Thub

Thoughts On Cafe Mocha

So I felt like I should check the oil on the explorer, make sure everything is good. I found this.

Portage-20121020-00276.jpg

Ok so here it goes, I know this is not a good sign.

1. I caught the truck doing this last winter and it was running fine.

2. I changed the oil twice this summer and saw no signs of mocha, last changed in august maybe 1200miles ago (5w-30 MC fl820s) Currently the Oil looks clean and smells normal.

3. I have not noticed a drop in the coolant level, truck runs fine and has no smells

4. I think it is whipping up because of the super short drive to school every morning, the truck never gets to fully warm up, even with 5min of idling before I go and taking the long way + idling another 2-3min in the parking lot. Mositure is building up in the oil and its not cooking off, (its been below 40 degrees every morning here I try to take it on longer drives during the week and on the weekend to let the engine really get warmed up.

5. I have now wiped the cap clean and will check it again in a week, I am also going to make a note of cold coolant level in the overflow.

Has anyone seen this before and confirm it is not a head gasket leak. At the moment I do not believe it is a internal problem due to the fact that it foamed last winter and didn't this summer.

So I felt like I should check the oil on the explorer, make sure everything is good. I found this.

Portage-20121020-00276.jpg

Ok so here it goes, I know this is not a good sign.

1. I caught the truck doing this last winter and it was running fine.

2. I changed the oil twice this summer and saw no signs of mocha, last changed in august maybe 1200miles ago (5w-30 MC fl820s) Currently the Oil looks clean and smells normal.

3. I have not noticed a drop in the coolant level, truck runs fine and has no smells

4. I think it is whipping up because of the super short drive to school every morning, the truck never gets to fully warm up, even with 5min of idling before I go and taking the long way + idling another 2-3min in the parking lot. Mositure is building up in the oil and its not cooking off, (its been below 40 degrees every morning here I try to take it on longer drives during the week and on the weekend to let the engine really get warmed up.

5. I have now wiped the cap clean and will check it again in a week, I am also going to make a note of cold coolant level in the overflow.

Has anyone seen this before and confirm it is not a head gasket leak. At the moment I do not believe it is a internal problem due to the fact that it foamed last winter and didn't this summer.

Yes I have seen it, and the first thing to check is the PCV, it's hoses.

That system is your lifeline to keeping condensing water out of your oil.

See pic of mine after cleaning and changing PCV>

-chart-

I'll check on the PCV valve, and pretty much any vaccum lines?

After locating the PCV (it is in a terrible spot). I think i defiantly got a problem. The valve cover right around and below the PCV is covered in grease and oil.

Having the pages related to replacing it from my shop manual emailed to me from back home, I'll have to order or go get a new valve at the dealer this week.

I get that in my cars too. Short commute and cold temperatures. I change the oil every 2500 miles and Seafoam periodically to help clean the crankcase. So far it hasn't caused any issues, and my newest car is a 2000.

Common problem in vehicles that don't get warmed up regularly. Oil temp has to get above 212 to boil out the moisture that condensed, then the PCV system can remove the vapor.

Common problem in vehicles that don't get warmed up regularly. Oil temp has to get above 212 to boil out the moisture that condensed, then the PCV system can remove the vapor.

If the PCV is working in top condition, much of it will be sucked out as you go along, but not all of it.

My '01 TEC has been used for years, most of my trips are 1 or 1.5 miles each way. I went to change the air filter and found water and oil in the accordian and streaks where it had run down the plenum toward the filter. I was concernec about blowby being high but realized, I did not know where the PCV was.

Read up and found that the elbow was prone to fail and the PCV was hard to get out. (it screws in/out and has a squre shape).

Changed PCV, and hoses, cleaned up the accordian and such and no more issues with that, and no more cream in the cap.

-chart-

Well, I ordered a new motorcraft PCV valve, should be here this week. I just wish the thing was easier to get at. See the attached jpeg from the service manual, that is drivers side valve cover and that is right against the firewall.

post-1708-0-29645400-1350846218_thumb.jp

Well, I ordered a new motorcraft PCV valve, should be here this week. I just wish the thing was easier to get at. See the attached jpeg from the service manual, that is drivers side valve cover and that is right against the firewall.

Note, that bulletin is not your engine.

That is 4.0 SOHC engine used in small pickups, never used in a Taurus.

-chart-

Check my original post chart, I've dealing with the Exploder

My second vehicle

image_url-1708-1347745427.jpg

Check my original post chart, I've dealing with the Exploder

My second vehicle

image_url-1708-1347745427.jpg

OK, that makes sense, easy to see how it is hard to get to.

Vulcans are usually easy. And Vulcan PCV is available and most any parts place.

-chart-

Replaced the PCV valve today, it was not easy like it should be. The old one was pretty gummed up and didn't have much metallic rattle to it.

Old and New

IMG_1344.jpg

Here you can see the cramped quarters, you can see the other nipple on the intake manifold, the pcv is located on the back of the valve cover right below and next to the throttle cable coming out of the firewall. It is impossible to completly see.

IMG_1346.jpg