TaurusDailyDriver

Probably Getting A New Car!

My sable has 155k and still going strong, original engine and tranny just my 2 cents

I agree, but only one sample/example.

I have had 7 Taurus/Sables and 5 Lin Cont. (use the same tranny)

Driving ~40K a year between two at a time.

One Lin new, others all used. Taurus/Sables all except for my present went to daughters.

No tran failures.

Recall on '91 Lin Cont, they did something but I am not sure what. I think it had to do with failing to engage "R" sometimes.

I tried to tow U-Haul trailer in OD in very hot weather. Cooked seal in TQ, replace that TQ. Likely had ~140K at the time.

However, I do change the filter and fluid from time to time, but not necessarily on time.

Also, I never ran one over 200K, nor did my daughters. I sold my '87 with ~190K. (Both daughters drove it and it came back to me.)

Idler pully lost and cooked engine, and rusty bad '95 junked at about 170K.

Others, no idea after daughters sold. Lin all traded before 100K. (ok last one 101K)

Maint pays.-_-

Just my $0.02 worth.

-chart-

I can't believe Brian's 05 is that rusty, my 02 is rusty but its not that bad yet, maybe close to the same stage of rust but its 3 years older and lives 200+ miles further north. And if the original owner would have just spent the extra 600 and got the undercoating it would be rust free.

When we bought the escape we choose to get the undercoating and wow that stuff is still holding out strong 10 years later. My dad also paid the extra 800 or so to have the entire bottom and insides of the quarter panels sprayed when he bought his 2010 fusion. 2 years later and that is looking great.

Update on where the search takes me.

The 2002 SE has been dropped. The guy selling it was strange.

I am still thinking about checking out the 01 Sable, but am weary with the high miles... and seeing that I don't know its maintenance history. It is a one owner though. The one owner could have run a meth lab out of it so who knows.My point is one owner isn't always a good thing.

I am going to be checking out a 2005 this weekend hopefully. It is about an hour south of me.

2005 SE 130k miles $3500obo

5I55L35Z53Gd3Ic3Jcc8u29f654c368111997.jpg

http://utica.craigsl...3239396755.html

I am also checking out this during the weekend

98 Sable LS loaded 74?k

5L35Ge5E83K23Ib3M2c9qe7518961af9210a6.jpg

http://syracuse.crai...3298683539.html

Those two are likely going to be checked out.

Others on my plate are below.

2002 Taurus SE 122k $2695 (I see another Taurus in the background.. so I imagine this guy knows his stuff)

5Le5E45F73F33L73Jec9qa70210161c0014dd.jpg

http://syracuse.crai...3297304579.html

00 Taurus SE 75k $2995 (the blue above seems like a better buy) and likely to be dropped due to rust and lack of history

5Ga5E95K13G13L43m3c9p5cedc324de7815d0.jpg

http://syracuse.crai...3296356200.html

Edited by TaurusDailyDriver

Checked out the 2005... kind of disappointed. It needs lots of work. Bunch of minor stuff.. and lots of road noise, which sounds like a bearing. Needs an alignment too. A/C compressor is going. Brakes are very spongy. As the guy said the CEL isn't on and it runs great, I start it up and it misfired. CEL was on.. sure enough P0300. He probably wasn't too happy. Original plugs and wires. There are quite a bit of dings and dents.. and the worst.. an aftermarket sunroof. The good was that the tranny shifted so smoothly and there was little rust on the frame. Oil was changed religiously. The exhaust system was intact. Feel like this option is going to be out. I will wait til I find something perfect.

Pictures:

1yl2rd.jpg

qzkcnc.jpg

262nqk9.jpg

2dspah1.jpg

msn6vq.jpg

27yd8ci.jpg

Thoughts???

The good thing is that I drove 2 hours round trip and averaged 28.6 MPG with my bull, and she rode so well after driving that 2005.

Edited by TaurusDailyDriver

I would go check out that green 01 or 00 Lx, it looks nice and that green really does catch your eye.

Like you said it wouldn't be hard to add keyless entry and such with a different gem.

Coolant hasn't been changed in awhile..look how nasty that bottle is.

That aftermarket sunroof is awful. Run away from the car. Let someone else deal with the leaky roof in a few years.

The OEM Taurus roof is good because the moonroof curves to the roof line. Most aftermarket stuff is straight. Doesn't work.

Yeah, I am definitely dropping this one then. I guess it was too good to be true.. a 2005 for $3500. Well I know why it was so cheap now. Oh well. That green LX sure does look nice.

And yes Nick, I agree about that sunroof. I knew going there that it had a Sunroof, and I have seen some SE's with hubcaps with a factory moonroof like this one.X3350_17.jpg

Very rare, and I was hoping it was that... but once I saw it was that cheap pop up, it turned me away from it immediately.

So it continues! I will keep you posted if you care to follow my car search. Always a good thing when adding a bull to the family.

Checked out two more cars.

The 2001 Sable was nothing I would want. It had been in an accident before and repaired with junkyard parts. Behind the doors, the metal was bent in. One of the back doors flew open around turns and the door handle was seized.. The grille was screwed on. The back frame was cracked. The seats were in terrible shape. The funny thing is that it ran and drove flawlessly, and it had no dogleg rust. The guy was working on another car while I was there. That Duratec was purring like it had 50k on it, but the body said otherwise. It was beat. That is off the list though...

Pictures:

28ugtco.jpg

20j48r4.jpg

Wish I got more pics of that. Sorry about it being turned too.

The next I checked out was the Silver 2000 Taurus SE. Build Date 10/99. 75k miles.

This thing was beautiful for being 13 years old. It ran great, and was super clean. Brakes were responsive... steering was tight. Engine purred. The only bad thing was rust and that it needed new headlights and a new taillight.... and the rust wasn't minor either. The rust is scaring me away.

Pictures:

1f91y0.jpg

2jcalo9.jpg

Don't know why this angle keeps turning. Oh well. Yes my girlfriend came along with me haha.

257d10g.jpg

2e1g7yt.jpg

The Cancer:

2elcu3q.jpg

Driving back, I Spotted this 2002 Sable GS with 158k on the clock. People weren't there so I had no chance to look closer at it. Needs a back bumper. No rust on dog leg. Frame in good condition. It looks like it has SAS in the last picture but I think it is the angle of how it is sitting on the lawn.

ila7fn.jpg

11vh6xu.jpg

pojrs.jpg

Input Welcome!

Have neglected this thread for some time now. The search continued.. and we didn't find much that was worth while.

We are looking at one car right now.. and if all checks out, it is ours!

2003 Taurus SES with the Vulcan but it has 35k miles. Yes, only 35k. And the cost? $4000. Of course it will benefit from a change of fluids, but $4000 is a steal. It looks mint and has NO rust.

Have neglected this thread for some time now. The search continued.. and we didn't find much that was worth while.

We are looking at one car right now.. and if all checks out, it is ours!

2003 Taurus SES with the Vulcan but it has 35k miles. Yes, only 35k. And the cost? $4000. Of course it will benefit from a change of fluids, but $4000 is a steal. It looks mint and has NO rust.

Sounds like a hell of a deal, my 04 SEL with 42k was $7.5 (and that was a tad below book!).