpg

• Like 1

Secret ingredient is...

:ph34r:

B)

New interior door handles!

b09deeb0d89886852396c3a9d4f60350_zps6f5ff5fe.jpg

d91fee2c047a5e758a5049b494fc041b_zps0790e103.jpg

These aren't 'chrome' plastic, either. They are made from some hefty metal with real chrome plating. :D They are easily triple the weight of the original plastic handles.

• Like 2

Door handles the way they were meant to be. Me likey. :thumbs:

That's some sexy chrome bling for the 'ol girl there Brian..... Those chrome rims sure look good from here. :notworthy:

They really do set off the interior very well and shouldve came that way given the doorpanel beltline chrome trim and the other chrome trim inside the car....Brian is just addressing some of fords oversights. This is going to be one of the most pristine sables of this generation. Definitely the most striking color combo Ive seen to date. Kevs wagon aint too shabby either. Those leather buckets are really comfortable, too.

Jeff

• Like 1

I'll sell you the leather buckets, floor shifter, and console :P

Thanks to you, of course. :notworthy:

Dude your car didn't have chrome handles STOCK? WTF.

The Taurus LX had them. Wish I knew - I had a coffee can full of them, and gave them to double negative lol.

Mucho bettero now.

Nope, these are the originals.

IMG_7203.jpg

Shame on Ford - they should have provided chrome.

Oh well looks good man!!!

• Like 2

Wow... the black accents really change the look of those wheels. Nice!

• Like 1

Have you seen the nos left and right 86-88 sable headlights on ebay for relatively cheap money? you could hoard them for scarlett.....just in case.

Jeff

Thanks for the heads up. I bookmarked them. :) That's the same vendor with the NOS Ghia power-folding mirrors that I grabbed before. ;)

Chrome looks so good on Scarlett.

• Like 1

Thanks, guys! It wasn't really until these last couple of weeks, around the time that Jeff was coming up here to visit, that I've really given that much thought to how incredibly rare and special my car truly is. I guess it hadn't really registered before that what I'm restoring has true appeal. And switching to these SHO Chromies and new tires has vastly altered my driving experience with the car. It's like a whole new era after so many months of frustration, stress, and- worst of all- the waiting. :(

At the local car show I posted a separate thread for the other night, I was actually invited to bring it over from the outer section of the parking lot (that all of us spectators were using) and to park Scarlett next to the J-bodies and a C4 convertible. Invited by the owners of each of those cars! And the white Sunbird's owner and his girlfriend were genuinely interested in seeing and hearing all about this project thus far. :D The guy with the gray Cavalier, and his 80 year old father (who owns the spectacular red '51 Ford Custom :wub:), were both impressed that someone has put so much effort into preserving a car that they both loved the styling of in it's day. I really do think I want to start doing a few more shows... after some additional cosmetic mods and repairs have been dealt with, of course.

• Like 3

Thanks, guys! It wasn't really until these last couple of weeks, around the time that Jeff was coming up here to visit, that I've really given that much thought to how incredibly rare and special my car truly is. I guess it hadn't really registered before that what I'm restoring has true appeal. And switching to these SHO Chromies and new tires has vastly altered my driving experience with the car. It's like a whole new era after so many months of frustration, stress, and- worst of all- the waiting. :(

At the local car show I posted a separate thread for the other night, I was actually invited to bring it over from the outer section of the parking lot (that all of us spectators were using) and to park Scarlett next to the J-bodies and a C4 convertible. Invited by the owners of each of those cars! And the white Sunbird's owner and his girlfriend were genuinely interested in seeing and hearing all about this project thus far. :D The guy with the gray Cavalier, and his 80 year old father (who owns the spectacular red '51 Ford Custom :wub:), were both impressed that someone has put so much effort into preserving a car that they both loved the styling of in it's day. I really do think I want to start doing a few more shows... after some additional cosmetic mods and repairs have been dealt with, of course.

Please do! That would be pretty cool. I'd like to hear what people would have to say about it.

• Like 1

Many consider it a disposable car, but considering the profound effect that car had on the 80s - it's worth entry at a car show. Especially considering something like 1 in 8 D186 platform cars produced were Sables. The Sable light bar, the wrap around back glass, the different interior/exterior - it definitely set it apart from the Taurus.

The late arrived GM FWD cars were not as ground breaking as the Taurus - Ford really did change the game up. I'll argue that the 3800 in those FWD GM cars was the better motor, but the build quality overall was junk, esp with seat belts in the doors, warping defrost grilles/dash pads, etc.

When you think about what people were driving around in the 80s...underpowered, restricted Oldsmobile 307 powered cars - Taurus/Sable looked like spaceships. To many it was a breath of fresh air.

I am growing to like RWD more and more, but that 87 wagon I sold to d-n has to be one of the best handling and driving Tauruses I've ever ...well driven. A very strong, tight chassis, stout vehicle. Hopefully yours is or will be the same as you slowly go through the car with time. So enjoy it!! And don't drive it in the salt!!!

• Like 4

Hopefully this motivates you more Brian to fix the rust!!! :P

• Like 3

Oh believe me, I'm motivated. I'm trying to be the kind of owner that this car deserves. ;)

• Like 1

Some updated interior shots...

9b2b2a2d7333b6ede37d2b492b2e5c9a_zps20a7d843.jpg

6b366cd4a8921dd4bc27b46b7a5e277d_zpsb59a2d48.jpg

6e15c0fa603f1bcb15de080ca20e21e0_zps799c5aa1.jpg

746c61204cf281a8e7526a9fdec2fb9a_zps3457c530.jpg

928032e8d14571e1d817e15ea7d8d1a9_zpsbc842f24.jpg

d2b9e88579531485f516ed1336b54f09_zps5abe7192.jpg

Dang just look at that back seat, looks so plush and comfy. I wish my wagon had the flip down armrest in the rear bench.

• Like 1

Earlier tonight, I picked up the two replacement CV axles. Still need to collect some assorted parts and fluids in preparation for the first round of needed service.

My mom's '94 continental had the same rear parcel shelf and combo vanity mirrors. I really miss that car.