Anyone Take A Cell Phone From 1 Network To Another? Like Sprint To Vzw?

Like the title states, has anyone?

I've done extensive research... Apparently it's doable to take a Sprint phone to a Verizon Network, but nobody wants to help. I know I need to get the phone unlocked. Sprint won't unlock the phone either. I went to their store, and went to another store they suggested.

The phone in question is a Motorola ES400. http://www.motorola.com/Business/US-EN/Business+Product+and+Services/Mobile+Computers/Handheld+Computers/ES400_US-EN

Why? Well, this phone is amazing, and I don't really wanna pay for 2 contracts. I have Verizon for my personal line, and it's only $10 extra to add a line. Or paying for Sprint, which is a s**t network, for $100 + Taxes. The catch, I picked up the phone cheap used. I can always tether it, but tethering sucks up so much battery on both devices vs cellular.

If anyone is good at this, this is what I get when I insert a VZW/Vodafone SIM Card

ES400%20error.jpg

As long as the phone operates on the same CDMA bands, all you should have to do is get it unlocked. This will be harder to do because it appears that you don't have an account with Sprint so they really have no reason to unlock it for you. I know there is a SIM unlock tool out in the wild somewhere, let me see if I can pull it up.

Verizon and Sprint protocols may be different as well, meaning the way the phone talks to the network. That may be a problem.

According to the owners manual, it'll work, and I'd goto CDMA Setup, and select Verizon, and then it'd connect, then I'd call Verizon, provide the serial numbers and what not, and it'd work. However, Sprint put a blocker on this feature. From what I can tell, this phone is the same exact phone, just Sprint customized... This thing was designed to work on pretty much everything.

I wonder if I can find anything in the Windows Registry of the phone... Perhaps there are advantages to having WinMo...

Problem is, sprint and verizon are on way differnet bands, sprint uses 1900MHZ and verzon is down in the 800s, it is due to sprint using the PCS network, slowly sprint is using the former iDEN frequencies on phones, 800mhz. but predominantly it is 1900mhz. Verizon uses 1900/850, but i do beleive 1900 is the newer band and/or a roaming band so they can use any CDMA network, this is also why sprint phones can stink outside of their service area, normally they cannot roam to 850mhz.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellular_frequencies#Frequency_bands_used_in_the_United_States

AT&T and T-Mobile have an odd problem, you can use an AT&T or T-Mobile phone on each other with one caveat, 3G data..it will not work unless your phone is quad band. Different 3G data frequency, not sure about 4G

Like the others said, it will work if it is unlocked. I'd call VZW and ask them about it, I'm not an expert with sprint and vzw, but if you want to move an att phone to tmobile, tmobile can provide you with the unlock code.

If I were you I'd sell it and pick up a vzw version of it, no hoops to go through.

To my knowledge, VZW does not use SIM cards...try removing the card and supplying VZW with the numbers inside the battery compartment.

Sprint doesn't use sim cards either IIRC. Or do some of their phones use SIM's? I thought tmobile, at&t and the rest of the world used sim cards and those two didn't.

Edited by breeves002

YES! HAHAHAHA YES! I figured it out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Found a video on youtube, where someone uploaded files, to completely reflash the phone with factory OEM software. It's now on Verizon. Now to call Verizon and have her activated! All the Sprint software is 100% gone too!!!!

I dialed *228, and I got the "Welcome to Verizon Wireless Programming"

Wow... So simple, yet so hard. By the way, if anyone Bing/Google's ES400 Reflashing... And ends up here... Here's a useful site:

ftp://ftp.vpnsystems.com/support/Motorola/Reflash/

I could dual service the phone. So if 1 Network wasn't available, I could use something else, like AT&T or T-Mobile with GSM. The phone is supposed to be open. Sprint just had to mess it up. Another reason I hate Sprint. When I was at the Verizon Phone, and asked if I wanted to unlock my iPhone, or my old BlackBerry, they said they'd do it. Really it makes the company look better. I'm just hoping they will add another phone to my current account without any issues. I have unlimited everything on Verizon... :P

If you add another phone and go to the new mobile share plan, you will lose your unlimited data. But, you would gain unlimited minutes and messaging which you may or may not already have. I have the share plan on AT&T it's great, same price for more stuff. Double the data I had before, unlimited minutes, and free tethering! Plus, I have never used more than 1 GB per month. I'm usually around WiFi.

That's just the radio cabinet for AT&T's GSM system. 2G sucks balls. 3G is much easier to fix. 4G is back to sucking.

The top with the lights are the radios. Where the cable is going in are the band filters.

If you want to call it fancy things go right ahead.

I hate CDMA... Even though it's on the Network, I can call activation, and even call 611 and get to customer service. Yet they can't add the phone... Makes no sense. Because the system doesn't recognize the serial number since they never sold it. Pain in the *****... I wonder if there is any cheap Prepaid GSM carriers that provide cheap data...

Wow... Going to T-Mobile for a 2nd line is way cheaper than going to VZW to add a line to my account. With my employee discount. I'll be paying pretty darn near nothing. Think once my VZW contract is up... They may lose a customer if I like their service :P

Would have never looked around if they would have helped me. Phone obviously works on their network...

That's just the radio cabinet for AT&T's GSM system. 2G sucks balls. 3G is much easier to fix. 4G is back to sucking.

The top with the lights are the radios. Where the cable is going in are the band filters.

If you want to call it fancy things go right ahead.

GSM radio cabinets are vastly different from the CDMA cabinets I've worked with.

Oh, and as a side note pretty much all manufacturers will go to LTE for their 4G data due to speed & price, so I wouldn't be surprised if all cellular networks in this country get combined and we just have to pick our poison with companies.