A Random, Yet Great Idea, Thoughts? (Heating The Apartment With Trans Cooler)

Let me give a bit of background first. I live on campus at the university of missouri st. louis. I live in apartments, but they are on campus. We pay for our own electricity, but thats it. Our hot water is free.

I had the most random idea today to save me a bunch of money on electricity (the furnace is electric not gas). I have a transmission cooler in my garage, and I was thinking of hooking up a garden hose to the end of my shower (take the head off and its a nice circle just perfect for a garden hose, then putting the other end to the cooler, then from the cooler to the bathtub.

Then I place the cooler standing up and put a small fan behind it... voila, free HEAT!

What I have been doing thus far is when it gets a bit chilly I turn the shower on full hot and it warms things up. Only problem is if I leave it on too long the whole room gets full of steam. Computers + steam = bad.

Ideas? I wonder if it would even work haha! Sounds more simple said than done. The only reason I even think it would work is the apartment is small (700 sq feet) and is 2 bdrm, 2bath, kitchen and living area are one unit separated by a bar like area. I could easily heat my bedroom, bath, and the living area with this simple cooler. Or at least my bedroom.... hah!

I'm just pumped on not paying much this winter in electric. What a waste of water though.

Edited by breeves002

I want to at least try it haha, YES it is a MASSIVE waste of water.

No one would knock on my door, these apartments dont have individual water meters so they will never know :) whats the worst that could happen, they tell me to stop?

Connect this between hot and cold lines with the cooler in the loop. No waste of water. Minimal electric cost.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100426993/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=hot+water+pump#.UJs_acU0V8F

85bb9697-6eb0-4e0f-93f7-9ef027309889_300.jpg

Yeah, but that costs a lot. I'm just going to try it my way for kicks. I doubt it will work very well, but we will see. There isn't an easy way to recirculate it. I'm literally connecting one to my shower head and the other end dumps into the tub. There should be enough pressure to go through.

Well if I just leave the shower on full hot it warms up the entire bathroom and bedroom. I was planning on placing the cooler at the bathroom door with a fan blowing into the bedroom. I just thought of it and want to try it haha. I think I will be trying this on Monday. I'll let you know if I do, how it works, and take a picture. If it doesn't work well, then screw it just wasted a bit of time having fun. No money spent, no harm done.

I want to at least try it haha, YES it is a MASSIVE waste of water.

No one would knock on my door, these apartments dont have individual water meters so they will never know :) whats the worst that could happen, they tell me to stop?

Though could still try and investigate into the issue. At worst they could start making everyone pay for their water.

What I just thought of is you would probabaly over work the hot water heater and maybe eventually use up the hot water affecting everyone else around you.

That is my thought. If its an electric hot water heater though, then it won't change. The electric ones give constant, instant hot water. I doubt that though. We will see. If it doesn't work at all I'm just going to scrap it. Just seemed like an interesting thing to do haha, no harm done if I end up not using it.

You could use thermodynamics to figure out if this would be effective, but it will waste alot of water. I have constructed a make shift aquarium cooler using a water cooler, pumped the hot aquarium water into the cold water tank of the water cooler where a big coil of hose was suspended, it cooled the 75 gallon tank several degrees. But it was clearly a loop, not an opened ended system.

That is my thought. If its an electric hot water heater though, then it won't change. The electric ones give constant, instant hot water. I doubt that though. We will see. If it doesn't work at all I'm just going to scrap it. Just seemed like an interesting thing to do haha, no harm done if I end up not using it.

Wait, do you know if you have a insta-hot or a water heater? [With a tank].

Insta-hot's pull a large amount of electricity to run, running constantly would make the electric bill skyrocket.

I don't actually know. My guess is it is a water heater with a tank. Either a very large one or many. It is for many different apartments (for the entire building with 24 units).

It doesn't go on my bill though for hot water.

Use something larger, like a condenser coil to get enough surface area to even matter. Then, take the exit water and use it to drive a fan, so you don't have to pay for the electricity to run the fan.