Detroit Homeowner Forced To Share Home With Squatter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG3UyEC_Two

My grandparents faced a similar problem many years ago with a family of squatters. Local law enforcement could not physically remove them. Before the legal system was able to make a decision, the squatters destroyed the property and left in the middle of the night. As they left, they ignited a huge pile of trash in the backyard. The cinders caught the nearby pasture on fire. My elderly grandparents, and my terminally ill aunt who was living (dying) with them, worked through the night to put the fire out (its in a remote rural area with no fire dept).

What would you do to remove a squatter (without waiting on the legal system)?

Change locks. Reinforce doors. All squatter's posessions in the back yard and set up a tent from Harbor Freight. Set up a sign in the FRONT yard, explaining that all of squatter's property is unsecured in the BACK yard.

Nice big dog in the house too.

Lockouts on the gas, water and electrical in case squatter actually forces way back into house, nothing will work.

What would you do to remove a squatter (without waiting on the legal system)?

12 gauge works wonders... :quickdraw:

• Like 5

While quite effective, I'm not sure that is just exactly in the escence of the question posed. I think now it would involve police, handcuffs, a night in jail, etc.

It would have and should have probably been used on day one, with a hefty dose of "there was an intruder and I feared for my life".

Just another piece of crap not worth going to jail for, working the system. Use it against her. I never removed her property from the premises, others did. I gave her alternate shelter, I did not kick her off my property.

Lmao, Detroit. Maybe I should just go take over an abandoned house in Detroit :lol:

Im right with JW. my 10 guage pump would be a lovely persuasion/negotiation tool

$had3 :ford::merc::Shady_J: