Lets Talk Obd3

rknight

You are probably too young to remember the promises made at the debut of the Illinois seatbelt laws.

"We SWEAR that not wearing a seatbelt will never be a level one citation," Meaning that not wearing a seatbelt can never be used as a reason to pull someone over, and that a seatbelt infraction is only a minor infraction, only an add on to being pulled over for a larger infraction like speeding, etc.

The they "progressively" changed the law after it was allowed to be put in place. A little progressive chip here, a little progressive chip there, and BANG - all of the sudden, the "harmless" little seatbelt law had teeth. And it was a PRIMARY reason to set up road blocks, and used as an excuse to pull people over and ticket them, while doing a near full body search on the hapless driver who was harming no one.

This OBD 3 "Discussion" has every earmark of the old seatbelt "Discussion". You lack the life experience to be scared. By the time you get that experience it will be too late for this issue.

Listen to your elder, young Padawan. This may be the first time you are experiencing this sh!t in your lifetime, but it is surely not the first time a "Discussion" has turned into more oppression.

Now is the time to make sure to kill it with fire and make sure it and its supporters stay dead.

The only thing I want need my car to do is start when I turn the key and respond loudly to my right foot.

This Big Brother s**t can bend over and prepare for my size 13, no lube.

Throttle-by-wire is essentially OBD-III, AFAIC. The driver no longer has control over the engine (or the brakes and steering for that matter). The driver "asks" for permission, and the computer decides how much to give.

New cars do have some basic data logging, pretty much logs speed, brake use, accelerator position, so if you get into an accident, they can look at your data and see if you were being Speed Racer, or a defensive driver.

New cars do have some basic data logging, pretty much logs speed, brake use, accelerator position, so if you get into an accident, they can look at your data and see if you were being Speed Racer, or a defensive driver.

OnStar has done that its' entire existence.

Mmmm, I love OnStar. I seriously wish my Focus came with OnStar factory equipped with all the features the new GM's have with it. Push a button on my cell phone, my grandpa's Chevrolet starts up, or unlocks, or whatever. Push another button, instant readout of the car's vitals. Oil, tires, fuel level, MPG, odometer reading.

And because my grandparents are old, if the airbags ever deploy, or the red button is pushed, Chevy will be there with help. Very comforting feeling :)

Those "Black Boxes" have been around in a large number of cars and trucks since the late 90's. They are often tied in with the airbags making them difficult to override.

To see if your car has one you can go here -

http://www.harristechnical.com/cdr.htm

Scroll down a little and download the PDF

Vehicles with an EDR on board.

I don't like them, but at least if one's car is smashed into a guard rail spewing antifreeze, a cop now has reasonable cause to stop and search you and see what your car's computer has to say about what's going on.