Brian_05_SEL

Scarlett: 1987 Mercury Sable (A Low Mileage Survivor)

Of ALSFBs?

Yes

• Like 1

Sold, haha.

Recently replaced the UIM on my Sable with a new-in-box complete OEM assembly. :) Once the PCM went through a hard reset and relearned normal idle speed, it's driving smoother than ever and seems to accelerate slightly better than before too. Not bad for a 28YO 140hp Vulcan. :P

post-3-0-88435100-1410106876_thumb.jpg

post-3-0-35100300-1410106892_thumb.jpg

post-3-0-62440600-1410106904_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Michakaveli can always chime in with more details on his process, but this weekend my Sable received a multi-stage paint correction treatment followed by Opti-Coat on pretty much every surface except the front windshield to seal this greatly improved appearance from elements for the long term. B) Until now, I have never been able to see my own reflection in this car's painted surfaces. Now... the pictures pretty much speak for themselves.

post-3-0-54091500-1413778436_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

:o  That's better than the paint on my car!

Lookin' sharp!

• Like 1

:o  That's better than the paint on my car!

Lookin' sharp!

This is what you missed. ;)

Ka ka chow!

post-3-0-97272400-1413897061_thumb.jpg

Saw you pulling into your house a week or two ago. The tint is lookimg good :)

I spent most of yesterday afternoon outside cleaning the car, finally organizing the stuff I carry in the trunk and removing trash like old shipping boxes from Rock Auto parts and miscellaneous junk paper, and swapping the wheels/tires. 

This topic thread is essentially finished as of today, at least from my point of view, since this 1987 Sable LS has been driven off into the sunset towards her new home in Michigan. I've really enjoyed owning this car for the last three years, and am looking forward to the new experience of being able to watch as another member of this club continues with her basic care and restoration.

B) I'll miss you, Scarlett.

Kind of sad to see this, but can understand completely. Plans for replacements?

Jeff

No plans at this time. I cancelled my insurance coverage for Scarlett and mailed the reassignment of title form to the IL Secretary of State to officially release my ownership liabilities for the car.

No plans at this time. I cancelled my insurance coverage for Scarlett and mailed the reassignment of title form to the IL Secretary of State to officially release my ownership liabilities for the car.

In NY you take your plates to the license place, any one, give them $1 and hand them your plates. They put them in a lockbox and remove your reg from the computer, and give you a statement that lets you cancel your ins. Plates will be destroyed and your number will be recycled after 1 year rest period.

Then the state will send you a renewal for your car that is not reg and plates that are delisted, and want $65 to renew your car reg for the car that is not there any more. Guess it keeps the USPS in business. And for extra $$ you can get mustard color plates for the car that does not exist and for more $$ on top, you can have the old plate numbers.

-chart-

I received two envelopes from State Farm this week. One was a check for about $60- the pro-rated refund for my unused premiums from the '87 Sable's insurance policy (would have expired in November). 

The other was a bill for about $30 on my wagon's insurance policy, due to the removal of a multi-car discount... well f**k you, too, State Farm.  :Picard2:  :rant:  :banghead:

I received two envelopes from State Farm this week. One was a check for about $60- the pro-rated refund for my unused premiums from the '87 Sable's insurance policy (would have expired in November). 

The other was a bill for about $30 on my wagon's insurance policy, due to the removal of a multi-car discount... well f**k you, too, State Farm.  :Picard2:  :rant:  :banghead:

Like a good neighbour...

• Like 2

Wouldn't it... Just make more sense to have them deduct the money from the check, then mail you the refund?

You gotta look into Allstate... :P

And trust me, with Allstate, money is going all over the place with how my cars change every so often :lol:

One day a car is activated, one day it's suspended. I love how flexible they've been with me lol

Hey guys,

Sorry for such a late response

I can now say its ME...its mine...ALLL MINE...lol

no really, im the one that bought it. I haven't been on at all lately...Im suddenly finding myself in the prospects of purchasing a business. So ive been a bit busy...not really busy....mostly suppressing the urge to upchuck at the thought of owning my own business. :icon_redface:  Both exciting and terrifying....

Pretty much nothing has been done to the car since its arrival as Ive been swamped at both work and working out this business deal among other things. She's finally plated and insured but I haven't been driving much at all due to the tint issue. If I do take her out its windows down. really....there isn't much time left for me to drive her anyways as winter is beginning to rear its ugly head. Any further updates shall go right in this here thread...so its not really dead....

Anyways, I now have 3 Gen 1 Sables. A bit crazy..yes....kinda cool...of course. However, if this business sale goes through Im basically going to have 0 money as it will have to be dumped right back into it to ensure viability. Perhaps a nice 1990 Gen 1 will soon be on the market :makeadeal:  (if you happen to know anyone interested.......) But that's for another time....anyways....

I have to admit....the red on this car with the original Gen 1 front end and chrome wheels gets a lot of looks......whether they're good or not...who knows....but it definetely is an attention grabber :icon_mrgreen:

• Like 3

Has it really been almost 2 years?

Anyways, I thought I'd post something seeing as I've just lurked now for a while. This car is still on the road and looks as good as the day I bought it. I ended up selling my 89 LS but took the old basket weave rims with me. I thought having an original rim set would be best. I've been itching to do a little paint work on the bumpers and trim. New K&N intake and some basic changes here and there.

I do have an issue though. I'm hoping someone has an answer for the digital clusters. A little while back it had started to flash on and off here and there. Now, its off about 95% of the time. I also kept getting weird readings where it would gauge the speed at 10 mph then flash to 188 mph. We disconnected it and tested all the innards and corrected any issues, but still no luck. Could it be a possible grounding issue or perhaps another sensor somewhere else? The voltage regulator wasn't testing correctly so I have another one to replace it. Just curious if anyone has experience with these being faulty and maybe has an answer. Interestingly, my 89 was having the same issues.

18157810_10154583174067473_5888996621649454521_n.jpg

Not sure about what's causing the digital cluster to do that, but I always suspected a grounding issue in that assembly due to the mechanical fuel level gauge also working intermittently. 

It's really good to see that old girl again, though. :) Don't be a stranger here anymore. 

Yeah, I went awol for a while, but I'm back!

Hmmm, I did read somewhere that it could potentially be the speed sensor. We need to check the wiring diagram to see if that is a possibility.

After much deliberation we've decided to go ahead and actually do a new paint job. Which means we will be attacking and ridding this car of rust once and for all....also means a lot of body work too :wacko: My 90 hasn't been on the road in at least two years and has rusted pretty bad, so it will donate its parts to ensure long life to this one. Which leads to the question.....what color?

I like the red, but if we're starting from scratch might as well consider our options. I've been thinking with the super red interior a nice glossy black would be real nice. I've only viewed this car in black in one commercial and in the brochures and love it...would look real nice with the all new headlight set I have for this...seems like people only ever chose white, that weird blue, or red. Whatever color we choose, it certainly is time if this thing is going to stay around a while.

She got the royal treatment today of a hand wash :)

19905040_10154798897117473_9045888167031448483_n.jpg

• Like 2

With a red interior, there's about four exterior color combinations that would flow nicely. Black, white, red, and silver. Black, white, and silver could all use a dark red pinstripe in OE fashion. If silver was used, I would consider a dark tone silver. However, silver might be a bit too much in the gray department, though, given the bumpers being black and gray. If done properly, it still would be fine.

• Like 1

If you must repaint the car in a different color than the original red, I would go with black.