SHO-WGN

Hurricane Sandy Damaged Vehicles

As the resident cheapskate and scrounger, and reading that there may be almost 15,000 vehicles damaged by Hurricane Sandy leads me to ask what happens to these vehicles. Believe it or not, we have had flooded vehicles up here as well. Our cars are written off and cannot be licensed or registered. However parts can be salvaged. Items such as wheels, etc. are the usual items.

2ihy1wx.jpg

Focus wheels: 17 " to 18" (all 5x108 mm)

So if anyone in New York and area sees storm damaged automobiles that cannot be registered, but parts may still be salvaged, here is what I am interested in obtaining: 2013 Focus ST engine and six speed manual transmission; Focus 2013 Focus 17" or larger wheels (these are 5 by 108 mm and will fit Taurus) and possibly the SHO twin turbo drive train.

Obviously I am looking for pennies on the dollar and even more obviously, I expect locals to snap these items up for themselves. If anyone sees these items, please forward the links or at least post them here. Thank you.

I doubt you gonna see any engines/trann for sale. There are relatively very few of these on the roads and they were most likely stored away for Sandy...

Yikes, I really hope anyone with that new of a car had it garaged or took it with them when evacuating! Good luck finding them!

i see dollar signs to be made if i could get a hold of some of them 200,000 personal vehicles damaged

As the resident cheapskate and scrounger, and reading that there may be almost 15,000 vehicles damaged by Hurricane Sandy leads me to ask what happens to these vehicles. Believe it or not, we have had flooded vehicles up here as well. Our cars are written off and cannot be licensed or registered. However parts can be salvaged. Items such as wheels, etc. are the usual items.

2ihy1wx.jpg

Focus wheels: 17 " to 18" (all 5x108 mm)

So if anyone in New York and area sees storm damaged automobiles that cannot be registered, but parts may still be salvaged, here is what I am interested in obtaining: 2013 Focus ST engine and six speed manual transmission; Focus 2013 Focus 17" or larger wheels (these are 5 by 108 mm and will fit Taurus) and possibly the SHO twin turbo drive train.

Obviously I am looking for pennies on the dollar and even more obviously, I expect locals to snap these items up for themselves. If anyone sees these items, please forward the links or at least post them here. Thank you.

I have to assume that you're joking about the ST engine and etc...

But I will say this... As far as a I know, the ST uses the same 2.0 Ecoboost as the Fusion, Escape, Taurus, Explorer, Edge and Land Rover Evoque use...

I highly doubt you will find any focus ST parts, those cars are in the first month or 2 of delivery plus they are almost a special order item, a dealer is not going to stock many if any of those.

You shouldnt have a problem finding crown vics, or transit connects.

http://www.nyctn.com...2c41038fe89.jpg

Transit would be ok for work but not as a personal vehicle.

Someday when they have started turning up in junkyards, I will probably try to nab some 2012+ Focus wheels for NOSHO. :wub:

Or, I'll just swap Kevin's current wheels for the Sable alloys in my garage... :ph34r:

Soooo, what happened to all the dealership vehicles in the areas most hit by Sandy? I've heard that automakers lost tens of thousands of brand new vehicles.

Edited by Radioflyer

Dealership cars are paid for by insurance companies just like any personal vehicle would be and then they are sent to the same auctions as all the other salvaged cars go to when they are totaled. Good chance some brand new cars will be coming up for auction soon as insurance totals....

Jeff

Dealership cars are paid for by insurance companies just like any personal vehicle would be and then they are sent to the same auctions as all the other salvaged cars go to when they are totaled. Good chance some brand new cars will be coming up for auction soon as insurance totals....

Jeff

There are fed health laws that prohibit rebuilding flood totals. In fact, if flood water gets inside and the carpet gets wet, they are supposed to totaled and crushed.

Not sure it is always done though.

-chart-

Where I used to live, they rebuilt and sold most of the cars flooded out. Illegal? Yes.

This is why the DOJ established a special fraud task force after Hurricane Katrina- lots of shady dealers were attempting to sell minimally repaired flood totaled cars from the Gulf Region as just "rebuilt", sometimes with fraudulent titles.

I guess we won't have to worry about getting parts from all the fiskar and Prius "green" cars that burned up. According to the manufacturers they are investigating as to the cause of their self combustion. Hmmm mega volts and salt water mix, might be a clue there somewhere. Manufacturers never want to admit their design is at fault until proven, even then they seem reluctant to admit anything.

Edited by mh488

Yeah, that is because they have to pay a crap ton of money and recall all of their cars :) luckily most cars are not flooded with water while someone is inside of it.

I have seen plenty of cars with a salvage title being sold... Don't know if they were flood related salvage, but they were salvage.

Edited by breeves002

Or, I'll just swap Kevin's current wheels for the Sable alloys in my garage... :ph34r:

It's okay to be jealous of my rims. They are beautiful. Why not look for a set on the Ebay? The Focus has a ton of great rim selection on the new model.

• Like 1

I guess we won't have to worry about getting parts from all the fiskar and Prius "green" cars that burned up. According to the manufacturers they are investigating as to the cause of their self combustion. Hmmm mega volts and salt water mix, might be a clue there somewhere. Manufacturers never want to admit their design is at fault until proven, even then they seem reluctant to admit anything.

Any Junior High student who actually paid attention in chemistry class could tell you that lithium (as found in many rechargeable batteries) and water don't mix well. It's annoying how people keep on b***hing about plug-in electric and hybrid cars with the same old complaints that have no merit. Yes, large lithium-ion batteries actually will have bad things happen to them when a superstorm throws half of the Atlantic Ocean in their direction... :rolleyes:

One can only hope. After posting, I watched the news and saw there were still people without electricity or homes. My apologies for being insensitive and greedy. I shoulda been more patient. Once again apologies.

I did hear of some fraudulent titled resale cars after Katrina, but I am just interested in parts. (For example the 2012 twin turbo SHO engines found by Spridget had us interested - except not available to Canada). I expect many of the write-offs after Sandy to also not be available to Canada.

Note to mmmfloorpie, no not at all joking. My other vehicle is a 2002 Focus wagon which is all SVT underneath: brakes, engine, suspension, exhaust, interior, instrument panel, and six-speed transmission. So seriously, if I could find a new Focus ST write-off (for a similar price as the wrecked SVT we used, i.e. $500) , I would pull all the important pieces and swap them into another vehicle, most likely a Generation 2 Taurus wagon with SHO sheet metal (and finally make my nom-de-plume on this forum true.) At my age, there are only two passions, shifting gears and long roofs (just about forgot the "f"). If you check the specifications, the new Focus matches Generation One/Two Taurus’s pretty close, wheel tread, weight, etc.

I would even consider Volvos (V70-R; S60-R) which also have six speed manuals and turbo motors. For the right price and the right parts, I am prepared to travel. That 2012 twin turbo SHO engine is still tempting (long road trip), but a six speed manual much more so.

With more eyes looking, the odds improve.

As others have mentioned, totalled cars are kept out of the public's hands by insurance companies and regulations. Maybe you should talk to a salvage yard in your area and they can alert you when a car you're interested-in arrives. They'd be in a positin to sell parts to you, but likely not at bargain-basement prices.

I wonder how many totalled flood cars will be loaded onto ships and find continued life (and clean paperwork) on another continent.

I could live with that, as I hate to see resources wasted. However if memory serves me, in the early 1980's GM tried to sell Malibu's in the Middle East. These cars were equipped with air conditioning and a three-speed, floor shift manual and not much else. The crap "Iraqi Taxi" did not sell, and GM proceeded to sell them over here. Except here, everybody wanted automatics. So not sure what happened to them. And the chances of them accepting water damage is small. The only country where there may still be a market is in Kazakhstan (old Soviet bloc).

The one thing that always impressed me was how Europeans could get option combinations we could only dream about. In Kiev (Ukraine) I spotted a Stratus sedan with a manual transmission and diesel power. Available in Europe, but not here. When we rented a car to get to our assigned observation district, only one of us had any experience with manuals (the fact he also had his International Driver's Permit with him also helped). Here, you would not find a manual if your life depended on it.

Edited by SHO-WGN

RedTruckChaser, you really know how to tease, don't you? That blast of warm air from the north was just me emoting a string of expletives deleted. Bad enough the photos show just enough to whet an appetite but not anywhere near enough to satiate. The crowning touch of course is the cars are parked on a "spare" paved airport. Marie Antoinette allegedly said (on the eve of the French Revolution) "No bread, let them eat cake." Half of my flying experience is into grass strips, and you have enough paved ones to use as parking lots. There is just no justice, you, you, cake-eaters.

Snapper Kuntz urged Autoblog to warn you, the reader, of the danger of purchasing flood-damaged cars like these, including damaged electrical and safety systems. In Sandy's case, he didn't just see these vehicles from the air:

beavis-and-butthead_zpsf642e39b.jpg

Uh huh huh huh, uh huh huh huh, Snapper Kuntz.

Hell, I'd take my chances with a nice flood damaged car. Like if there was a Corvette in there... Idc.