TaurusDailyDriver

Probably Getting A New Car!

Well it is time to get a new car. Don't worry, my baby isn't going anywhere!! My sister has just gotten her license and my parents want her to be getting a car instead of driving my mom's Sienna or my dad's Corolla.

Of course I am jumping on this opportunity to get a new Taurus or Sable in the family. I have talked my parents into looking at this 1996, and who knows... it may be ours soon.

http://syracuse.crai...3172194770.html

1996 Sable LS 61k

5K35F25M33n93F13J9c7u3c08838dc43b10c0.jpg

Options are still open so we will be looking around, but of course I want nothing but a Ford!

Here is another we may look at.

03 Centennial 86k miles

5L95E65Ka3E73K23F8c973367868ac5671948.jpg

http://syracuse.crai...3256479497.html

And another we will be looking at

02 SE 113k

5L25F75Mf3E13Je3H8c9g6c69ccfb17b31e38.jpg

http://syracuse.crai...3275371355.html

Edited by TaurusDailyDriver

So is the '06 staying with you, or passing to your sister? :)

Easy, take the centennial 03, why would you want to buy a car that is almost 20 years old, let alone the first model year of that generation I think that 96 sable would be a mistake, go for the 03.

+1, get her the Centennial Edition SEL. cool.gif

• Like 1

Was leaning towards that. Cause when she is done using it, I will have my own place hopefully.. or atleast somewhere to keep it so I can buy it off my parents. Always wanted to have a Centennial. The bad thing is that it is the most expensive.

Whichever one still has rockers on it and good dog leg/rear wheel well arches would be my pick..being in the rust belt, that should be on your radar since you're dealing with 10+ year old cars :)

Like Nick said, rust is key. If that centennial is satisfactory, that's the easy pick out of the bunch.

Get the Centennial!!!! smile.gif

No matter which one your family gets... :worthlesswithoutpics:

:creeper:

Haha well it may take some time. Other options may surface. I will however make sure the only logo on the car is a Ford oval. Mercury of course too. No imports! My parents seem to like Toyotas. I don't have to worry about mopar or GM. I'll be taking a look at all the cars. I have seen the 1996 up close and it is in great condition for the year and there is no rust. The others I will check out. There is rust on the 2002 SE per the ad. You bet the second there is a new car, pics will be up. Will have to be patient though... That's how you get the best car. I love the centennial but I am not going to go nuts over it because it is a centennial. I'm gonna treat it as just another Taurus cause I don't want its flashiness blinding me if it has problems in the drivetrain, rust, or a poor history.

I have seen some mint looking cars at the junkyard...doglegs all look good. Then I open the doors, and notice brown metal peeking from rocker plastic molding. I remove it...and it doesn't take much effort, the rockers are gone! A black 01 from Rhode Island was a great example at the yard. Mint inside and out. No rockers were left :lol:

And the brake lines...were Ford uses plastic molding to hold the line sto the body without any rust proofing on them, that'll turn your brake lines into swiss cheese.

Haha well it may take some time. Other options may surface. I will however make sure the only logo on the car is a Ford oval. Mercury of course too. No imports! My parents seem to like Toyotas. I don't have to worry about mopar or GM. I'll be taking a look at all the cars. I have seen the 1996 up close and it is in great condition for the year and there is no rust. The others I will check out. There is rust on the 2002 SE per the ad. You bet the second there is a new car, pics will be up. Will have to be patient though... That's how you get the best car. I love the centennial but I am not going to go nuts over it because it is a centennial. I'm gonna treat it as just another Taurus cause I don't want its flashiness blinding me if it has problems in the drivetrain, rust, or a poor history.

You really live in the RUST belt, so hard to find rust free up there.

Bad enough here is southern NY.

I went 150 miles S to get my rust free '03 Sable, and 375 miles S to get my rust free, pristine, Lin.

I checked out CarFax and skipped a few that did not look all that bad.

One '03 Taurus SES, had 7 owners and been through the auction 3 times. Did not look all that bad. But I passed this one.

Good luck with your choice.

-chart-

Yeah, tell me about it. Rust is starting to attack my 2006.

Anyways... the Centennial is looking out of our budget.

These have become options:

http://syracuse.craigslist.org/cto/3275576950.html

2003 SE 127k

5Ld5N25H73La3Ma3N2c9gae97841adaa814a6.jpg

00 LX 87k

5Ib5Q35Fc3Kb3Mf3H2c9m17d0d8de92661b45.jpg

http://syracuse.craigslist.org/ctd/3289467674.html

Anyone know anything about the reliability of Ford ZX2s? Looking to get around an 02-04. I know to stay away from early Ford Focuses up to about 2003/4 as well. I am focusing on a Taurus or Sable though of course!!!

And I know to stay away from Mopar and GM :D Don't worry!!

Why not a vacation trip down to the southeast, pick up a rust free one, and drive it back? :) Some dealers do that for a living in your neck of the woods...

Why not a vacation trip down to the southeast, pick up a rust free one, and drive it back? :) Some dealers do that for a living in your neck of the woods...

Agree but do not have to go all that far.

And check where the car has been.

See pics, one is '01 and '02.

Rusty is always been in NY.

Not rusty is from VA.

Under the rear bumper area is a good indicator for overall rust condition. When rust is not showing yet in the ususal places, it can be seen here.

You can fix almost anything on a car, but rust goes bone deep.

-chart-

Thanks Chart! Yes I will definitely be keeping a lookout for that rust in these areas. This site as well as the other one has helped me learn a lot about what to look for on these cars.

The second picture is what mine is starting to look like :(

I HATE rust. I'd love to take a trip down south but it is just not feasible though, haha. That LX caught my eye, even with intense lack of features that trim had. I like that green and it is 2000 MY only. The Red has rust, but is affordable. And the silver above looks like mine as far as rust goes.. some but nothing too bad yet. The 1996 is something we may shy away from due to age. There are no decent gen 4 Sables for sale at the moment up here.. There are many sweet wagons, but I am not allowed to get one of those. Ha as much as I'd love to...

Here's the not-so-pretty side of a car that has always been in the Great Lakes region...

IMG_6368.jpg

IMG_4345.jpg

:(

I'll have to get some pictures of my car's underside. It is about at that stage.. it was a PA car until about May 2006. Rust makes me cry.

Anyways.. The first car I am thinking about looking at is that 2003 SE. It won't be til the weekend.. but it seems to be the easiest one to check out. Hope it isn't rusted too terribly.

Ouch, should trade it for a new Focus. Boron Steel, won't rust easily. :ph34r:

You and your Focus!!! Haha

Nothing is being traded.. I cannot trade in my Taurus unless it has way too many problems. This is the best kind of new to me car.. one that just comes along without losing anything... except money of course.

Well... I can wish right?

1997 SHO 110k

5N15K35P03m13Ia3Mcc93cb1a5253d47d1826.jpg

but there is just no way.. money pit. :unsure:

This one is also added to the list..

2001 Sable LS 146k -- $1595

5I95Gd5Ja3G53K63L1c9p91f03c1ba6fd1022.jpg

http://syracuse.craigslist.org/cto/3294941761.html

and it seems to be between this 01 Sable, and the silver 2002 SE from the first post. The 2000 LX is from a dealer.. want to do private sale only. The red 2003 SE has too much rust.

Wouldn't touch a V8SHO with a 10 ft pole.

Unless you are Mr. Riddles, then proceed full steam ahead!

Sable could be nice. Price is good. if it needs a trans in 20k, big deal, you got the car for $1500. If it truly has little rust, I think that car is a bargain, esp if it runs, drives, and handles well.

Guess NY requires inspection/emission checks?

Ha yeah exactly why I said money pit.

The SHO sure is pretty though. :wub:

But as far as the Sable goes, it seems to be in fair shape per the ad. Of course I will bring my camera along when I check out these cars and report back here. But for some reason, the higher miles on it hasn't scared me on this car... but probably because of the price. Exactly, if it dies soon, it was cheap. And it will only be driven about 5k miles a year tops.

That 2002 Silver Frost SE had one previous owner and has 113k. Asking $3500, but I'm sure that is negotiable.

A 1998 Sable LS with 74k may get thrown into the mix but I think I want to stay 2000+.

Yes, NY requires emissions and Inspection certificates be renewed every year. They are very picky.

inspectionSticker.png

Edited by TaurusDailyDriver

Wouldn't touch a V8SHO with a 10 ft pole.

How's that V8SHO working out for ya, Nick?