Sign in to follow this  
tRus03

I Hope I Don't Need A New Transmission

Hello all! My Centennial has 62K miles, the AX4N transaxle with the fluid within specifications, and the trans fluid was just changed out one year/ 4000 miles ago (it's still bright red and doesn't smell burnt). The Ford dealer performed the service, and I told the service advisor I just wanted the pan dropped and the filter changed. I specified I didn't want the trans power-flushed. Also, there is no check-engine light or transaxle light at the moment. About three years ago, I was coming home from school and was at a red-light. I went to accelerate and the engine just revved. I let off the accelerator and tried again and the trans banged into gear and the car started moving again. The car hadn't done that since. At that time the trans fluid was fairly new with no more than 6000 miles of use. Then about a year ago, I noticed a new problem when I had driven in stop-and-go traffic for awhile. When I would press on the accelerator from a red-light or stop-sign, the car jerked/shuddered then went into first gear. After the car was moving, everything seemed OK. And it would only do this shudder once maybe twice after I had driven the car for awhile in the stop-and-go traffic. This past weekend I was driving the car in heavy stop-and-go traffic, and it did the jerk/shudder from a stop seven times in 10 miles. But it did it intermittently. For example, I would take off from a light and the car would shudder. Then I'd get to the next light and it would take off just fine. And again, it only does this when I've been driving the car for extended periods of time, and it does doesn't matter if the gear selector is in Driver or Overdrive. On top of this, sometimes the transmission shifts are erratic. The car will shift fine from 1-2, 2-3, but when it shifts into 4th gear, it will immediately shift back into 3rd gear, then right back to 4th again. This will happen sporadically, and the car can be either hot or cold when it shifts like this. I always thought this might be from the adaptive shift control with the trans. I just did a tune-up on it and replaced the spark plugs and wires, PCV valve and hose, UIM gaskets, and cleaned the throttle body. Other regular maintenance has been kept up on, and I don't abuse this car at all. I was curious if anyone had any ideas on what my problem might be. I'm aware of the weak points on these transmissions, and my initial thought was that the torque converter might be my problem. But I'm also wondering if maybe the OSS or the throttle position sensor might be the culprit. It's just weird how this shudder problem is intermittent after driving for awhile. I would think if the trans had an internal problem, the symptoms would be present every time I took off from a stop after driving for awhile. All thoughts and advice are welcome! As always, thanks for the help! smile.gif

Edited by tRus03

Hello all! My Centennial has 62K miles, the AX4N transaxle with the fluid within specifications, and the trans fluid was just changed out one year/ 4000 miles ago (it's still bright red and doesn't smell burnt). The Ford dealer performed the service, and I told the service advisor I just wanted the pan dropped and the filter changed. I specified I didn't want the trans power-flushed. Also, there is no check-engine light or transaxle light at the moment. About three years ago, I was coming home from school and was at a red-light. I went to accelerate and the engine just revved. I let off the accelerator and tried again and the trans banged into gear and the car started moving again. The car hadn't done that since. At that time the trans fluid was fairly new with no more than 6000 miles of use. Then about a year ago, I noticed a new problem when I had driven in stop-and-go traffic for awhile. When I would press on the accelerator from a red-light or stop-sign, the car jerked/shuddered then went into first gear. After the car was moving, everything seemed OK. And it would only do this shudder once maybe twice after I had driven the car for awhile in the stop-and-go traffic. This past weekend I was driving the car in heavy stop-and-go traffic, and it did the jerk/shudder from a stop seven times in 10 miles. But it did it intermittently. For example, I would take off from a light and the car would shudder. Then I'd get to the next light and it would take off just fine. And again, it only does this when I've been driving the car for extended periods of time, and it does doesn't matter if the gear selector is in Driver or Overdrive. On top of this, sometimes the transmission shifts are erratic. The car will shift fine from 1-2, 2-3, but when it shifts into 4th gear, it will immediately shift back into 3rd gear, then right back to 4th again. This will happen sporadically, and the car can be either hot or cold when it shifts like this. I always thought this might be from the adaptive shift control with the trans. I just did a tune-up on it and replaced the spark plugs and wires, PCV valve and hose, UIM gaskets, and cleaned the throttle body. Other regular maintenance has been kept up on, and I don't abuse this car at all. I was curious if anyone had any ideas on what my problem might be. I'm aware of the weak points on these transmissions, and my initial thought was that the torque converter might be my problem. But I'm also wondering if maybe the OSS or the throttle position sensor might be the culprit. It's just weird how this shudder problem is intermittent after driving for awhile. I would think if the trans had an internal problem, the symptoms would be present every time I took off from a stop after driving for awhile. All thoughts and advice are welcome! As always, thanks for the help! smile.gif

I would suspect TPS and TRS.

Bad signals do bad things for trans.

Clearly it is not broken, just does not do the right thing.

And then speed sensors could be an issue.

I had one some years ago, where it suddenly decided to start in "2" and always skip "1".

Also shift points were by speed and ignored the throttle position.

Turns out the electrical connector to the trans had come partially unplugged.

Next time it does not want to go, move selector to "1" and cause a manual shift to start.

Just some random thoughts.

-chart-

http://www.taurusowners.com/topic/4173-transmission-trouble-check-here-first/

:)

My 2000 did that once "I went to accelerate and the engine just revved. I let off the accelerator and tried again and the trans banged into gear and the car started moving again."

Not very comforting!

Thanks for the suggestions Chart!

Thanks Nick! Yeah, it's not comforting at all, especially since I was on a heavily traveled roadway with a lot of rush-hour traffic stuck behind beeping at me! I'll take a look at that diagnostic chart - it's much appreciated!

So my 05 with the AX4N is doing the same overdrive shudder issue and shifts to OD at approx 40 no matter the incline or throttle position. What do you guys suggest checking for sure. Because it started doing it after I got an oil change done by the dealership...

1998 mercury sable wagon. Duratec engine with the AX4N trans. Won't shift into OD. In busy stop/go traffic after driving for 20-30 mins the OD flashes continually. When I stop he car and restart the engine the OD light is off until I drive again in busy stop/go traffic. If the vehicle gets to an Interstate before the OD light starts flashing the light typically doesn't come on. Any thoughts?

1998 mercury sable wagon. Duratec engine with the AX4N trans. Won't shift into OD. In busy stop/go traffic after driving for 20-30 mins the OD flashes continually. When I stop he car and restart the engine the OD light is off until I drive again in busy stop/go traffic. If the vehicle gets to an Interstate before the OD light starts flashing the light typically doesn't come on. Any thoughts?

When was the last time the fluid was changed? I'm thinking it either can't build enough pressure to shift (unlikely) or the solenoid is failing; possibly related to the trans temp.

start the car and unplug the neutral safety switch / Transmission range sensor.

This will lock the PCM into overdrive (you will have no reverse lights but all gears will work).

go take it for a drive with this unplugged and see if your shuddering / bang shifting is gone.  If so likely culprit is the TRS/NSS.

Went through this myself with the SHO...

Just left the following message in another section of the forum...   Am a newbie and don't know which section is best to post...

I got a transmission leak, but mine is a different story.   It's also DOHC 3.0 engine.   OD light started blinking at 65-70 mph and popped out of gear, so I pulled over and checked fluid level.   It was clear and seemed not to be low, but later learned I should have had the engine on for it to read properly.  When I restarted engine it seemed to be driving OK...(though later realized it hadn't been going into OD).    Had to finish the trip, but after another 100 or so miles and under load against wind the OD light acted up again and this time after pulling over couldn't get it into gear again.   Tow truck driver noted fluid on the right side and on tire as he pulled it up to drop ioff at a tranny shop.  

Next day (after grueling sleepless night in the car), mechanic topped off fluid to move it, tightened a couple of pan bolts, but said he couldn't tell where the leak had come from.  Said it could be the main seal??   Recommended I get 2 gal of fluid and a long neck funnel and finish my trip.   I went another 80 miles without losing fluid and the tranny seemed fine.  That's when I noticed the RPM's were closer to 2K than 2.5K doing 65-70.  

Anyhoo...what gives?  Anybody know if this is an intermittent up shift celinoid problem, sensor issue, or what?   I haven't driven it for safety and inconvenience reasons...last thing I need is another freezing sleepless night.

Your help would be greatly appreciated as this 96 has only 60K miles and is in great shape otherwise.