Brian_05_SEL

Scarlett: 1987 Mercury Sable (A Low Mileage Survivor)

Sold separately, but luckily I know a guy. :ph34r: *cough* Jeff... :P

• Like 1

I got bored after work and decided to go ahead and replace the TFI module today, instead of waiting until the weekend. :P

post-3-0-34012600-1401330241_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I got bored after work and decided to go ahead and replace the TFI module today, instead of waiting until the weekend. :P

Nice socket they sell. Handy.

Highly likely a one use need.

Added a pic of my home made one, long ago.

Hope your fix works well.

-chart-

I had replaced the bulbs across the whole front end (except inside the Laser Lamp bar) with new ones and brighter SilverStar units. The original bulbs were getting dim- and had no amber coating left in the case of my front turn signals. Turns out that these were all factory-original, since they still had this awful peanut butter-like installation paste inside each socket. :puke:

I had replaced the bulbs across the whole front end (except inside the Laser Lamp bar) with new ones and brighter SilverStar units. The original bulbs were getting dim- and had no amber coating left in the case of my front turn signals. Turns out that these were all factory-original, since they still had this awful peanut butter-like installation paste inside each socket. :puke:

58618600-1401924559_zps8d9dfde7.jpg

1310650820313_zps92d64e63.jpg

• Like 1

I worked on the driver's seat belt retractor this evening after work, and it appears to be working as well as the front passenger belt now. Before, it would be very lethargic about removing slack or pulling the belt back in when I released it to step out of the car.

And the '87 will now be down for a few days/weeks until I can finish with an oil and filter change, and to get new serpentine belts and a new hood insulation blanket taken care of. Time off from work/family stuff in June will have to dictate this.

Next upcoming mod... tint. :ph34r:

I worked on the driver's seat belt retractor this evening after work, and it appears to be working as well as the front passenger belt now. Before, it would be very lethargic about removing slack or pulling the belt back in when I released it to step out of the car.

For what it is worth. I try to use paste wax on my belts every time I vacuum the floor. Maybe once a month. Makes a difference.

Had lots of problems with the previous Lin Cont as I hauled 2 grandsons in car seats to day care, play school, and pre school. So 3 years apart, one here, one there, pick up one, pick up two. When you pull them all the way out, the rachet back for latching. Then they forget to let go when needed. (rears) Long before I traded it, the labels gone, and the stop button on the driver's front gone. There are "miles" and there is "USE". Odometer tells miles, but visual tells USE.

Oh yes, grandsons now 11 and 14. Now only in the car maybe once a week. And remember, the car seats, booster seats and such really take a toll on the seats.

My days of that are GONE!

-chart-

Whatever works.

-chart-

And the '87 will now be down for a few days/weeks until I can finish with an oil and filter change, and to get new serpentine belts and a new hood insulation blanket taken care of. Time off from work/family stuff in June will have to dictate this.

Next upcoming mod... tint. :ph34r:

Ah.... Gotta love that privacy. ...

What shade(s) are you planning?

Ceramic film, in the darkest legal grade for my home state- 35% front and back. The windshield has a factory strip over the AS1 line, so only the 4 door and 3 rear window panes will be tinted.

• Like 2

That tint will give it a nice wrap-around effect. B)

• Like 1

I want to see tints on this car... It'll look great. :D

• Like 1

Scarlett is now stuck in place halfway down my driveway in the common-access area of our condo circle. Dead starter and/or solenoid, I believe. :angry:

Take a hammer or something heavy/blunt and whack the starter with it

Could the '87 have a safety switch preventing start if the shift lever isn't notched into Park? Or is that a later feature?

No

You have a bad starter.

I went to the car, bypassed solenoid and applied 12VDC directly to starter - No Start.

Unless the cable from fender solenoid to starter is bad... Which I don't think, it seems to be solid. You have a bad starter.

Also, when attempting to start car bypassing solenoid, I hear sizzling. Possibly the starter motor. Your starter motor is doused in motor oil too. :(

Cable guy during the day: Taurus/Sable mechanic on the lunch break :lol:

• Like 1

I owe you a cold Sun Drop. :)

"a"??? So Kevin is worth like $1.25?? Lol

• Like 1

Ask Kevin what his selling-out price is. :P

Depends on my mood. Sometimes $3.50 is good enough :P

Sometimes I get classy and demand some Taco Bell Meal :P

• Like 2

Hahahaha! Truth.

:ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

:lol:

By the way, Thank you Nick and Jeff for confirming that a newer style starter will work and have no issues in an early car with the fender mounted solenoid. I did your modification to use the existing solenoid to drive the starter wire to the new starter solenoid. Brian's car now has a part from a Thunderbird, and that is just some thick copper wire that went for the driver's door. I love moving parts around. :D

The new starter came with a small pig tail.

IMG_2749.jpg

IMG_2750.jpg

IMG_2752.jpg

This, was actually the main issue. The wiring was so frayed at the end to the starter. Not getting a good connection to the starter.

I ended up stuffing the main starter wire, and the ignition lead into the same casing the old wiring was. All secure and safe :)

• Like 1

And the issue with my fender mounted solenoid sticking no longer exist. Glad it worked for you guys. :)

Wait so his starter was fine but the wiring was junk?  I remember on mine I replaced the main wire from the solenoid to the starter because it was just about to split into two pieces at the crimped end at the starter.