• Announcements

• Sean T.

Having trouble logging in after the update?   04/25/16

After the forum update, you need to use your displayed name as your login. Your password should remain the same. If you are still having trouble, please e-mail Sean at [email protected] and he can reset your password.
    • Sean T.

Help Support TSOC by Making a Donation!   01/29/17

TSOC is funded by donations only. The operating expenses for TSOC are about $320 annually for hosting, domains, and IP Board license renewals. Support from our members is greatly appreciated! As always, we are grateful for ANY and ALL donations! From $1.00 to $100.00, anything you give will support the forums and community experience. At any time, you are free to make a standard donation towards our operating expenses. Surplus funds will stay with the forum for next year, so even if it appears we have enough cash on hand, we're always in need of donations! When you make a donation towards our operating expenses, your membership will automatically upgrade based on your donation amount. (Please see the link below for more info)     Click HERE to learn more about our membership levels!  
    • Sean T.

!!! *** Known Issue for New Member Sign-Up *** !!!   04/20/17

It has been brought to our attention that new members are unable to sign up. Producing an error code EX1364. We are aware of the issue and are working to resolve it. In the mean time, if you encounter this error, please send a message using the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the page, and we will contact you when it has been resolved.
Brian_05_SEL

Scarlett: 1987 Mercury Sable (A Low Mileage Survivor)

762 posts in this topic

Haha, good point on the ashtray. :P It doesn't have as much grunt as I'm used to (now I've had four Bulls with the Vulcan- '87, '96, '02, and '05), but 140hp is still decent motivation for this car's weight. Not aware of any past collision damage, no. :( If so, it seems like that fender was the only thing that was affected.

Hey, what I do need at this point (besides that spare dimmer switch, Nick ;) ) is the round louvered air register that sits to the left of the instrument cluster. You may be able to see in the photos above that some of the louver flaps are gone. The driver's seat belt assembly in red, if you can actually find a donor car in this color (unlikely, I know). Full set of the four pop-up lockpins in the doors (in black).

And I found this online last night, gotta share it:

Mercury-Sable-Gen1.jpg

Doesn't appear to have SAS...somebody replace the springs already?

The suspension is all-original. ;) Remember, it was driven by an elderly woman and only has 56k and change miles now.

THat's one thing I noticed. The AXOD/1st gen Vulcan doesn't quite have the authority or oomph like a later model Vulcan. But it's still good enough for driving around town.

I've had two guys who are big into RWD cars from the 60s, like Galaxies, come up to me when getting gas and say that the wagon has a cool exhaust sound, :lol:

Ah man! I threw out a spare 86 Sable dash trim with vents back in February. All the vents were good. Maybe I still have some, I'll check my garage. I think I saved the vents but launched the dash trim (it was beige).

I forget what year Ford started offering a black interior, but I doubt I'll find any unless you do some plastic painting. if I find an 86-88 red belt, i'll grab it (good way to practice fixing the spring loaded tensioner.

I'll be out in the garage tomorrow and Friday night, so I'll check on stuff then.

When I am home next week I will be going to the junkyard for a set of original battery cables so I will keep an eye out for any gen 1 cars for you Brian.

I forget what year Ford started offering a black interior, but I doubt I'll find any unless you do some plastic painting. if I find an 86-88 red belt, i'll grab it (good way to practice fixing the spring loaded tensioner.

I know for the SHO the first year for all black interior was 90, and the last year was 93. Was it even offered on the regular models and Sable?

Man that interior looks pretty great for an 87! Good buy man. Only thing I have never liked on cars is when the body covers the rear wheels at all.

I know they had black interiors for the SLOs in 1990-1993. I need to dig out my brochures from the 80s and check.

Brian!

It's absolutely beautiful! I hope everything goes smooth on her! Looks like it was taken care of pretty well cosmetically. I hope it's not a fighter(towards repair) like mine was! lol Nearly every Sable I've seen in junkyards appear to have collision damage on the RF and my car also had the same type of damage on the RF, but it extended into the front door more severely than that. Beautiful car none the less! Don't give up on it!

Jeff

1 person likes this

Are you missing two hubcaps lol? Gonna throw some 16" 6 spoke from a gen 4 on there?

Edited by breeves002

Yes, I have a set of 16" Sable 7-spoke alloys that were factory equipment on my '05 (fleet cars frequently got the leftover stock of wheels). Same style that's on your 2000, actually.

The dashboard was revised a few times for Gen 1 and Gen 2 cars, IIRC.

The plan is to keep this car for cruising, tinkering, and the fun and sense of accomplishment that will come with restoring it to better condition (in time). I think my GF will like that it has the split front bench, too. :mj_banana:

Yeah, the red is actually starting to grow on me already. It's very 80's chic, along with other aspects of the overall Gen 1 Sable design. Old school class, yet timeless. B)

After examining the car and negotiating what it was worth considering that some work will be necessary before I can DD it, I paid $1,000 cash for it and have the title and a signed bill of sale in my possession as we speak.

My experience with three of them. '87, '88, '90. All used high miles, all passed on to my daughters.

The weak rear springs did not happen to the early ones. Little chance of SAS.

The front springs did not break. That started later in the years, maybe '02.

I replaced all the rear struts at about 100K. They just started leaking oil and got mushy.

CV boots cracked and leaked and all needed replaced. Early years rubber was not all that good.

Sway bar links failed early, like before 100K.

The PCV line, the steel one from the valve to the intake may get plugged up and cause bad idle.

I ran old speedometer cable through one and spun it with carb cleaner to open it up.

When you pull the oil fill you can see the inside. If it is clean, your PCV line will likely be OK.

The real pain for me was the pinch bolts on the spindle to struts. They get in bad shape and others have had them broken when removal.

On my '03, I removed the bolts and replaced them when I did the wheel cylinders. That was last year and they were still hard to remove with impact wrench.

The rear wheel cylinders also fail with age.

It looks like a keeper to me.

-chart-

Yes, I have a set of 16" Sable 7-spoke alloys that were factory equipment on my '05 (fleet cars frequently got the leftover stock of wheels). Same style that's on your 2000, actually.

If one could find original 15" basket alloys, that would be era correct. Do not know if 16" would clear.

-chart-

Not a fan of 15" or smaller wheels, personally. And since I *already* have the 16's, that's one less expense to worry about at the moment... :P

Well assuming the 16" fit! Hopefully you won't need a lower profile tire to make them fit that would be a waste of money.

Not a fan of 15" or smaller wheels, personally. And since I *already* have the 16's, that's one less expense to worry about at the moment... :P

Pic is what was on Sables of that era.

Guess I am a fan of this design.

Just looks right.

-chart-

Maybe it's cuz you're old chart! ;)

Edited by breeves002

Gen 3 SHO rims and tires fit fine on my 89 SHO. The tires (225s) are very close to the wheel arches (say 2-3 mm at most) I would think the 7 spokes would fit fine, they fit on Jareds gen 2 with gen 4 size tires, they do look a little big with those tires though.

1 person likes this

Well guys, what I have are 16x6" wheels shod with 225/50R16 Nittos. By my math, they would actually be a little smaller in diameter than the current 205/65R15's (roughly 25" vs 25.5").

Oh and something else I wanted to point out- those lamp lenses are pristine! Most older cars in this region have yellowed, hazy lenses. But my original 1987 head- and taillamps are still beautiful. :wub:

Maybe it's cuz you're old chart! ;)

Better to be old than to not be.

-chart-

I would think the 7 spokes would fit fine, they fit on Jareds gen 2 with gen 4 size tires, they do look a little big with those tires though.

Yessir.

Brian, for reference on the G2 body with sable 16's:

62083_322207237877795_101395401_n.jpg

Or for a bit of a different touch, Gen 4 rims off a 2000 taurus. i found out it was a double ought as my old steelies cleared the calipers :P.

here are the G4 wheels with HUGE tires on. i think dem b***hes are some 225/65/16's haha. i cant run these G4's on my G2, as my pinch bolt broke off and the strut moved a hair down, thus the drivers rear tire rubs the strut perch. damn thing lol:

306655_328496887248830_975524501_n.jpg

$had3 :ford::merc::Shady_J:

WOW, I think those sable rims look GREAT on your g2!

1 person likes this

I have these items, that will be installed on the Sable soon. Also picked up a new radiator cap, and have some other miscellaneous items such as switches coming...

IMG_7218.jpg

Glad to see the Sable is in great hands. :)

Watching this thread.... closely. (I hope to do this exact thing in a few years when out of college!)

1 person likes this