Brian_05_SEL

Scarlett: 1987 Mercury Sable (A Low Mileage Survivor)

I thought I had a couple of good spares I had yanked at the yards. Looked closer and one of the filaments was burned out. Ugh.

Easy to replace. Stab the bulb with a screwdriver to wedge it into the plastic. That way it pops out easily.

Stupid design.

I thought I had a couple of good spares I had yanked at the yards. Looked closer and one of the filaments was burned out. Ugh.

Easy to replace. Stab the bulb with a screwdriver to wedge it into the plastic. That way it pops out easily.

Stupid design.

Sometimes the change things from stupid to nice.

Headlamp switch on my G-4 is a trick.

Maybe 30 seconds at the JY with only a screw driver to pry, and diags to cut the wires.

Especially when the wind started to blow and the cold got to me.

That is a nice idea.

-chart-

next time you're at the yard Chart...check out a 3rd Generation and 4th Generation Taurus/Sable light switch. Feel how it clicks. The 4th Gen one feels like it's connected to nothing and will break off. The 3rd Gen one feels like it's connected to something...has a nice solid click to it.

Stupid design.

So, do you have a working bulb for me to procure when I'm down south? :unsure:

So, do you have a working bulb for me to procure when I'm down south? :unsure:

What a difference one day can make. I found a vendor that has over a hundred of these early Gen clock bulbs in stock, two are currently in transit to me now. :D

What a difference one day can make. I found a vendor that has over a hundred of these early Gen clock bulbs in stock, two are currently in transit to me now. :D

Nice, care to share the vendor info? :D

Nice, care to share the vendor info? :D

No secrets. ;) "Green Sales" at the link below has them for $5 each. I figured two new clock bulbs should last me for a long time.

http://www.rearcounter.com/E6DZ-13B765-E-parts212880.html

next time you're at the yard Chart...check out a 3rd Generation and 4th Generation Taurus/Sable light switch. Feel how it clicks. The 4th Gen one feels like it's connected to nothing and will break off. The 3rd Gen one feels like it's connected to something...has a nice solid click to it.

G-3 HL switch removal is quite a trick.

I am fine with the G-4 with autolamp.

However, first time to remove one and I got injured.

Still hurts.

Off for 60 mile run this am.

-chart-

My Deluxe Build Sheet just arrived in the mail on some nice Ford letterhead. :D

See the corrected build date in my signature below. Options selected are the electronic instrument cluster, rear defroster, 6-way power driver's seat, leather-wrapped steering wheel with cruise control, electronic AM/FM stereo with cassette and Premium Sound package, power door locks, clearcoat metallic paint, 15” steel wheels with trim covers, exterior paint pin-striping, and the extended range fuel tank (18.6 gallons vs. a 16 gallon standard tank). Scarlett is officially one of 91,001 total Sable 4-doors that were produced in the 1987 model year. B) Her original MSRP would have been $16,011.

The new clock bulbs were actually also waiting on my doorstep today! :o

Time:

3554067c545c9ea19757ca57ac328138_zps03b4ebd4.jpg

Date:

151cd3b8d54569cd802eccf6abc977a0_zpsa542e5d1.jpg

:)

build sheet pix? what about production breakdown details?

Build sheet is printed with my home address deets. :ph34r:

The only production figures it offers: 121,313 Sables produced (91,001 total Sedans). So, anyone else with a Taurus/Sable considering a build sheet from "Shop Ford Gear" should probably stick with the Basic version to save some money. The stats they kept for our cars aren't very thorough...

:) Yes, my Sable has wood.

:P

:ph34r:

Build sheet is printed with my home address deets. :ph34r:

The only production figures it offers: 121,313 Sables produced (91,001 total Sedans). So, anyone else with a Taurus/Sable considering a build sheet from "Shop Ford Gear" should probably stick with the Basic version to save some money. The stats they kept for our cars aren't very thorough...

Press Windows Key + R, and then type MSPAINT, then cover up the address. Problem solved :)

Press Windows Key + R, and then type MSPAINT, then cover up the address. Problem solved :)

None of my business but:

Hey, my 1986 IBM ehnanced keyboard does not have a "windows" key.

Some things are just too good to change. :nutkick:

-chart-

Yeah, my IBM Model M keyboard lacks it too. Best keyboard ever built.

modelm.jpg

However, I know Brian lacks an IBM Model M, and I know Brian's Dell Inspiron laptop does have the Windows key ;)

Yeah, my IBM Model M keyboard lacks it too. Best keyboard ever built.

modelm.jpg

However, I know Brian lacks an IBM Model M, and I know Brian's Dell Inspiron laptop does have the Windows key ;)

Few thing are designed really good, day one. Gen-1 Bull is one.

The keyboard IMB is one.

My Bulls rusted out and went on to my daughters.

Keyboard do not rust, little maint.

And that is a pencil holder designed in. (I know that calendar is 2012)

-chart-

Edited by -chart-
  • Like 1

What makes you think I'm posting from a Windows laptop, Kev? ;)

Well, you should use it. Windows is amazing.

And Chart, what a wonderful keyboard. You got good taste in luxury, and keyboards, and that's good enough for me :thumb:

But all that dirt in there, should clean it and get a nice cover. :P

• Like 1

Well, you should use it. Windows is amazing.

And Chart, what a wonderful keyboard. You got good taste in luxury, and keyboards, and that's good enough for me :thumb:

But all that dirt in there, should clean it and get a nice cover. :P

I do not cover mine, but I do clean it. Got 2 grandsons that use this and my both computers. No One eats in the computer room. Not even me.

I clean my keys and borders with household ammonia and a stiff brush. Small brush. Then wipe the surface clean. This was my first keyboard at work when I got IMB PC. As time passed and we got newer computers, with keyboards, I kept this one. Eventually when they got rid of all the old keyboards I got a second one before they tossed them out.

Two things stay clean in my work areas. My Atlas lathe (1950 6") and my keyboard.

Everything in my shop and computer room/office is a mess.

Because I mentioned my lathe, and ammonia for cleaning: att a pic of my lathe cleaning oil stain from it with ammonia.

Just wipe it on and wipe the stain off.

No need to rise or wipe.

-chart-

Must be the shadow, because inside the keys, like mainly around Ctrl and Alt and the spacebar. Looks like a ton of dust. I eat around mine, drink, I've spilled food on it, but thanks to the cover, my IBM is left unharmed. And I clean it once a week anyway because I hate germs. The key caps should be able to pull off to easily clean inside :)

Must be the shadow, because inside the keys, like mainly around Ctrl and Alt and the spacebar. Looks like a ton of dust. I eat around mine, drink, I've spilled food on it, but thanks to the cover, my IBM is left unharmed. And I clean it once a week anyway because I hate germs. The key caps should be able to pull off to easily clean inside :)

Most people today never heard of key caps.

Back in the day, pranksters used to pop some off and put them in different locations, only one or two.

Of course back then you could order the keys with different caps and different response to different keys.

Happy keying.

-chart-

Back in the day, pranksters used to pop some off and put them in different locations, only one or two.

Oh that still happens Chart. I'd say a 1/5 of the computers in my school have "altered" keys.